What's new

You just never know when....

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
So I open my CFC desktop today, the one that contains all my HTF Fuente and various other singles that are HTF and I do not have many of....

And then it hits me like a ton of brick, a damn live beetle sitting on my sleeve of beads! SOB...

This desktop is in my basement and it never gets above 68 degrees...

So I start the search and find 2 LG SB#2 with beetle damage on the wrapper....

What a way to start the day.

I secluded the LG SB#2 sticks and am hoping for the best. I do not think that any other sticks were damaged and when I tore apart the two culprits I did not find any other larve or live beetles...

I know I should probably freeze the rest but I think I will wait and see if anything else crops up.....

Point is, check your sticks every so often. I have had those LG SB#2 in there for over a year and nothing appeared until now....

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Why are you going to wait on the freeze? I'd be doing that first thing.
A couple of reason:

1. No damage noted on the other sticks
2. No other beetles found in the affected sticks.

in order for a problem to exist, they would have to mate and lay eggs. To do so I would think they would have to bore into another stick and I found no evidence of that.

Not sure if it will affect the taste or not, all reference point to it not doing so...

Basically it is a big pain in the a$$ and I do not think there is an issue beyond the affect sticks. We will see. Playing Russian roulette in some respects.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Probably because it changes the taste permanently....:crosseyed
I highly disagree. I just had to freeze my whole stash (because of a beetle hole found in a PL Magnifico) and I can not taste any difference between them now and how they "were" prior to freezing. My 2 cents...

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I froze my stash once as well and while it was a pain in the ass, the sticks are all still good to go. However, I was not freezing the number or caliber sticks that Eric would be freezing. I can't say I would freeze my sticks now, if i found only 1 hole. You can check celloed cigars easily because there will be an obvious hole in the cello. uncelloed sticks the bettls can enter thru the foot, so signs are harder to see. Also cellod sticks will contain the droppings, like small black dust.

Eric, I would certainly put all those sticks in a tupperware and make sure the humidor is not contaminated.

Bsneed51

Lock and Load
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At an Outlaw event a few years ago Jorge Padron told us that they freeze every box of cigars prior to shipping them out. If freezing them changes every box to taste like Padrons, I need to buy a bigger freezer. :starrylov

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
How will you see a hole if they enter through the foot? I too have had the problem and went to deep freeze. No taste changes have occured as far as my palette notices.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
How will you see a hole if they enter through the foot? I too have had the problem and went to deep freeze. No taste changes have occured as far as my palette notices.
you won't. you could see the dust fall out if you tapped it on a white piece of paper, but the hole would not be noticable or very hard to see.