What's new

Yet another motorcycle thread

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For the last three years I've been riding an '02 Triumph Sprint RS. Fabulous bike which really enamored me of Triumph, but not the best for riding with a passenger. After putting 9000 miles on it, I sold it for $600 more than I bought it. I done good. Kid flew out from Ohio and rode 14 hours straight home. I'll miss her.

So I'd been semi-seriously looking at bigger sport-touring bikes for awhile and had even entertained the idea of buying a new Honda ST1300, Yamaha FJR, or maybe even the new Kawasaki Concours 14 (woah!). But a) I'm cheap and b) I'm a Triumph guy now. The problem is that, for unknown reasons, Triumph discontinued their ST bike on 2002. So I started looking around and found a '96 Triumph Trophy 1200 at a BMW motorcycle dealer for an insane price. It was in NM so I had it shipped to me.

Ain't she a beauty? A bit older and not as quick off the line as the RS, but much better for bringing the missus along. I've already planned a fall foliage trip to VT in October. (Everyone should visit VT in October.) Included but not pictured is a huge Givi top case that, along with the side cases, will hold all our luggage and then some. I'm also hoping to squeeze in a solo trip somewhere in the northeast before winter, maybe down to Metro Cigar in NJ.

Finally, here's my wife's bike. An '86 Honda Shadow VT500 in mint condition. She's still working on riding it with confidence and, yes, she did take the MSF class last summer.

Okay, your turn...

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I just got a new bike in the beginning of July myself. After 5 years of riding this '02 Honda Shadow 600, I decided I really didn't enjoy the cruiser style as much as I originally thought. The seat height was nice, but the riding position was a little too stretched out for me.

I went back to the more sporty side of things with a used Kawasaki ZR-7 (750cc). I enjoy riding a lot more now, and have already got my eye out for the next bike, I'm thinking either a Kawi Z1000 or Triumph Street Triple.

Here's the old bike on the left, and my new (to me) 2000 Kawi ZR7 on the right:

Attachments

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nice Kawi. I'm biased, but go for the Triumph. It's got gobs of personality, you won't see another one on every ride, and once you've heard the song of the triple, you'll never look back.

Dub

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the Triumph! Shop that I lead rides for has been trying to get me to ride their loaded out Tiger but i just stick with my old cruiser. At 6-2, 240, there just did not seem to be enough room on a Triumph for an old fat boy ;)

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Just got a Suzuki GS550L from 1982. In the shop right now, but I'll put up pics when I finish it!
Speaking of Triumphs, really like the Speed Triple! Wouldn't be a bad present when I get out of college!

TYLER

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sweet! Love UJMs. Dirt cheap, easy to work on, and parts everywhere. My first bike was a '82 Kawasaki KZ750. Now if I could just find a mint '79 Honda CBX is somebody's barn...

Broadway Joe

Formerly Havana Joe
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I envy you guys!!! I love bikes, I've been riding dirtbikes since I was a youngin and now I occaisonally take a friends bike out for a quick ride, but right now I just don't have the dough to buy one of my own :(

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Great bikes guys! I hope to be able to post a bike here soon. I'm still keeping an eye on the classifieds for one.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sweet! Love UJMs. Dirt cheap, easy to work on, and parts everywhere. My first bike was a '82 Kawasaki KZ750. Now if I could just find a mint '79 Honda CBX is somebody's barn...
Can't agree more about UJMs being great, cheap, reliable bikes. By the way, the engine in my ZR-7 is basically the same as what was in your KZ750. Hasn't really changed dramatically since '76 when it was originally a 650cc (bigger bore/stroke and newer carbs).