What's new

Your Wineador - Long term storage or daily humidor?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Hello BOTL brothers.

General discussion time, how many of you use your wineador as a daily humidor and how many of you use it strictly use it for long term storage?

I thought I would share my setup and try to share my experience with some of the brothers who have Wineador problems and issues.

I see a lot of people spending a lot of money for stuff in their wineador they don't really need. There isn't need for tempature controls or auto fans switches.

The best thing I can say is decide up front what do you want to do with your wine cooler. If you are going to be using your wine cooler as a daily humidor you are always going to have a lot of humidity stability issues. I know during a weekend I might be in my desktop a dozen times digging through picking sticks. If you are doing that to your wineador it will cause constant drop of humidity in your cabinet so you will also be recharging your beads more often and that in turn swings humidity from dry to wet. I know I don't like when my Wineador gets up to 70% humidity, I'm just kinda anal like that I am a big 65% humidity freak. So in short if you are using your cooler as a big desktop you are going to be doing a lot of fighting with a steady RH balance.

I chose to keep my desktop for daily use and my wineador is for long term storage and aging. Long term storage means opening the door as little as possible, also the fans are used to simply stir the air in the wineador every so often. one last thing, (2) lbs. of beads is plenty of humidification for the entire wine cooler and all the boxes you can fit in it.

Feel Free to PM me with any questions you might have.

IMAG0056.jpg My Wineador and Newair 28 bottle wine cooler
IMAG0057.jpg My Inventory, the boxes on the bottom are all empty, used to take up air space and retain humidity balance.
IMAG0058.jpg Oregon Scientific makes some of the best quality temp/humidty monitors
IMAG0060.jpg Here is the extent of my wiring (2) cpu fans wired into a converter plug
IMAG0061.jpg Here is the only humidification I use (2) Lbs. 65% humidity beads
IMAG0062.jpg Isn't it pretty, cool blue lights.
IMAG0064.jpg Here is my 100 count glass top humidor, my daily selection of cigars.
IMAG0066.jpg I use (1/2) Lbs. of 65% humidity beads, but also keep my spare Bovida packs from my travel case in the desktop.
IMAG0067.jpg last the other wireless sensor from Oregon Scientific. Accurate to +/- 1% over 8 yrs. of use.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nice post. i wish i read it when i first started. nice set up too.

i use it as both. the problem i have is that i live in hawaii and i tend not to run my AC and a desktop humi would normally run 73 to 74 degrees despite being in the coolest spot in the house. i'm not gonna risk beetles.

i battle the spikes in humidity in the wineador by:
1) having enough beads that are dry to take up the excess RH and
2) i put some in each box i have the cigars in. which may be a little overkill but my sticks smoke really nicely. my thought is that the beads in the unsealed boxes would keep the insides of the boxes stable even if the outside environment shifts a little.

also, i have the exact opposite when i comes to humidity when i open the door. it's hardly ever below 70 here.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I am in the process of making a wineador. I have a 42 bottle frigidaire and I am waiting for my shelves from Forrest. I was actually thinking of using my Daniel Marsall humidor to age and my wineador for day to day. After reading your post I am thinking of switching it up. You make a lot of good points.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could try adding a bowl of KL to balance it out.
im using HF beads and they recover pretty quickly. it also helps that i have a lot more beads than i need in my 16 bottle.

but i have considered the kitty litter just to help with "fine tuning" but i haven't had the need to just yet.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I use my wineadoors for everything. Many people over think this hobby. Sealed boxes with Stable RHs are not going to drop due to a open door for a min or two. Singles get put in the pull out drawers made by one of the sites that has the glass covers. I can open that vino and dug thru one drawer while the other 5 stare at me at 65* RH. Finall my third vino is open boxes that stay shut. If I open that vino for a box the other 20 boxes aren't shifting humidity at all as well. I learned a lot here during my stay. One thing that stuck from a FOG(CWS) don't ever over think this hobby. Even if u had one vinotemp you could utilize these same three strategies and come out looking like a bad mofo!
Jfire

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
I have 3 wine cooler because I live in AZ and I can't afford a cooled cabinet unless I sell my collection and start over. Don't use a desktop at all and never have had a issue with major RH swing from opening a door

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sort of in the same boat as jubuan, except that I don't live in Hawaii, I live in Pittsburgh...not nearly as exciting. Anyway, I live in an apartment building where I don't control when the A/C is flipped on for the summer. What I mean is, it's either heat or A/C, and the A/C doesn't get turned on until they're absolutely sure we won't get another cold spell. This is exactly why I got the wineador so that I could have a temperature controlled environment for my sticks regardless of the temperature in my apartment. So, long story short, I use my wineador for both long-term storage and daily smokes. I use kitty litter and I generally don't see huge swings in my rH (stable around 65-67% all year long)...after all, I only open the door for a minute or 2 each time.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I use my wineadoors for everything. Many people over think this hobby. Sealed boxes with Stable RHs are not going to drop due to a open door for a min or two. Singles get put in the pull out drawers made by one of the sites that has the glass covers. I can open that vino and dug thru one drawer while the other 5 stare at me at 65* RH. Finall my third vino is open boxes that stay shut. If I open that vino for a box the other 20 boxes aren't shifting humidity at all as well. I learned a lot here during my stay. One thing that stuck from a FOG(CWS) don't ever over think this hobby. Even if u had one vinotemp you could utilize these same three strategies and come out looking like a bad mofo!
Jfire
I've considered getting those drawers with the glass top and have a couple questions. Do they offer any other benefit for storing singles in a wine cooler other than help protect against humidity changes? Like do the singles benefit from the protection from the air circulating due to the fan (for both regular smokes and aging)? Also, does each drawer then need its own humidification?

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Jfire
I've considered getting those drawers with the glass top and have a couple questions. Do they offer any other benefit for storing singles in a wine cooler other than help protect against humidity changes? Like do the singles benefit from the protection from the air circulating due to the fan (for both regular smokes and aging)? Also, does each drawer then need its own humidification?
Great questions. Wondering this myself. Purchasing drawers soon an wondering if i should do glass tops or not.

-Jared

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I think it definitely cuts down on air circulation.
I use a 4oz (?) HF bead tube in each single and rotate it to opposite side every other month or so. (There's a slit in the middle were plenty of air exchanges in the middle if the drawers under the glass.
I use 2 tubes in the double drawers.
The glass top does not offer long term aging benefits because its not "air tight" close but not SLB worthy of tightness.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Just remember, I put this up as just an example of what works for me. I've had this type of setup for almost 10 yrs, with little issues during the hot humid summers and the dry winters.
Right now my cooler is turned off, and I run the fans ever so often to stir air and see the pretty blue lights. When the temps in the house. get up into the steady 70's I will cool the cabinet down to 65 degrees F. and then allow the cabinet to RH to get back to 65% because when you cool the cabinet the RH willl drop until the temp is stable then the RH will rebound back.

I just wanted to offer a little of my experience, I kind of like to keep things simple with my wine cooler. Plus with less additional stuff put into the wine cooler I have room for more boxes to store and age.

But Please everyone keep sharing ideas and advice.