What's new

Yeah, so it happened...

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I joined here a few months ago, just a day or so before I was all set to buy a 40-count humidor from some place like SuperCheapAssQualityHumidorsThatProbablyWontWork.com. Read a bunch of stuff (thanks, brothers!) about probably outgrowing that humidor quickly, why not to buy cheap humidors online, etc.

So I built the tupperdor using a 5-gallon tub. That should last me, right?

Umm, not so much, no. It's about 2/3 full already and climbing slowly but steadily.

At my current CtP (consumption to purchase) ratio, I should have that thing filled in about another month or two. So, coolidor, here I come!

I've read the Coolidor Primer and just have a couple of questions:
  • Would I be better served with a single 150-quart cooler or two 75(ish) quart coolers? Specifically, I am curious about whether it would be easier to maintain the RH in one large space or two smaller spaces? I know that, in terms of amount of storage, this is something only I can answer.
  • Would a larger coolidor necessitate a humidifying device (something like from Cigar Oasis) or would beads/KL suffice?
  • With a larger coolidor, should I add in a fan to ensure air movement? (yes, I know that will likely increase the frequency of recharging the beads.
  • Are there any brands that the brothers have generally had great experiences with? Are there any brands I should stay away from?

Any thoughts or am I over-thinking things, per usual?

Seriously, the level of help I get from you guys is amazing!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
1. 150 size is good buy I would go with 2 smaller ones. one for long term storage and one for you to go and grab sticks from. Also easier to store in a closet
2. Igloo is usually the preferred brand. The marine type is probably of a little higher quality.
3. A fan would be a good idea. i think you may be able to still get the oust fan on amazon or fleabay.
5. I would go with the exquisicat KL or Litter Pearls KL and some aquarium pouches. The Heartfelt and HDM are both great products but MUCH more expensive and you would need a lot.
6. Keep your 40 count for a nice conversation moochador.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I joined here a few months ago...
So I built the tupperdor using a 5-gallon tub. That should last me, right?...

Umm, not so much, no. It's about 2/3 full already and climbing slowly but steadily.

At my current CtP (consumption to purchase) ratio, I should have that thing filled in about another month or two.
Two words: Slow Down. You've only been at this for a few months. MY personal advice would be to slow down on purchases, and increase consumption. Your palate needs time to adjust and develop before you start stockpiling, or you're likely to end up with a crapton of cigars you don't even like anymore. Those cbid and Monster deals will always be there, take some time to develop and grow your palate before you build the stash anymore.

Would I be better served with a single 150-quart cooler or two 75(ish) quart coolers? Specifically, I am curious about whether it would be easier to maintain the RH in one large space or two smaller spaces? I know that, in terms of amount of storage, this is something only I can answer.
Personally, I'd say it all depends on your situation, and how full it will be when you get it. Either should be relatively easy to maintain rH in as long as you have a good rH medium (Boveda, beads, KL, whatever) and it's relatively full. If it were me, I'd go with two smaller ones just because two smaller units would be easier for me to store, and you can maintain fill one at a time, making it easier in the beginning to regulate.

[*]Would a larger coolidor necessitate a humidifying device (something like from Cigar Oasis) or would beads/KL suffice?
No cigar oasis necessary. Most guys with big coolers run KL, beads, or Bovedas. KL has always worked fine for me.

[*]With a larger coolidor, should I add in a fan to ensure air movement? (yes, I know that will likely increase the frequency of recharging the beads.
Yes. And it shouldn't increase the frequency of recharging the beads, since you're just circulating the rH throughout the cooler.

[*]Are there any brands that the brothers have generally had great experiences with? Are there any brands I should stay away from?
Coleman Xtremes are popular because they have a great seal, great insulation, and are real cheap. $50 at walmart.com.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
1. 150 size is good buy I would go with 2 smaller ones. one for long term storage and one for you to go and grab sticks from. Also easier to store in a closet
2. Igloo is usually the preferred brand. The marine type is probably of a little higher quality.
3. A fan would be a good idea. i think you may be able to still get the oust fan on amazon or fleabay.
5. I would go with the exquisicat KL or Litter Pearls KL and some aquarium pouches. The Heartfelt and HDM are both great products but MUCH more expensive and you would need a lot.
6. Keep your 40 count for a nice conversation moochador.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know
Thanks Anthony! I am thinking about two smaller coolers and, in fact, just one for now. I still have the tupperdor so I don't need to replace it so much as add more storage space. I never actually pulled the trigger and bought the cheap 40 count (y'all saved me wasting money on that!) but I do have a good sealing glass jar that can hold some of the cheaper sticks when I am having friends over.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Two words: Slow Down. You've only been at this for a few months. MY personal advice would be to slow down on purchases, and increase consumption. Your palate needs time to adjust and develop before you start stockpiling, or you're likely to end up with a crapton of cigars you don't even like anymore. Those cbid and Monster deals will always be there, take some time to develop and grow your palate before you build the stash anymore.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. And, my budget will help slow down the purchasig, too. <grin> Here in Chicago, it's just too damned cold to smoke outside and, with two young kids with an 8:00 PM bedtime, I can't get away to a lounge too often in the Winter. So, I am planning on increasing the purchasing during the cold season when I can't smoke that often and then smoking more in the evenings outside when it gets nicer out in a couple of months.

I've been fortunate in that everything I've bought so far I have liked. True, some a lot more than others and I typically stick to 5 packs, singles, and the occasional bomb to have a decent variety. But I can see where, even just after this upcoming outdoor season, I will have a better sense of what I like and don't.

So, please don't think this warning/advice is falling on deaf ears. It's just so easy to get caught up in it, ya know?

...lots of great information...
Thanks again. I'm thrilled to know I can stick with the KL and don't have to invest in an active humidifier like CO - especially if I keep two smaller coolers.

You guys are the best

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Um... not sure. Did you have Forrest build you one of his 28qt tray sest? Or do you mean the stock trays from cheaphumidors dot com?

Anything that fits in a 28qt will fit in a 150qt, it just may look tiny in there :D

Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
Um... not sure. Did you have Forrest build you one of his 28qt tray sest? Or do you mean the stock trays from cheaphumidors dot com?

Anything that fits in a 28qt will fit in a 150qt, it just may look tiny in there :D
I have an xtreme 28qt, and I didn't want to order from forrest if they only fit in regular 28qt. I guess maybe I should just ask him haha.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...

I have an xtreme 28qt, and I didn't want to order from forrest if they only fit in regular 28qt. I guess maybe I should just ask him haha.
That, and he'll customize to fit for you even if they are different.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0

The Xtreme is different shape than the regular, from what I can tell. Also, if you already had it (IE if you've used it for anything other than cigars) I'd probably recommend just buying a new, clean one.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went stack with my trays in the coolidor sitting normal. It let me spread the KL on the bottom and the trays sit on cedar strips. With the lid on top all my conditioned air does not roll out when I open the lid.