What's new

Yet another Hygrometer Question

seanb

Smoke Um If You Got Um
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a half lb of 65% beads, round digital hygrometer, and a Boveda calibration kit. I calibrated the new hygrometer using the Boveda kit (I also put my old digital hygrometer in the bag). My old hygrometer is digital, but it reads 16% low, thus I wanted something new that would allow me to adjust it.

My old hygrometer is reading 49% (which is 65% when you add the 16%), however the new hygrometer is reading 74%. I am concerned that the new hygrometer is not working correctly. :hanghead:

It had only been a few days, so I gave it some time, but it hasn’t moved much. I put the new hygrometer in a Tupperware container with 65% heartfelt beads for 24 hours and it still reads 73%. :dunno:

Is there another way to test the hygrometer?

Am I missing something, or doing something wrong?

My old hygrometer has stayed around 49 to 50% in my humidor, which leads me to believe the beads are doing there job. They are GREAT ! Thanks to the forum for that advice. :cbig:

Sean

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The Boveda Kit, I leave my Hygrometer in it for 2 days although the instructions say I believe a day. Anyway the kit is set for 75 rh that is what your Hygrometeter should read. So in your case your meter read 74 then you should turn your adjustment knob one click clock wise then push the set point button. Some times when you push the set point button your meter will read in C instead of F, theres a button to reset that also.

You should have gotten a set of instructions with the kit.

seanb

Smoke Um If You Got Um
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Boveda Kit, I leave my Hygrometer in it for 2 days although the instructions say I believe a day. Anyway the kit is set for 75 rh that is what your Hygrometeter should read. So in your case your meter read 74 then you should turn your adjustment knob one click clock wise then push the set point button. Some times when you push the set point button your meter will read in C instead of F, theres a button to reset that also.

You should have gotten a set of instructions with the kit.
Thanks for the reply. I calibrated the new hygrometer with the boveda kit using the directions. It was calibrated to read 75%. It only needed one click down. The problem is that after calibration the hygrometer is not reading 65% even though I believe the rh is actually 65%.

Sean

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I calibrated the new hygrometer with the boveda kit using the directions. It was calibrated to read 75%. It only needed one click down. The problem is that after calibration the hygrometer is not reading 65% even though I believe the rh is actually 65%.

Sean
Sorry for mis reading your first post. Sounds like you done it right. Being that you hit the set button after the test and adjustment. How wet are the beads and how much beads do you have (in realation to the size of your humi and or tupperwear)?

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Your humi won't immediately reach 65% on the basis you added 65% beads. Leave it be and watch it settle over the next few weeks. It took me about a month for my humidor to stabilize to 65% after making the change.

seanb

Smoke Um If You Got Um
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for mis reading your first post. Sounds like you done it right. Being that you hit the set button after the test and adjustment. How wet are the beads and how much beads do you have (in realation to the size of your humi and or tupperwear)?
I bought a half pound bag, and I am using all but about 2 oz in the humidor holds 90 cigars and is about 520 cu. inches. The other 2 oz is in the tupperware container.

My old hygrometer indicates that the humidor is around 65%, but I am not sure how much to trust it since it is reading so much off. I would say about half the beads are "clear" hydrated. I believe the humidor was overly humid, so I left more beads un-hydrated than I was supposed to.

My new hygrometer is in the tupperware container and reading 73% now. I did not hydrate the beads at all in this container. I did not hydrate the beads at all, since I wanted the new hygrometer to read the loser 65% if possible.

Sean

seanb

Smoke Um If You Got Um
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your humi won't immediately reach 65% on the basis you added 65% beads. Leave it be and watch it settle over the next few weeks. It took me about a month for my humidor to stabilize to 65% after making the change.
I am going to wait it out, but my new hygrometer doesn't seem to be changing much at all.

My old hygrometer indicates that the humidor is already around 65%, but I am not sure how much to trust it since it is reading so much off. The humidor was overly humid, so I left more beads un-hydrated than I was supposed to.

Sean

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
the beads will take time to equalize. Also remeber the more surface area exposed the quicker they will work. Be sure that the tupperware container is the better quality kind, if you got it at the dollar store the seal isn't going to be the best.
i use this for my temp storage
lock-and-lock-air-tight-food-container.jpg

seanb

Smoke Um If You Got Um
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the beads will take time to equalize. Also remeber the more surface area exposed the quicker they will work. Be sure that the tupperware container is the better quality kind, if you got it at the dollar store the seal isn't going to be the best.
View attachment 8518
I will look for one of those tupperware containers.

I put the hygrometer in the boveda calibration bag again. I am going to give it 48 hours and adjust it again. Hopefully this time it is more accurate.

I also think my old hygrometer is so bad that I can't trust it.

I need to have more patience.

Thank you GP

Last edited:

seanb

Smoke Um If You Got Um
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 8518
Thanks GP,

I found one and it will work much better than what I was using.

My hygrometer may be all right after all. Just going to give it more time to settle in. We will see.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Rubber Maid is a good item for tupperadors. I have 3 of them for overflows and they work perfectly. I line the bottom of the tupperador with cedar sheets and then put a 1/3 pound of beads and seal all 4 corners and then burp one side and leave it slightly open. The damn thing works just as good as my $500 humidors.