What's new

your opinion matters!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I just started an online cigar company. I want to offer something that no other cigar store does, and that is to have everything cycle around the buyer, the consumer, the smoker, the enjoyer, you. Is there anything you'd love to see on a website that would secure your feelings of buying from my site? I'm open to any and ALL suggestions.

Thanks to everyone who contributes,
have a great day!

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Good information, even better prices, objective reviews, a newsletter, daily cigar deals (these are a must be), links to BOTL,...

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Good Luck !

Daily Deals to keep it interesting
Reviews are critical (cigar smokn chicks doing reviews are a plus!)
Hi-lite quality items-smokes, accessories, swag...
Links to BOTL, unique sites, research, information

Gummi Bear

Righteously Indignant
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The obvious points are to have good pricing, and great selection, but to me, #1 is superior customer service.

• Answer the phone immediately
  • Return emails in a timely manner
  • Keep calm when things go wrong (and at some point, they will), and make things right (*even if you lose a little money making it right, other customers will see this, and send more business your way)
  • Support your 'core' customers, throw out a freebie now and then to get them talking and generate some excitement. Use the forums as an avenue to do this.

I couldn't give a damn about the chicks, they're gimmicky. If I'm treated right, I'll go back to that shop again and again, and tell my friends.

Nothing is more powerful than word of mouth, and nothing is more valuable to you than your reputation. Protect both at all costs.

amgracing

///M POWERRR
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
carry pete johnsons stuff(along with other small but good brands) for a good price and i will order from you every week!!
along with good reviews,good info,and everyting else people said up there^^^^

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The obvious points are to have good pricing, and great selection, but to me, #1 is superior customer service.

• Answer the phone immediately
  • Return emails in a timely manner
  • Keep calm when things go wrong (and at some point, they will), and make things right (*even if you lose a little money making it right, other customers will see this, and send more business your way)
  • Support your 'core' customers, throw out a freebie now and then to get them talking and generate some excitement. Use the forums as an avenue to do this.

I couldn't give a damn about the chicks, they're gimmicky. If I'm treated right, I'll go back to that shop again and again, and tell my friends.

Nothing is more powerful than word of mouth, and nothing is more valuable to you than your reputation. Protect both at all costs.
Very intellegent post Bear. I couldn't agree more.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I have started a couple businesses, 2 of them online. Here's my free consult:

--The most important thing for any start-up is getting people in the door the first time.

--The BEST way to get people in the door in your situation is to have killer "1 Day Specials"

I mean killer, like you sell them for cost. Try as best you can to special the "favorite" cigars of those who buy online. People will start to say "holy crap this place is cheap!" The more you get them in, the more often they'll come back and spread the word on boards like this. You don't make anything on the specials themselves, but you build a customer base. Basically--the Netflix model.

Of course, customer service must also be top notch. Fast processing/shipping, great service, WELL PACKAGED cigars, etc. All these thing will keep people coming back once you do get them in the door.

Beyond that, an idea is to do what others here mentioned and offer rare and tough-to-find cigars. If you need to, you can choose to only sell in large quantities (like 3 boxes) of something like that to keep profits up. Or, you can do the opposite and only sell 5-packs of those things, which customarily go for a bit more.

One more thing (I know this is long). For a new website your challange will be making yourself look as though you've been around forever. People are afraid to buy from a "new" site because of legitimacy questions. Find a bunch of people to agree to post a lot of forum responses, write reviews, etc. RIGHT AWAY. If someone is looking at a specific cigar and sees a few reviews already there, they will not think "I wonder if this site is legit."

Last edited:

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
My advice: If you have to ask, then you shouldn't be opening an online cigar store. Where is your business plan?

Check with your local chambers of commerce, community center or small colleges. Some offer free business classes and have owners that attend that could give you real world advice.

Rating - 94.5%
85   3   0
I think Eric has a valid point. If you don't have a clear understanding of what it is that a cigar smoker would want from a site, then you probably shouldn't start one. I understand wanting some feedback, but you should have a concrete plan in terms of products, site layout, who you are targeting specifically (all smokers, new smokers, cigar afficionados and collectors), and how you plan to make yourself stand out from the other numerous established sites out there. All of these factors will determine your stick selection, pricing scheme, advertising and ultimately your success. I wish you the best but my suggestion would be to create something like a beta version of your site, post a link to BOTL and then get feedback on any changes that need to be made.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
My advice: If you have to ask, then you shouldn't be opening an online cigar store. Where is your business plan?

Check with your local chambers of commerce, community center or small colleges. Some offer free business classes and have owners that attend that could give you real world advice.
After opening a number of businesses this is the best advice you could get...The truth.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
My advice: If you have to ask, then you shouldn't be opening an online cigar store.
Although I honestly chuckeled out loud when I read this, it is very solid advice. Just because we have a hobby doesn't necessarily mean we can make a living at it. Solid advice, just funny to read.