What's new

Yesterday's Special (me appologies) 1/9/'09

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
A'right, first I'd like to appologise for missing this yesterday. Anyways, as promised, here's a quick focaccia recipe for the adventurous:

INGREDIENTS

* Focaccia Dough:
* 1 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees)
* 1 teaspoon white sugar
* 1 (.25 ounce) envelope rapid rise yeast
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/4 cup minced fresh rosemary
* 2 3/4 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup pitted black olives

* Topping:
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 large roma (plum) tomatoes, sliced
* 2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
* Salt and pepper
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

DIRECTIONS

1. Stir together the flour, sugar, and yeast. Stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 cup rosemary, and salt, to follow stiring in the water (There's a tip here, for ye never know the flour's RH (yeah, like a cigar). Add the wateras ye see fit. Ye'll need (always) a dought that's not hard, but has the best consistency there is for it. Just touch it after much working the flour And the regular slapping to the table and "feel" it. Is it good? then continue. Too hard? More water.Too soft? Work it and pray.) until a dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Gently knead in the black olives during the last few minutes of kneading. Place into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes (the best explanation for how it should feel like was given to me by a baker who told me, if it feels like the breast of an 18 year old, it still needs time. If it feels like the breast of a 30 yearold, it's on it's prime. If it feels likethe breast of a 60 year old, ye've let it rise a tad too much; restart)
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet and then coat it with flour.
3. Press dough into prepared baking sheet (without deflatingtoo much or the whole point will be lost. Brush dough with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss sliced tomatoes, and garlic with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with 2 tablespoons minced rosemary, salt, and pepper. Arrange the tomato slices over the dough in an even layer. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
4. Bake in preheated oven until puffed and golden brown; 15 to 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve immediately.

It should give ye something like this:

Now, don't be shy and add whatever ye wish to to the focaccia! Sardines, anchovies, cheese,...whatever!

And once again, sorry for the delay, it shan't happen again.