What's new

Yerba mate anyone?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I actually think i've read that its not actually a caffeine but another naturally occuring chemical which has similar chemical makeup to caffeine. Supposedly it doesn't have some of the downsides that caffeine has. I haven't had a chance to try any yet. I have seen sites selling the tea and those gourd bombillas you drink it out of.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
joshua said:
I actually think i've read that its not actually a caffeine but another naturally occuring chemical which has similar chemical makeup to caffeine. Supposedly it doesn't have some of the downsides that caffeine has. I haven't had a chance to try any yet. I have seen sites selling the tea and those gourd bombillas you drink it out of.
Yes, the xanthine in in yerba mate most closely resembles caffeine in its molecular structure. Unlike coffee and tea yerba mate does not make me nervous, have diarrhea, jittery, or paranoid. With yerba mate I only become energized and have become used to the diuretic properties. I have a mate and a bombilla (gourd and metal straw) to drink it with. I also use a French press coffee maker for guests to try it.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
MithShrike said:
Yes, the xanthine in in yerba mate most closely resembles caffeine in its molecular structure. Unlike coffee and tea yerba mate does not make me nervous, have diarrhea, jittery, or paranoid. With yerba mate I only become energized and have become used to the diuretic properties. I have a mate and a bombilla (gourd and metal straw) to drink it with. I also use a French press coffee maker for guests to try it.
Excellent info. Thanks for sharing!

Don't mind those goobers cracking jokes...they are usually pretty harmless.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DWavs said:
Excellent info. Thanks for sharing!

Don't mind those goobers cracking jokes...they are usually pretty harmless.
Yeah I have no problem with goobers making jokes. My main forum home is http://www.tittiefeelienipplenot.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1 and the fellows there are far worse but we all have tons of fun.

Anyway, if you are starting out drinking yerba mate I recommend getting some loose leaf peppermint tea and honey at first as it masks a lot of the distinct flavor which can take some time to get used to.

Also, a lot of people just starting with yerba mate are unaware of how to prepare it. A gourd and metal straw aren't for everyone. The easiest way is through the drip coffee maker but don't expect to ever drink coffee from that machine again.

Personally I think the best way for a beginner is via a French press. Before starting to prepare the yerba take a damp paper towel over the top of the carafe and shake the yerba until a nice tan dust circle develops on the paper towel (This step greatly reduces the unique flavor of yerba mate yet it also reduces the effectiveness of the drink as you become used to it this step becomes unnecessary). Throw away the towel. Pour some cool/lukewarm water into the carafe with the yerba and stir. Use just a little bit of water so that the yerba creates a very thick paste about the consistency of turkey stuffing. Heat water just before it gets to a roiling boil and pour into the carafe. Let sit for 3-5 minutes and then press. (If you are using peppermint and honey with the yerba please put it in with the yerba before pouring the hot water in.)

The mate and bombilla are a little bit more complicated and involves curing and cleaning the bombilla. I don't recommend this until you want a more authentic experience.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
jasontp said:
really interesting stuff. . . I wonder if we set something up at the coffee shop if anyone would get into it. . .
Guess you wouldn't know unless you try?