What's new

1st fitness thread!!!!

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
So in an effort to finally see a thread in this category that has something to do with fitness, rather than shaving a.k.a. "Fashion"...

I'm doing my first tough muddier next spring. Anyone done one and what was your experience with it?

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Never done a tough mudder. Many friends invite me as I am an avid gym guy 5 days a week 2 hours a day (powerlifting and bodybuilding regimen). My friends say it is tough but tons of fun. I may do one soon.

Last edited:

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Mansfield Saturday May 17th. 8:20 am.

We've got a group of 8 of us. If you wanna join our team we've got room for 2 more

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
One of the ladies that I work with did one and broke her ankle. Jumped in the mud pit thinking it was deep but it wasn't. Landed wrong and "snap".

Another friend and I did a trail run half marathon. He injured the ball-socket joint in his hip due to the rough terrain and the fact that all if his training was on a treadmill. You have to pound the road some and do some uneven surface runs ahead of time to condition your body for these typed of runs.

Me? I'm a TRX guy with some free weights. Road biking and tri's. I did some light running this morning, my first since June 1st where I got a stress fracture in my foot and partially torn ligaments.

I'm glad for the thread as well.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Wow, remind me not to workout with you...what with all the injuries. Sheesh.

But your horror stories haven't deterred me...you can't keep a thoroughbred like me in the stables!! Ha!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad back, neck & knees have killed my running career. I alternate daily between a brisk walk on the treadmill and a recumbent bike with some light weights thrown in a few days a week. Yesterday, I learned what abdominal spasms are all about, trust me you don't want to experience them!

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Ok. I'm thinking I should change the title of this thread to "first PoSITiVe fitness thread"

Y'all are depressing me

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0
I've done the tough mudder. It was on mt snow, VT. It was one hell of a time. I'm an avid gym goer, play football. I consider myself pretty fit. I didn't have any issues with the obstacles but running up and down the mountain was hell. I cramped up and had a hard time 3/4 of the way through. Only thing I can recommend is carry a camel pack, load up on energy fruit snacks (helps stop cramping) and train running hills.

It's an awesome time don't let me talk it down like it's some crazy hard thing to do. I was just unprepared but had a blast.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I've done a tough mudder and it is a complete blast only thing is if you have sore joints like bad knees or ankles be very very careful it is a very odd and tough thing to do in mud and you have 0 support or traction but outside of that with friends it is absolutely hilarious. Have fun.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
So I've been doing some light Crossfit fit workouts, if there is such a thing, and started running incline on the tread mill. Once the first of the year rolls around I'll start the serious training. Tight now we've for 8 ppl, including my wife, so it should be a good time. There's only one person that I'm concerned about...his commitment is questionable and I'd hate for the whole group to get slowed down by waiting on one person

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Don't forget that a nutritious and varied diet is key to reaping the benefits of exercising!! Put in that hard work, but your body wants the right fuel to really maximize its potential. I'm not talking bout that powder stuff that people swear by, (why waste money on protein powders and such when you could be buying cigars) but getting those nutrients in their naturally occurring form so your body can sustain.

Best of luck to you in your TM bballbaby! I've never done one, but it sure looks like fun.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I have been wanting to do one, but need to get back into a better shape other then round. Actually starting to run tomorrow and might prep for a 5K soon. Keep us posted brother and let us know how you end up doing.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Ball, if you're looking to have a good finishing time and want to finish strong, I suggest implementing a half marathon training program. It's basically a half marathon through off road terrain and obsticals. You need go have that runners stamina that can only be built up through putting in the miles. It will be worth it though. I agree you've got to hit the hard ground for your running and on some uneven terrain to build up your stability. Last thing you want is fatigue and improper form getting you hurt. Treadmill just doesn't cut it IMO. The right shoes are almost just as important. Taper off your training a few weeks before your TM to be refreshed and body 100% for the big day. You could do some smaller obsticals/mud runs as part of your training too. I did an 7mile mud run (badass dash) and ran my first half M last year...it's worth every ounce of sweat brother.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I need to work out, I havent done so since all three of my kids have been born. Its tough finding time to do so. Im thinking at night when they go to sleep but want something thats a quick everyday workout that doesnt need a bunch of equipment. I have been looking into P90X....but Ive just been looking so far.