What's new

You think they'll get back with me?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Unspecified Bunker in El Paso - status: vagabond
I visited a large liquor, beer & wine retailer with a walk in humidor tonight while trying to avoid the overpriced B&M. Got a horrible cigar from them (I knew it wasn't going to be good but I really didn't want to pull my cigars out from my new wineador, they need to adjust) I wrote a letter to them, while smoking this abused stick. Think they'll get back with me? lol

The email:

Greetings,

I wanted to inform you of a recent cigar purchase I made from your Sunland Park location. I was in your store sometime around 8pm today, Friday May 15th. I initially entered to purchase several cigars to tide me over through the weekend. (I recently moved all my cigars to a new wine cooler humidor and I wanted to let them adjust before smoking any) The first thing that struck me was that the humidity seemed low and the temperature was very warm. This was confirmed when I glanced into the small case the higher end cigars reside in and saw the hygrometer inside. One would think that those cigars especially would be better maintained than all the rest, however, the hygrometer indicated that the relative humidity was only 58% and the temperature was (if I recall correctly) at least 76 degrees. Now I understand that there are many opinions to what a well maintained humidor should be maintained at but such high temperatures and low relative humidity is not good at all for cigars. I decided at this point to not purchase several but to just buy a single CAO MX2 Robusto. I chose this cigar because I've had one recently and I know what I should expect from one that has been well maintained. I'm very glad to say that I only spent $7, because if this one cigar is indicative of the condition of the remainder of your stock, I would not recommend anybody purchase cigars from that particular location until your store begins to put as much attention into its humidor as it does its liquor. This cigar not only demonstrated that it was very dry throughout. (let me tell you, knowing that CAO's exhibit more flavor at a low RH this was very dry) When I first rolled this cigar between my fingers I noticed the wrapper was loose and crinkly, this cigar burned very quickly and almost immediately the wrapper began to peel apart from the head to beyond a third of the length of the cigar. This particular cigar showed signs of significant fluctuation, I don't know its age but I can tell you with some certainty that this cigar has gone from being overhumidified to underhumidified several times already. Needless to say its taste was negatively affected.

What boggles my mind is that I have visited your store on North Mesa and have very recently purchased several cigars there. I've found that the gentleman that maintains the cigars is proud to let you know he's 'the cigar guy' and he certainly shows it. The gentleman has been helpful and knew his tastes well enough to make suggestions for me based on mine. He knew his product and more importantly, he knows how to care for them. I will certainly be going back to visit him in that location.

I will also mention this, and I don't intend to sound rude but my brother-in-law is a manager for a country club here in El Paso, he also happens to be the person that purchases cigars for that country club. He's not a cigar smoker so he's likely not able to identify well maintained cigars as obsessively as I am, but for the sake of the members of his country club I do plan on asking him tomorrow what location he makes his purchases. I hope he makes them from the Mesa location.

In my very honest opinion, if the remainder of your cigar stock from that store has been as badly maintained as this cigar was, I'd consider liquidating your stock, hiring someone that has a clue of how to maintain cigars and make a point to your clientele that a new cigar manager is in place. I may be the first, but I doubt I'm the only cigar enthusiast that has noticed the condition on your stock.

I should also mention, if you aren't aware, that your Sunland Park location is directly across the street from the 'Tobacco Tin' a fairly sized cigar retailer. I've heard many complaints about that store (I have my own as well) about its poor customer service and inflated prices. Your store stands to be a great supplier in El Paso, but at the moment I can only imagine that those ignorant of quality cigars would patronize your inventory and I would think that your business is very likely turning these people away from cigar smoking if their only experience is a badly maintained and horribly tasting cigar like the one I attempted to enjoy tonight.

Please, feel free to contact me if you'd like to speak to me regarding this experience or if you have any questions. Thank you for your time.

-man, I'm long winded
#blametheoxy

driver

Attitude + Effort = Results
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I visited a large liquor, beer & wine retailer with a walk in humidor tonight while trying to avoid the overpriced B&M. Got a horrible cigar from them (I knew it wasn't going to be good but I really didn't want to pull my cigars out from my new wineador, they need to adjust) I wrote a letter to them, while smoking this abused stick. Think they'll get back with me? lol

The email:

