What's new

Ziplock Bag Storage

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Mold?? How can cigars get moldy if they are humidified correctly? Isn't that the reason for the boveda packs.
Since ziplocks are not a temp controlled environment the possibility of mold is there depending on the temperature the bags are kept at.
More mis-info... mold comes from high Rh/moisture, not temp.

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
I'm not trying to argue or ruffle anyone feathers, I swear, but paraphrased from A few articles along with a link:

The four requirements for mold growth:
Actual mold spores as small as 3 microns
A carbon surface for the mold to form on (cigars)
High Moisture
High Temperature

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/buildings/basics/moldgrowth.htm

And this is where my understanding comes from, feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
If you think mold can grow on cigars at a high temp with normal/low Rh all the power to ya... whereas mold can definitely grow at high Rh with normal/low temp.

Sure anything can happen, but that's the norm.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
And it's amazing how a simple thread like this can run on and on... the response I gave immediately was all that was needed. Yes to his answer.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Not to beat a horse that is so bloody and has been shot, stabbed, walked over and then killed again with a baseball bat. But a brother here by the name of W.B. (who has smoked cigars regularly/daily for 20 plus years) has used the freezer bag boveda box method for years with no problem. If he says it works( cause hey he actually uses this method). I would tend to go with that answer.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Could a boveda over humidify if it was touching a stick with not enough air, like if you had a full pillow and only 2 sticks in a small bag? This is just a what if question not a shit stirring to the guys with way more knowledge than me.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Pillow is not a boveda. Oillow is one way and can over humidify.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The original question begs a simple answer but we all know there are no simple answers anymore. Bovedas are a good product...they do their job and pillows do their job as well. Pillows say they have a 67% optimum humidity for about 15 cigars so if put in a ziploc they will do their job as well. Is it written in stone that they won't go over 67%...no, because I have had them go over that percentage. Bovedas tend to have their issue as well...it's not exact percentages.

Ziploc is a temporary solution so we need to be honest about this from the get go....find a permanent solution for our RH issue and use ziploc as a temporary measure...not long term. Everybody has had their own story about what they choose for RH....not everybody is ever going to agree on what is the best means but you can rest assured that there are those who will always thumb their noses at particular medias for their own bias...that's where this topic goes down the dirt road. General statements should be tempered with the idea that people need to research for themselves sometimes because not everybody is comfortable with certain methods...which is why everybody should at least try 2 different ones to see for themselves what they like. Does some info get distorted...of course it does because some people will use their own experiences to support their methodology...and not all experiences are valid but that doesn't mean it didn't work out for them. I've seen people put wet pillows in their humis for months with no consequences. I've seen people put Bovedas in their humis and couldn't get the RH to what it said it would do.

Hopefully people will search for themselves as to what works for them after applying common sense values to what humidification is all about and then at the end of the day choose what is right for them.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
At least people can agree that a lot of things in this hobby are personal preference. And for those that say using a ziplock can't be used for long term... well that's simply not true. That is personal preference. I know a few well respected people that have aged cigars for many YEARS in ziplocks with absolutely no problem and also read about people doing it. Same theory for using wax paper, saran wrap etc. Obviously those aren't as "air tight" as ziplocks, but the same theory to keep them sealed.

Rating - 100%
231   0   0