What's new

Xikar cutter?

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Keep an I out for it at JR's. They have it on sale for $19.99 often. They also sell it as a combo pack with 4 cigars for $29.99.

c10bonanza

Officially Clueless
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been searching around, and about the cheapest I have been able to find a Xikar cutter (ebay xi2) was around $40 shipped.

Does anyone know of a cheaper source? Or, does anybody have a used one they would be willing to sell?

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
c10bonanza said:
jc...Did you end up ordering the Xi2 here? If so, how do you like this model. I don't know enough about the Xi to warrant the price difference. The Xi2 looks nice though!
Yes I did. I got it for $30 with a 4 cigar sampler. They seem to have that sale every other week. Sometimes $10 more with better cigars.

The cutter works great and I believe it's the same steel in all their cutters so the lower priced model cuts the same as the higher priced models. Don't forget the Xikars all have a lifetime warranty. I've already used it when I dropped mine on a marble floor and it came apart. I sent it back and they just replaced it with a new one. Great company!!! Great service!!! Oh and it also comes with a free leather case when you register on the xikar website. You can beat it for $30!

c10bonanza

Officially Clueless
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the Olor Fuerte cigars sampler? How are those to smoke? I am a greenhorn when it comes to brands of cigars. Kinda like not knowing the difference between a Chevy and a Ford. (bad example, but thats all I got!)

I'll have to keep an eye out for this one...maybe in a few weeks!

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
No it came with 4 Don Tomas cigars. It was a decent mild cigar but not the reason I bought the cutter. The cigars are basically free at the $30 price.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
c10bonanza said:
jc...Did you end up ordering the Xi2 here? If so, how do you like this model. I don't know enough about the Xi to warrant the price difference. The Xi2 looks nice though!
All the blades on the cutters are the same. The Xi2 is plastic. The Xi is metal. The Xi3 is a wood/composite of some sort.

I have the Xi which has a nice solid feel to it.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I can't decide what to get. I don't wan to spend like $60 but I want a good cutter. Maybe somebody has one they want to sell or I will just keep using my cheapies. I like the palio cutter a lot too.... Oh the choices.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
The palio is very nice. I like the ergonomics of it. Famous currently has them.

I would say the Xikar Xi is very nice. It's got a good feel to it and cuts great. I am very happy with mine.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I purchased an XI a few years ago and love it. It is still very sharp and cuts great, but takes a little getting used to. I think I paid around $32 on a group by that was ran on the old JR forum. I've heard nothing but great things about thier customer service as well. Top notch company with top notch products IMO.

The only problem I have with mine and feel free to chime in with advice. Is that after I clean it and lube it with Veg oil (ha ha), it gets gunked up and needs to be cleaned about every other week.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
You can send it back for a brand new one. They say they will fix/sharpen it but you get a new one.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I got an Xi2 from cbid for $21. It cuts well, the plastic is kinda cheaper than what I expected. The palio has a much nicer plastic, and the cut was cleaner. This seems to leave a crescent shape on the end of the cigar from where the blades meet. A lot nicer than my cheap cutter either way though!

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Hey Josh I had the same issue with mine after the first bunch of cuts I made. I called customer service and they said when using the Xikar's to make the cutting action very swiftly. Don't do it slowly. Position the cigar and snap it closed quickly. Try it you should see a difference.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
jcgoldner said:
Hey Josh I had the same issue with mine after the first bunch of cuts I made. I called customer service and they said when using the Xikar's to make the cutting action very swiftly. Don't do it slowly. Position the cigar and snap it closed quickly. Try it you should see a difference.
Yeah, I think I have to break it in a little. The motion isn't so smooth. One blade seems to move better than the other, but I think if I just keep using it then it will get bettter. I might pick up the palio at some point to have them both. Always handy to have another cutter within reach.