What's new

Zippo Blu

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A member recently offered to send me one, and after using it for a bit I have a couple of thoughts.

In no particular order:

* Lighting can be tricky. It's best if you hold down the wheel for at least a half second before sparking it.

* When it lights it sometimes goes out randomly, requiring a relight.

* Sometimes you have to wait a minute between relights (annoying as all hell).

* Lid gets in the way sometimes when trying to light a cigar.

* The nonadjustable flame seems to be self adjusting. Sometimes it's nice and big, sometimes it's small and week.

* Fuel window is crap. One minute it's showing it's empty, the next it says it's more then full.

Overall I like the idea of a butane Zippo lighter. I even like the flint ignition. What I don't like is how unreliable it is in the day to day use. Some days are much better then others. Some days it's unusable. Butane fuel seems very sensitive to temperature, which can be a problem leaving it in your car on a cold day.

I am going to play with it a bit more (purge, etc) and see if I can get it to be more reliable. I filled it initially with some cheap butane, but later got a can of Zippo brand butane.

Speaking from an uninformed standpoint, and only going on real world applications, why wouldn't propane be used as a fuel? Higher pressures, less susceptible to cold, more reliable.... Just curious, if anyone can fill me in on that I'd appreciate it.

Doc

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I must be blessed with the only good one! I have never really had any issues with it.

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
A member recently offered to send me one, and after using it for a bit I have a couple of thoughts.

In no particular order:

* Lighting can be tricky. It's best if you hold down the wheel for at least a half second before sparking it.

* When it lights it sometimes goes out randomly, requiring a relight.

* Sometimes you have to wait a minute between relights (annoying as all hell).

* Lid gets in the way sometimes when trying to light a cigar.

* The nonadjustable flame seems to be self adjusting. Sometimes it's nice and big, sometimes it's small and week.

* Fuel window is crap. One minute it's showing it's empty, the next it says it's more then full.

Overall I like the idea of a butane Zippo lighter. I even like the flint ignition. What I don't like is how unreliable it is in the day to day use. Some days are much better then others. Some days it's unusable. Butane fuel seems very sensitive to temperature, which can be a problem leaving it in your car on a cold day.

I am going to play with it a bit more (purge, etc) and see if I can get it to be more reliable. I filled it initially with some cheap butane, but later got a can of Zippo brand butane.

Speaking from an uninformed standpoint, and only going on real world applications, why wouldn't propane be used as a fuel? Higher pressures, less susceptible to cold, more reliable.... Just curious, if anyone can fill me in on that I'd appreciate it.
I also go through the same issues as your self with my blue. I have often thought about sending it back to Zippo for repair. I used triple refined fuel but found it to make no difference; so now I use Zippo brand.
I think the reason propane is not used in small hand held lighters is that they would require a pressure regulator. This would make it safe and more reliable up to about 5000' above sea level. Also a pressure relief valve would be needed if it were over filled or left in a hot area as the pressures could reach 350 psi. Overall, it would be a very expensive lighter to produce.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You are the first, last and only person I have ever heard of who has had good experiences with the Blu.
Make me the second.

I switched fuel sources and not it appears to be doing just fine. :dunno:

Flame is still either strong or weak, but if it starts off weak (and isn't low on fuel) it gets better in about 10 sec.