What's new

Zune!!!!

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
So we got them in yesterday at work (Circuit City) and today we busted a couple out to play with.
These things are so cool! When you watch videos you turn it sideways and it's a widescreen -- much bigger than the IPod videos. And the picture quality is amazing! You can also share music with other Zune users wirelessly, which is really pimp. I had no problems navigating the thing right out of the box, either.
The widescreen is definitely the coolest feature, tho. We were all amazed at the quality of the videos.
Just figured I'd post my thoughts on it in case any of you guys are debating wheter or not to get one.

TYLER

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
The music sharing is limited to 3 plays in 3 days, pretty crippled if you ask me.

I don't think its going to be an ipod killer if they don't sell the movies in their store yet even.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I bought the Toshiba gigbeat S when it first came out. Very similar to this device, I believe Toshiba makes them both. The navigation is brilliant (same on both devices), but the battery life sucked and so far the reviews for this have been the same. I returned it for a creative zen vision:m.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I am all set.

I have the IPOD, my kids have the IPODs. No more money for these things. The IPODs work great.

Now if we didn't have the IPODs, these look kinda cool. But I have no trouble what so ever with the IPODs.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Just some tidbits I found on WSJ online:

Cons:
Placing the Zune next to the 30-gigabyte iPod provides a strong contrast. The iPod is thin, sleek and elegant looking. The Zune looks big and blocky, sort of like a prototype for a gadget, rather than a finished product. It is longer, thicker and heavier than even the 80-gigabyte iPod, which has more than twice its capacity.

Zune was adapted from a much-praised but slight-selling music player, the Toshiba Gigabeat, in order to get it to market more quickly.

But the wireless music-sharing feature on the Zune is heavily compromised, in a way that is bound to annoy the very audience it is targeting. Each song sent to your Zune from another Zune can be played only three times and is available for playing for only three days. After that, it dies and can't be played again unless you buy it. Even if you play the song only halfway through, or for one minute, that counts as one of your three allowed plays. In fact, in my tests, a song I sent to my assistant's Zune expired after only two plays, one of which lasted just a few seconds. Microsoft attributed that to a bug that it said would be fixed.

Even worse, to buy even a single 99-cent song from the Zune store, you have to purchase blocks of "points" from Microsoft, in increments of at least $5. You can't just click and have the 99 cents deducted from a credit card, as you can with iTunes. You must first add points to your account, then buy songs with these points. So, even if you are buying only one song, you have to allow Microsoft, one of the world's richest companies, to hold on to at least $4.01 of your money until you buy another. And the point system is deceptive. Songs are priced at 79 points, which some people might think means 79 cents. But 79 points actually cost 99 cents.

Pros:
Zune has several nice features the iPod lacks: a larger screen, the ability to exchange songs with other Zunes wirelessly and a built-in FM radio. It solves the worst problem that plagued earlier Microsoft-based music players -- frequent failures to synchronize properly music and videos between the players and personal computers. Synchronization on the Zune is smooth and sure.

Also, the Zune player and software have a very good user interface, different from, but in some cases easier to use than, the iPod's. While it lacks the famous iPod scroll wheel, instead using a common four-way navigation pad, I found song lists easy to navigate on the Zune. It has only a few buttons and is quite intuitive to use. To my ears, it sounded as good as the iPod.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can just imagine the virus that will get passed along wirelessly to these, then downloaded into your computer.

I will stick to my iPods.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Looks like I will be sticking with the IPOD.

I am very happy with it. Why change something if you don't have to.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I saw one in the store the other day. No way I would switch from the iPod to that.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Zen extra 40 gig mp3 player. It's old, a bit large, and not as sexy as an iPod.

But, I can replace the battery.

It plays mp3 files. It can function as a external hard drive.

It don't suck. It is not tied to any particular operating system.

I will keep using my iPod shuffle, but "Old Betsy" will be my mp3 player for the immediate future.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Uh...you can replace the battery in an iPod, you know. I replaced mine 2 years ago (after 3 years of service on the original battery) and it only cost $14.95 to buy a new one. Heck, it even came with the necessary install tools.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
You can also use the iPod as a hard drive and use different operating systems
A point worth emphasizing here. You don't need any special software to get music off of an iPod or to transfer music from one computer to another.
If the music you are trying to transfer is from the iTunes Music Store then you might have a problem, but if it's just regular MP3 (which is most of the digital music out there) you can just copy it like any other file.
There is an option in iTunes to enable the use of an iPod as a hard drive.
It shows up just like any other removable drive.
Wanna get songs off of it (Mp3s only)?
Just plug your iPod in and drag the songs off. They'll be named weird, but the ID3 tags will still be present.
Wanna transfer music from one computer to another?
Just drag the MP3 files onto the iPod and then connect it to your PC and drag it off. MP3s will only be playable on the iPod if you use iTunes to load them. Otherwise they act like any other data file.

You can use the iPod to store photos, data files, any thing you want. Think of it as a portable hard drive that also plays music.