Greetings,

I wanted to inform you of a recent cigar purchase I made from your Sunland Park location. I was in your store sometime around 8pm today, Friday May 15th. I initially entered to purchase several cigars to tide me over through the weekend. (I recently moved all my cigars to a new wine cooler humidor and I wanted to let them adjust before smoking any) The first thing that struck me was that the humidity seemed low and the temperature was very warm. This was confirmed when I glanced into the small case the higher end cigars reside in and saw the hygrometer inside. One would think that those cigars especially would be better maintained than all the rest, however, the hygrometer indicated that the relative humidity was only 58% and the temperature was (if I recall correctly) at least 76 degrees. Now I understand that there are many opinions to what a well maintained humidor should be maintained at but such high temperatures and low relative humidity is not good at all for cigars. I decided at this point to not purchase several but to just buy a single CAO MX2 Robusto. I chose this cigar because I've had one recently and I know what I should expect from one that has been well maintained. I'm very glad to say that I only spent $7, because if this one cigar is indicative of the condition of the remainder of your stock, I would not recommend anybody purchase cigars from that particular location until your store begins to put as much attention into its humidor as it does its liquor. This cigar not only demonstrated that it was very dry throughout. (let me tell you, knowing that CAO's exhibit more flavor at a low RH this was very dry) When I first rolled this cigar between my fingers I noticed the wrapper was loose and crinkly, this cigar burned very quickly and almost immediately the wrapper began to peel apart from the head to beyond a third of the length of the cigar. This particular cigar showed signs of significant fluctuation, I don't know its age but I can tell you with some certainty that this cigar has gone from being overhumidified to underhumidified several times already. Needless to say its taste was negatively affected.

What boggles my mind is that I have visited your store on North Mesa and have very recently purchased several cigars there. I've found that the gentleman that maintains the cigars is proud to let you know he's 'the cigar guy' and he certainly shows it. The gentleman has been helpful and knew his tastes well enough to make suggestions for me based on mine. He knew his product and more importantly, he knows how to care for them. I will certainly be going back to visit him in that location.

I will also mention this, and I don't intend to sound rude but my brother-in-law is a manager for a country club here in El Paso, he also happens to be the person that purchases cigars for that country club. He's not a cigar smoker so he's likely not able to identify well maintained cigars as obsessively as I am, but for the sake of the members of his country club I do plan on asking him tomorrow what location he makes his purchases. I hope he makes them from the Mesa location.

In my very honest opinion, if the remainder of your cigar stock from that store has been as badly maintained as this cigar was, I'd consider liquidating your stock, hiring someone that has a clue of how to maintain cigars and make a point to your clientele that a new cigar manager is in place. I may be the first, but I doubt I'm the only cigar enthusiast that has noticed the condition on your stock.

I should also mention, if you aren't aware, that your Sunland Park location is directly across the street from the 'Tobacco Tin' a fairly sized cigar retailer. I've heard many complaints about that store (I have my own as well) about its poor customer service and inflated prices. Your store stands to be a great supplier in El Paso, but at the moment I can only imagine that those ignorant of quality cigars would patronize your inventory and I would think that your business is very likely turning these people away from cigar smoking if their only experience is a badly maintained and horribly tasting cigar like the one I attempted to enjoy tonight.

Please, feel free to contact me if you'd like to speak to me regarding this experience or if you have any questions. Thank you for your time.

-man, I'm long winded
#blametheoxy
They'll probably read about as much as I did first sentence and last:)

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Get back to you? You'll be lucky if they read it all the way through. (I didn't....)

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Get back to you? You'll be lucky if they read it all the way through. (I didn't....)
Yeah, yeah, I'm long winded, I can admit it. Turns out the district manager not only read it but contacted me this morning. After speaking to him, he's a real nice guy and apparently enjoys cigars also. I'll likely tell him about this place if he doesn't already know. Or if he's one of you guys trolling me, lol. He wants to replace the cigar, I'm not sure that's necessary but I wouldn't mind after paying $7 for a CAO MX2.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I read it but like it's been said, it's wordy.

I turned you off at "my brother in law buys cigars." If I owned the business, i would be glad to have this kind of feedback but that just sounded off.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Well, he did say that the manager for the store that's running good used to run the one I complained about. He told me the humidor in that store is usually in good shape but they made some changes yesterday adjusting for the hotter El Paso temps. He believes I just got a bad cigar. I didn't disagree. I'm not a human thermometer / hygrometer and the hygrometer in the case could easily have been badly calibrated. It was likely warmer than it should have been. Also, let's face it, it was a CAO, I could easily have just got a bad cigar.

Oh well, I'll be happy to chat with the guy if I see him in the store, maybe even enjoy a cigar sometime.

I will say this, they may be a liquor store that also carries cigars but this guy's customer service was so above and beyond expected. I wish even some of the B&M stores I've visited had half as much care as this gent did.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A good Cigar Store will manage to deal with customers who did not receive a good product as they either eat the item or turn it into their own claim with the Manufacturer....either way it sounds like they did the right thing by you.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Nice to actually see a reply. I'll agree with some others and say yes, it's a little lengthy with words. But if it got your complainant across to the right people I guess something worked for them. Hopefully it'll change and they can make proper adjustments to their walk-in's and get things back in order so hopefully their cigars (and profits from them) aren't ruined by not properly maintaining humidity.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
That wasn't that bad a read, I have come to the conclusion that most of you have short attention spans :pigeon: .Glad they contacted you back, it shows not only that they take interest in their goods but also their customers.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey maybe you scored a discount or even a part time job managing a humidor. In the end it sounds like you did the right thing. Gotta respect the leaf!