What's new

Zipper Merge - Yay or Nay?

Are you in favor of zipper merging?

• Of course! It is the most efficient use of all the pavement

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Hell no! The sign says 'Merge' -- Not 'Speed up and don't merge until you have to'

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • I don't really care one way or another

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Zipper merge? What's that?

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have read from the 'experts' and I know it is supposed to be best for traffic, but I still cannot abide the 'zippers' - those drivers that speed down the 'vanishing lane' to merge into my lane at the last second. Makes my teeth grind and makes my SUV slide over the line ever so subtley to 'block' those inconsiderate fools who know their lane is going to be gone -- the warning sign to merge was 3/4 of a mile back, for crying out loud! ....I'm a pretty logical guy for the most part, but I just can't get it through my head that late merging is a good idea in a civilized society.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/08/rules_of_the_road_theres_littl.html

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
IN NC, It's against the law to stop on an access ramp and I've almost rear ended a few people who decided to stop mid ramp and wait far a hole to open up. If traffic is flowing I merge as soon as possible. If it's gridlocked, I go down as far as I unless a hole presents itself.

Personally I have no problem with alternating access. (zipper) If I'm on the highway and the merge lane is to my right, I do have special feelings for those behind me that pull into the merge lane and try to jump the que.

Many times I've wanted to mount paintball markers under my bumper just for them

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Merge when the opportunity presents itself. Do not stop in the access lane, as Highlander said, until you have absolutely no other option (i.e. the last possible moment). Do not pass up opportunities to merge in order to get ahead of people. If you're the mergee, let people in. It's really quite simple.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I should say that my problems (in my head) arise not so much from entrance ramps as those lane reduction areas due to construction or simply the way the highway is engineered -- say going down from three lanes to two.

Also, I have a very hard dealing with a particular spot in my own commute - the two lanes on my side of the highway split - one to interstate (left) and one to US highway (right lane) -- the interstate side is always busier ---- so there's always a few jackwagons that jump over to the right lane to zip towards the split and then cut back in to MY lane -- I've nosed out to the right to threaten to clip them as they go by....and I'll speed up to tailgate the guy in front so they don't come back over in front of me....paint ball markers, huh? Might be better than the .50 cal option I was considering

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I've nosed out to the right to threaten to clip them as they go by....and I'll speed up to tailgate the guy in front so they don't come back over in front of me...
Sorry man, but that is a type of driving that can be a problem and unsafe... And I'm only talking if the other drivers are going the speed limit and not cutting off people when they merge or wait too long and cut over after the lanes have started splitting etc. If there are open lanes, they should be used. I don't get why people get so angry with other drivers where they feel the need to personally speed up and/or swerve against them.

Everyone needs to get to work on time etc and I'm not defending jackass drivers, but there are a lot of drivers out there that use lanes legally and merge into open spots. Sometimes, shit happens and people can be in a bit more of a rush where they don't want to drive in a slower lane when there is an open lane that can and should be used. For those drivers, why should you care and get angry about it? Why would you swerve over a bit making you the illegal driver making it personal?

An example for one of my drives is a highway where 2 lanes merge into 1 at highway speed... before it merges with another highway. Pretty much all the time the left lane has more cars because people know that's the lane that continues on technically... but the 2 lanes pretty much both move over making it a true merge. The right lane always has cars driving until the 2 lanes merge, but it's usually less crowded so those cars can go a bit faster, even though it's under the speed limit. I have seen cars slow down to 35-40 mph in the left lane when there is a half mile wide open in the right lane. If I see a totally open lane where I can and should legally drive, why shouldn't I use it? Traffic can move easier and stay the speed limit if people used those 2 lanes how it's meant to... keep up speed in both lanes and merge every other lane/car. But no... some cars in the left lane take it personal and feel since they slowed down and waited in the left lane that people coming up on the right lane should not get ahead of them. Even though there is wide open lane for another 1/4 mile. I have seen people in the left speed up like you said Dave just to cut off the merging traffic. That merging car did nothing wrong, was not speeding and was not cutting off people... they were simply using the lane that was there and merging over as it was designed. I have also seen people in the left swerve over to cut off people coming down the right side even though there is a lot of road remaining in the right lane, legally and safe. Who is the problem driver there? The person driving legally and under the speed limit, or the car swerving?

If someone can't handle cars getting in front of you, then use the open lane. If you are only talking about the jackass drivers that fly down the merging lane even after the line has moved over, or cutting over and having to slam the brakes on... then I agree with you.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Aloha,
I respect your opinion and have a hard time disagreeing with specifics. But after some thought, I have to agree with
Do not pass up opportunities to merge in order to get ahead of people.
This.
I acknowledge that using the entire merge lane might make some sense for traffic flow. However, I can't get past the idea that most who continue in the vanishing lane are simply trying to get ahead (rudely, IMO) of those who were already in that lane, or who merged earlier. I didn't mean to imply that my actions are threatening or dangerous -- but I do want to discourage (I know - its unlikely) those drivers that I've decided are being boorish. Like when someone is speeding up the shoulder in stopped traffic - when there's no exit in sight; I might well be the guy that slides a bit to the right...not to clip the overtaking car, but maybe to make them think twice? I know, I know it isn't going to change behavior....but I might feel a little better - without actually shooting at them :)

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
You talk about going out of your lane and tailgating, at minimum, those are certainly dangerous... and in the context of this conversation, almost certainly threatening.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If I were you I'd stop worrying about it. Make it a point to let them in from now on. In the great scheme of things this isn't worth getting upset over.

Consider this chain reaction.

Tom had to pick up the kid from daycare and suddenly it started having explosive diarrhea in the back seat. Tom takes the right lane because the really needs to get the kid home. At the time to merge, you see him and cut him off, making sure he can't get in. Tom is now upset nd thinks you're a jerk, he has to get his kid home. He tries to force his way in behind you but taking your que the care behind you does the same. Tom now thinks 2 people are jerks. The poo now is leaking on the seat. Tom forces his way in, putting his bumper in a space it wasn't designed to fit in. That drive honks his horn, which you hear and think they are honking at you. you know think there is another jerk in the line. # cars back, betty lou wasn't paying attention, she dropped her Ipod and just bent over to pick it up but because she didn't notice the car in front of her stop short due to the forced merge, she rear ends the BMW. NOw traffic in that lane is halted. Hundreds of people are mad. Video shows up on the 6 oclock news. # people now miss flights, one to her father's funeral because they were stuck in traffic.

All because you didn't let Tom merge.
(tongue planted firmly in cheek)

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
3/4 miles?
Thats an eternity.
So for those who like using up every inch of free road ? no sweat .
like in hematology, the constant flow and edd of traffic best works to allow for each persons preffered individualised driving habits.
less the texters, tailgater, and 4 lane changer types, its all good from a to b.

i prefer 77mph in the suv on the left most lane and 62 mph in the ranger on the right . and i find i wave thru alot of girls :)