What's new

Your Appreciation Evolution

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
After reading Doc's thread about how we got started in cigars/pipes, I got to thinking about my evolution through the years in regard to my taste in sizes and strengths.

I started out with Swishers.., but once I found real cigars I tended to like the lonsdale size in an Upmann or similar brand. Started to get into the stronger sticks and gravitated into the Robusto and Corona sizes. Over the years I found myself purchasing the Toros and larger sizes and almost exclusively Maduros. Now I'm moving back toward the Coronas and smaller as well as out of the Maduro wrappers (this could have something to do with my trek into the darkside)

What about everyone else? How have your tastes progressed through time since you picked up this fine pastime?

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My favorite shape at first was a double corona. I'd get a really nice and mild one. I then progressed into trying different shapes. I have to say my favorite shape is a perfecto. My friend makes it about 54 ring guage and about 7 inches long. Great shape.

Like I said I started off mild, but I can now enjoy the stronger cigars as my nicotine tolerance has risen. Last Friday my friend rolled me a very strong cigar, it was 6 and a half inches by 65 ring guage, with somewhat spicy but very flavorful tobacco. Excellent strong cigar.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
i would have to say that when i started out, i liked smaller smokes, more mild ones, then after a few months i started to get into churchills, and more medium bodied smokes. after my first year, year an a half i was more into full-strength smokes, but the corona size cuz im not suiccidial. :pokemyeye at first i hated figurados, but now i leaning mroe towards them as opposed to pajeros. i still smoke both, but if i pick up a single from the shop, ill look for a belicoso first. for a little while i liked pressed cigars the best, but now it doesnt really matter to me. and when it comes to strength, i have cigars ranging pretty much the whole sprectrum (nothing really mild though). sometimes im in the mood for a lighter cigar, sometimes i just feel like a knockout one, there really isnt any method to my madness (that i can figure out at least :headroll: ) and usually there is 1 or 2 sticks that i just feel like smoking, so thats what i grab at the time

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
i forgot to add, that now im more into toros and robustos, as well as belicosos (it seems like my tastes/prefrences follow a sort of cycle) cuz i usually feel like having a bigger ring guage than a corona, but the length is in the right ballpark. i like having LOTS of smoke just billowing out, and i hate having to fight to get a good mouthfull of smoke. (NO cutting off the last part of that sentence to make a funny quote. i mean it!:nono: )

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I prefer it to be loaded with flavor over anything else. It can be mild or it can be strong, it doesn't really matter to me as long as it's not a dud! Oh and size wise I prefer a #2 or smaller.