What's new

YAHHT (Yet Another Humidity Help Thread)

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
So having looked a little more closely at the Accumonitor I don't understand how I would be in a different situation. My issue with the Oasis II XL is that, when using the foam and water, I get too much humidity even when the device isn't running. Since the Accumonitor canisters are open wouldn't I run into the same issue?
It's possible, but tell me more about your foam? How much surface area is exposed to the air all the time?

On my accumonitor, the tanks are 3 5/8" diameter so roughly 10.3 sq inches. If you've only got a 3 5/8" square of foam exposed you'd have 13.1 sq inches of exposure...I'm guessing you have more than that. Granted I have two tanks, so I have roughly 21 sq inches of exposure, but I also have an end table humidor w/ 800 sticks in it.

As mentioned, my unit holds humidity perfectly for me and we're in the same geographical region.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
your problem likely lies with your temperature. humidity (or relative humidity) directly correlates to the temperature, cooler temps equal lower rh readings. not necessarily less moisture in the air just lower readings. If your cigars are buning and tasting right, don't worry so much about it.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Get a pound of HF beads and just keep using your oasis. Turn off the oasis II at spring time and don't spray the beads. Should solve it. Also divide the hF beads into two 8oz bags.
And RH does not lower when temp drops. This is the second thread in a week to post this and it is wrong. Call it a cigar forum wives tail if you will. Dry humis in your house are caused from your hvac system running so much.....
Edit:
And to the OP towers of power are known to leak. Thus why you have too much RH in spring and summer. More beads will help. Just keep the oasis off(take out the media and water from the oasis) and let the beads soak up extra RH....

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Lot's of great info here everyone I appreciate it! As a first try, and based off another post I found, here I think, I went with this approach. I ditched the kitty litter and filled the Oasis with Water Gems. So far this raised my humidity right around where I like it.

Get a pound of HF beads and just keep using your oasis. Turn off the oasis II at spring time and don't spray the beads. Should solve it. Also divide the hF beads into two 8oz bags.
And RH does not lower when temp drops. This is the second thread in a week to post this and it is wrong. Call it a cigar forum wives tail if you will. Dry humis in your house are caused from your hvac system running so much.....
Edit:
And to the OP towers of power are known to leak. Thus why you have too much RH in spring and summer. More beads will help. Just keep the oasis off(take out the media and water from the oasis) and let the beads soak up extra RH....
Few follow up questions for your…

1. You're saying to add 1 pound to the ToP - how many pounds total do you think is adequate?
2. Thanks for clarifying the 'wives tail' - that makes sense
3. Any advice on making the ToP less leaky? Just more/better weather stripping around the door or do they leak at joints?