What's new

Yet another question for you golf experts out there

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I'm looking at getting my first legit set of irons. Much like Alex's thread, I plan on getting used. I figure, going used means I'll get more club for my money.

I'll be heading down to the nearest pro shop to test some clubs out, but based on reviews and my price range, I've narrowed my search down a bit to:
Ping i20s
Bridgestone J40 DPC
Ping g25
And the Titleist 710 AP2

Now to my questions. Do any of you have experience with any of these irons? If so, do you like them, hate them? I'd rate myself as beginner/intermediate. Would any of those be too advanced for my skill level?

That being said, I'd be open for other suggestions. My upper limit is probably $600 or so (for used).

Thanks in advanced for the advice!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
It sounds like you've done some research, but are you set on those clubs? If you haven't looked into them, I would definitely recommend looking into TaylorMade and maybe Callaway as well. They make some really good forgiving clubs for the golfer that won't hit a perfect shot all the time.

This is an interesting site I just found showing models in the different ranges along with a video discussing:
http://www.golf.com/equipment/golf-magazine-clubtest-2013-irons-best-golf-irons-reviews-equipment

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
It sounds like you've done some research, but are you set on those clubs? If you haven't looked into them, I would definitely recommend looking into TaylorMade and maybe Callaway as well. They make some really good forgiving clubs for the golfer that won't hit a perfect shot all the time.

This is an interesting site I just found showing models in the different ranges along with a video discussing:
http://www.golf.com/equipment/golf-magazine-clubtest-2013-irons-best-golf-irons-reviews-equipment
Awesome, I'll check that out. I had nothing against TaylorMade or Callaway, I just haven't read much up on them. More research is rarely a bad thing!

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0

Awesome, I'll check that out. I had nothing against TaylorMade or Callaway, I just haven't read much up on them. More research is rarely a bad thing!
It is when there are so so many options out there. I was in a similar dilemma last year and ended up with mizuno hp m4s.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Btw. I'm clearly not a golf expert so take my opinion with a grain of salt. A great deal depends on how you like the looks of the club and how you swing them

Rating - 100%
112   0   0

It is when there are so so many options out there. I was in a similar dilemma last year and ended up with mizuno hp m4s.
This is oh so true. I just purchased a new car and spent about 4 months going mental reading reviews back and forth between my two choices. At some point, you just gotta pull the trigger. I hear great things about the M4s.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Let you know more next week when course opens. Couldn't resist buying them at the price I got them for.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I'm looking at getting my first legit set of irons. Much like Alex's thread, I plan on getting used. I figure, going used means I'll get more club for my money.

I'll be heading down to the nearest pro shop to test some clubs out, but based on reviews and my price range, I've narrowed my search down a bit to:
Ping i20s
Bridgestone J40 DPC
Ping g25
And the Titleist 710 AP2

Now to my questions. Do any of you have experience with any of these irons? If so, do you like them, hate them? I'd rate myself as beginner/intermediate. Would any of those be too advanced for my skill level?

That being said, I'd be open for other suggestions. My upper limit is probably $600 or so (for used).

Thanks in advanced for the advice!
It really depends on what your skill level is and what you want your clubs to do. Of your list, you have all 3 of the basic forms of irons: Blades, hallow backs, and cavity backs (Titleist 710, Ping g25, and Bridgestone J40, respectively).

They all perform differently.

If you don't have a consistent swing, a cavity back is nice. It is designed that you can strike anywhere on the face and have will fly straight. However, you lose a good bit of distance and the ability to really shape your shot.

Blades are if you have a very consistent swing. The sweet spot on blades are super small, but when you hit you, the ball will fly! However, if you're ~1/2" outside the sweetspot, it feels like you hit a wall. Also, if you have trouble getting the face of the club square upon impact, blades will make your slice, worse. Again, if you are an advanced golfer, you can shape your shots easier.

Cavity backs are a pseudo hybrid. The usually have more metal around the outside of the club, so there is forgiveness. Its a big thing now to put more weight at the bottom of the club, to generate a larger sweet spot. It also generates more backspin to help get the ball higher. This was a big turn off for me, as I really come down on the ball already, and I lost a ton of distance. These still have sidespin issues, though less than blades.

Another big thing that I hate is the amount of offset are on a lot of clubs today, especially the hollows. That is how much the club looks bent when you address your ball. I personally hate it, though if you can stand it and have trouble getting the ball up, its nice to have.

Just read your skill ratings, and I would suggest the Bridgestones. Also check out some Mizunos. I think the ones at my proshop are 1200+, but ebay is a good place to look. I would recommend a lightly used set of MP-64s or M4s to start with. Or even kicking it old school and getting a set of T-zoid pros. They are a hybrid blade/cavity back. Great set of clubs. My personal clubs, though I altered the shafts (rifled +2", spiderweb grips... cant wait to start golfing again XD).

Let me know if I confuzed you at all, or if you understand. Sometimes I rant and it makes sense in my head, but not to most other people.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Not confused at all! That all made perfect sense, and I greatly appreciate the detailed descriptions of each types! I all but wrote off the AP2s, based on what I've been reading, I'm not at a level yet to properly utilize them I think. The bridgestones have been neck and neck with the Ping g25s. They seem to be very forgiving as well. Next step, the pro shop to test out the top contenders!
Thanks a ton for taking time out of your day to help out!

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Ramza had great advice!!

Of my large group of friends that I golf with we have all the skills sets you could even imagine. For some reason our group seems to be pretty titleist loyal when it comes to irons. Of our group I know 4 people that have the AP2's (including myself). 2 of those golfers fall in the 5-10 rounds a year, myself being a 8-10 handicap depending on time of year and the other a sandbagging 4 handicap. I have never heard any of them complain. They are a very diverse iron that really doesn't fit in a blade or cavity back category. That being said, you don't get the full "shapability" of a blade or the forgiveness of a cavity back. It is the best iron that I have found in between the two. You hand won't rattle after a miss hit like blades and they are very workable.

Just my 2 cents
Hope that helped

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Love my mp H4s now that I've hit them on the course. Not as much distance as some but feel great and more accurate for me

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Depending on how much golf you are going to play most places will let you use the clubs to see how you like them and that's what I've done for the last 40 years. Sometimes according to your own level and expertise this is how to go.