What's new

Year of ISOMs

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure if this is improper but if it is, please let me know. I purchased 2 boxes from a BOTL sponsor. I am now looking to make a second purchase and it seems like there is a lot of discussion regarding aging of cigars, e.g. some years are better than others & some cigars need to be aged.

How do I know the year of what I am buying? Before I buy, do I just email the vendor, I am thinking of buying X and Y, what is the year of what you have in stock?

I am just entering this new world of cigars so if I am crossing any lines by asking this, please let me know.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I'm not sure if this is improper but if it is, please let me know. I purchased 2 boxes from a BOTL sponsor. I am now looking to make a second purchase and it seems like there is a lot of discussion regarding aging of cigars, e.g. some years are better than others & some cigars need to be aged.

How do I know the year of what I am buying? Before I buy, do I just email the vendor, I am thinking of buying X and Y, what is the year of what you have in stock?

I am just entering this new world of cigars so if I am crossing any lines by asking this, please let me know.

I wasn't sure about this from your post, but are you asking how to read the boxcodes? If so, this is a very good link to read and understand boxcodes.

http://www.cigarweekly.com/community/resources/cuban_box_codes.asp

If you are asking how to know what code the vendor has, then you would obviously need to contact the vendor if the boxcode is not listed on their site. Some vendors do that and others do not.

You have asked a question of a lot of debate regarding boxcodes, which will age better etc. The short answer is, the best thing to do is to develop a relationship with a vendor. If a vendor knows what you like and what you are looking for, a GOOD vendor will be able to make suggestions as to what is "smoking well" for you. What smokes good for you may not be good for me as we have different tastes. Since you are, as you say, just starting out, I wouldn't worry about boxcodes except for the knowing what year and month they are made. IMO, you should concentrate on just gathering as much information as you can and developing a sense of flavor profiles you like and don't like. As you try more and more different cigars, you will develop your personal preferences.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Usually boxcodes stamped on the bottom of the box give you an indication of the year and factory however, newer boxcodes won't be able to tell you the same information. You should do some research on cuban cigars and the such if you're new to cigars.

Feel free to peruse the following:
http://www.cigarnexus.com/
http://www.cigarweekly.com/community/resources/cuban_box_codes.asp

And btw, your "toast!" (you'll learn what that means soon enough)
Welcome to the darkside :eyebrow:

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
It's not the age of the cigar that matters ... it's the quality. :razz:

Seriously though, in most cases, it's better to get the oldest stock possible. Cigars tend to get better with age as the flavors from the different leaves mingle together and the taste becomes more cohesive and smooth. In this way, cigars are a lot like wine.

As you are just starting out, you might consider doing box splits for awhile. That way you will get maximum exposure to many different brands and ages without tying up a lot of money in full boxes you might not like so much. Some vendors sell 5 packs and samplers, so this is also a good way to go to help find the vitolas you like.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
A good vendor will always cater to the customer. So asking for boxcodes is not out of line.