What's new

Ziplock Weathertight Tupperdore

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I've had the one shown here for a while and just can't seem to get the smell out.
http://www.botl.org/threads/new-tupperdor.85760/

I've tried washing it repeated with soap and water, with vinegar, pasting it with baking soda and letting it sit then cleaning it, filling with newspaper for a days, etc. Still smells heavily of plastic. I've even put a bunch of open empty cigar boxes in there for a while with humidity and I open it and only smell plastic. I've seen other people comment on these and recommend them in the past. Anyone else have this problem? Perhaps I'll just scrap it and go get something smaller that's food grade just use one small tupperware for each box of cigars. Or perhaps an actual cooler might have less of a smell?

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Crap, I bought one a couple days ago. I didn't notice any smell at the store but the lids were separate from the tubs. I opened it just now and it has an intense plastic smell also. I will return it and look for something else.

A Huge Nerd

Lee-Hair-Oh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I've had one for quite a while and the plastic smell was gone after one washing. I still don't recommend it because the locking handles broke after 3 months. I have to keep weight on the lid to make sure the seal is good.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the one shown here for a while and just can't seem to get the smell out.
http://www.botl.org/threads/new-tupperdor.85760/

I've tried washing it repeated with soap and water, with vinegar, pasting it with baking soda and letting it sit then cleaning it, filling with newspaper for a days, etc. Still smells heavily of plastic. I've even put a bunch of open empty cigar boxes in there for a while with humidity and I open it and only smell plastic. I've seen other people comment on these and recommend them in the past. Anyone else have this problem? Perhaps I'll just scrap it and go get something smaller that's food grade just use one small tupperware for each box of cigars. Or perhaps an actual cooler might have less of a smell?
Looks like you bought the 32 quart size.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The handles seem pretty sturdy on mine. And I used soap and water, then used some 91% rubbing alcohol on it then let it air out for about a week. Didn't notice any kind of plastic smell after that. And for the seal, I just went to a hardware store, picked up some rubber weather seal that had adhesive on the back and stuck it right on the foam "seal" that was already in there. All together I spent like $12 on the container and seal.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The handles seem pretty sturdy on mine. And I used soap and water, then used some 91% rubbing alcohol on it then let it air out for about a week. Didn't notice any kind of plastic smell after that. And for the seal, I just went to a hardware store, picked up some rubber weather seal that had adhesive on the back and stuck it right on the foam "seal" that was already in there. All together I spent like $12 on the container and seal.
I didn't have to do anything to mine besides clean the inside. The seal is the one that came with it.

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Maybe I just got a smelly one, but there's no way I'm throwing in all my full boxes of CC's and risk them smelling like plastic.
Got any old cedar cigar boxes? Or cheap smokes? If you have a cheap smoke, break it up and sprinkle the tobacco throughout the container.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Got any old cedar cigar boxes? Or cheap smokes? If you have a cheap smoke, break it up and sprinkle the tobacco throughout the container.
that's the thing. I have a left over cedar shelf from my wineador and 6 open, empty cedar cigar boxes in there right now and it still smells of only plastic when I open it up.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
I have one of the Ziploc brand ones that I've used for over a year. No smell issue, no humidity issues. It's been great. Handles have been fine and holds a rock solid rh at all times. The only reason I got a wino and am currently seasoning it is for a more displayable storage solution but I'll still use the Ziploc as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk