What's new

Xikar Executive Lighter

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Anyone have any experience with it? It has a side trigger, similar to the Porsche Design lighter a few threads ago. That way you don't burn the fingers next to the flame.

Any thoughts appreciated.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think there are some other threads on this. I have one. The consensus is that it is an excellent lighter with a disappointingly small fuel supply. Tiger makes one that is either a knock-off or the same lighter (there is urban legend that Tiger actually makes that model Xikar). I have two of them, and they are just as good as the Xikar. However, they cost under $10. Take a look at the e-tailers for discount lighters and ebay, if you're interested.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I believe that they are the same lighter as the Tiger but the benefit to the Xikar lighter is that it comes with the Xikar lifetime warranty. How many $20 lighters come with that?!

I have been using one for several months with no issues (provided you use a quality butane like Vector Quintuplus). :thumbsup:

Hope this helps
~Mark

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I have one and it has worked great for me, except for one problem.

It gets clogged often (maybe with tiny pieces of lint?) I think because it's in my pocket at all times. This is easily fixed by using compessed air sprayed directly into the ingnition valve. After that , works like a charm.

I've been using this lighter at least 3-5 times daily for the past 4-5 months, and it's scuffed up, but still going strong!

Edit: And I exclusively use Vector fuel!

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe that they are the same lighter as the Tiger but the benefit to the Xikar lighter is that it comes with the Xikar lifetime warranty. How many $20 lighters come with that?!

I have been using one for several months with no issues (provided you use a quality butane like Vector Quintuplus). :thumbsup:

Hope this helps
~Mark
Good points on both issues, Mark! :waving:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I appreciate the insight.

Still trying to find a great lighter at a great price. I'm not totally sold on the Xikar. The lifetime warranty is a great selling point though, Mark.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have one and it has worked great for me, except for one problem.

It gets clogged often (maybe with tiny pieces of lint?) I think because it's in my pocket at all times. This is easily fixed by using compessed air sprayed directly into the ingnition valve. After that , works like a charm.

I've been using this lighter at least 3-5 times daily for the past 4-5 months, and it's scuffed up, but still going strong!

Edit: And I exclusively use Vector fuel!
Thanks Greg!

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
... Still trying to find a great lighter at a great price...
Aren't we all? :bouncetau A lot of it will depend on subjective factors, including what constitutes a "great" lighter to you and what you consider a great price. There really is no free lunch, and only you can decide the relative importance of each of the factors. To some people, getting a Dupont X-tend at Mark's discount price fits the bill. For others, it's getting the Ronson that Wal-mart and Cigarsolutions.com sell for something like 4 bucks. All depends...

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Aren't we all? :bouncetau A lot of it will depend on subjective factors, including what constitutes a "great" lighter to you and what you consider a great price. There really is no free lunch, and only you can decide the relative importance of each of the factors. To some people, getting a Dupont X-tend at Mark's discount price fits the bill. For others, it's getting the Ronson that Wal-mart and Cigarsolutions.com sell for something like 4 bucks. All depends...
Well I've always been the type to have cheap tools of the trade, more of a no-nonsense approach. But I would like to upgrade to some of the finer accessories available in the hobby. I have actually used a Ronson I found at Wal-Mart and it was very, very reliable.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I bought the DuPont Xtend from Mark group buy as my first torch. Then wanted an everyday lighter, so bought a Xikar Executive a few months later and a Solo Silo also from mark. Virtually the same lighter as the Xikar for about $20 each. The Xikar works better than the Solo, mostly cause the damn Solo flames out on me if I try lighting a cigar with is and will not re-light. The DuPont works flawlessly all the time and can light sticks all day long, never failed me once. If I had to do again, I would only own the DuPont and no other lighter would be needed. I did however use the faux leather pouch from the cheaper lighters for the Xtend to protect it, works like a charm.