What's new

10 Rules for Cigar Lounge Etiquette

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Got the link for this in my e-mail today, was wondering if anyone had posted it yet and sure 'nuff :grin:. Definitely a great reminder for some, if I owned a B&M I would have a large plaque with these rules on it :laugh:. I too have been guilty of bringing sticks from home, but I usually try to stock up on some stuff while I'm there.

Dan

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Never take over a conversation and DOMINATE it. We have one guy who did this routinely and it became habit such that another guy started picking on him. Turns out the latter was kinda the shop bully and it was all in good fun but for newbies this can be a turnoff.

NEVER assume by a person's dress who they are. I wear a kilt and into kinky erotic romance. But I'm as much a BOTL as the next guy, just willing to share and experience and share my experiences. I've only had this happen in one shop here in Oakland and I never went back. The folks at Grants however have treated me like a respected customer.

Lastly, Sincere Loyalty will get you very far with your tobacconist. Grants changed the lounge policies back in August, shrinking the lounge to two chairs instead of about 8, required a minimum purchase of $25 before patrons could smoke and sit. When I went in one day after policy change to grab a Padron at $10.50, the owner said "Sascha if you want to have a seat and enjoy your cigar, there's an open chair."

It clicked in my head why the policy change and what "I" needed to do to support my tobacconist in San Francisco. Btw, the policy went from 2 to 5 chairs and the minimum purchase went from $25 to $15, finally to going away altogether. And the guys at Grants are very helpful/friendly.

Rev

Perfecto Lounge
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to add 2 more "commandments" to the list:

Thou shalt not lift a cigar from it's resting place in the shop humidor, sniff deeply while dragging across the bottom of your nose, then set the cigar back down.

Thou shalt not purchase a cigar from the shop, stick the end in your mouth and then ask for a cutter.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Got the link for this in my e-mail today, was wondering if anyone had posted it yet and sure 'nuff :grin:. Definitely a great reminder for some, if I owned a B&M I would have a large plaque with these rules on it :laugh:. I too have been guilty of bringing sticks from home, but I usually try to stock up on some stuff while I'm there.

Dan
There might be some copies randomly laying around our shop :cbig:

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
When I spill ash I always offer to clean it up. 75% of he time the staff takes care of it for me. But if I see a broom in sight, I'll usually just grab it and clean my own mess.

To add another twist to the etiquette issue, how about those B&M's out there who WON'T allow you to stay and smoke unless you're a member (or rent a locker from them), abolishing that policy once and for all. There are a couple of these locally and they may be in the minority, but this should never be the case, ever, IMO.

Is there any legit reason for a policy like this to exist - just curious?
In some cities, the only way around a smoking ban is to have a "smoking club." So some places do it out of necessity, others because they want to.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post.Of the rules posted, the one that irks me the most when someone violates it is the one about cleaning up after yourself. I don't mind ashes in the ashtray, but when they're strewn all over the table or even on the chair....c'mon!

The one that does not bug me at all is working on your laptop. I don't do this, but I am not at all annoyed when someone else is.

But overall, reading the list leads me to realize that by and large, the folks I meet at lounges are actually a very polite bunch. I have not encountered a show-off or maven. sure, I have had many chats which begin "what are you smoking" and lead to a conversation about our likes and dislikes, but these conversations have always been friendly with no hint of "I know better than you". People seem to accept that personal tastes (and budgets!) will vary. After all, that's why the humidor has more than one brand in it!

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Criollo that's how I begin most of my conversations and it always turns up for the better. Met some folks at Mission Pipe in Pleasanton last time i was out there and it was cool, got asked about my utilikilt, the padron I was smoking, my writing. In turn I learned one guy I was talking to was from JMG, the distributor if I understand correctly in the Bay Area, another guy was a businessman who travels for his job and then another guy who remembered me from two months earlier when I was in after a cardiologist appointment.

Being a writer, I NEED the social setting.

Bowhnter

Backyard Smoker
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Needs to be an addendum.

If you choose to smoke a scented cigar, please exit the lounge.
What about a pipe? I have nothing against a pipe, I smoke one (rarely) myself. The manager at one of the B&M's I go to occasionally smokes his pipe. My only issue with it is, when I go there to smoke, I always buy and smoke something I have not had before, so it affects how I think of that cigar.

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
What about a pipe? I have nothing against a pipe, I smoke one (rarely) myself. The manager at one of the B&M's I go to occasionally smokes his pipe. My only issue with it is, when I go there to smoke, I always buy and smoke something I have not had before, so it affects how I think of that cigar.
I think there's a night and day difference between pipe smoke and an Acid.

p.s. Nice Egg. :)

tkieck

Soldier of Fortune
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of these don't apply to me because im basically an employee without taking a paycheck. Besides I love helping customers when the other employees are busy but I guess I know these guys really well Haha

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My two biggest complaints is No.8 and No.9!!
No argument Larry!

I can think of a few names right now! :rolling:

Now, as for #2...

The majority of my stash has an Empire tag on it...I'd just be bringing it back in for a reunion before it's untimely demise!

#10 -

Guilty here. Especially in the humidor. :hanghead:

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm cool with pipes (seeing as I own three and bought from my local tobacconist) Just no corncobs! :p

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Sorry, but that line made me think of this, lol

[YOUTUBE]12JTDp6xm18[/YOUTUBE]
:rofl: Couldn't watch it on my work comp, but finally got it pulled up on my phone (apparently the military isn't a big fan of buildings with phone reception) and that's hilarious!

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
403ed as I tried the link. I am really intrigued by these rules. Unless they're the usual "don't leave the band on", "only use spanish cedar to light the cigar", and the sort.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya the link won't work for me either...

Could we bother you to post a copy?

Or is that a hangin offense? :dunno:

Thanks a bunch,