What's new

2 Years Ago Today

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Man how time flies! Hard to believe it has been 2 years now but I just want to once again let everyone here know how grateful I am for the brotherhood here at BOTL. For those that weren't here back then and are wondering what the hell I am talking about, I'll give a quick history lesson.

I had just gotten off work and walked over to my favorite watering hole. About two sips in to my beer I get a call from my neighbor telling me the house was on fire. At first I thought he was kidding, then he said it again and I could hear it in his voice that he wasn't kidding around. I rushed home to find half a dozen or so fire trucks surrounding my place and once I was able to get close I could see it was bad. Hours later I was able to go in and see that there was nothing left.

From the moment I mentioned in a text message that I was heading home to see what was going on I received a huge outpouring from friends, family and BOTL. I went to my parents house that night and barely got any sleep. I had a basic renters insurance policy but that took a few weeks to go through, during that time I saw a generosity among people like I never knew imaginable. Friends were coming by the house and work and dropping off bags of clothes, gift cards and envelopes of cash. A few days later I was able to get on BOTL and see all the private messages and auctions that so many selflessly put up for me. I am a pretty proud guy and always try to do for me and not put anyone out, I really struggled to accept any of this, but was told over and over again to take it and not worry about it. I broke down in tears a few times when I saw what was happening.

The material items have since been replaced and I have moved on without looking back at what I had, I do miss a few things like all the photographs I had, but I can't do anything but let them go. I think I realized that night standing there watching them fight the fire that it was time to start over.

I just want to express my deepest gratitude to all my friends and family and all the BOTL that without hesitation made the decision to help me out. I will never forget it and I am thankful every day for the bonds we have created here. Thank you!

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
What an amazing story. This place continues to amaze and surprise me. So much love flows around here. It's so refreshing to know their are a few places on the Internet that aren't full of trolls and snobbery.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I remember this... It was when I first joined I think. I am just glad nobody was hurt. I can't even imagine how traumatic it was. This is a great group with great people.

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Thanks for sharing Craig. I heard the story of this, but have since witnessed it in many forms in my time here. This is an amazing place. I salute each and every brother here for taking time to make another brother's day better.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I joined about a month after this happened, and I remember reading about it. But at that point I really had no idea what this place was all about and who anyone was. Man, time goes by so fast. Glad everything worked out Craig, and knowing what I know now about this place it isn't a surprise at all that everyone helped out.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Dang it has been two years I also remember when this happened. Glad to hear you are back on your feet Craig. Sorry to hear about the photos that you lost in the fire. This is one of my biggest worries with owning a home. Yes, this is a great brotherhood this thing called BOTL I love this place.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Everyday.... (every-single-day) I am amazed by the kindness and thoughtfulness of my Brothers.

I know I'll never to get used to it, which makes me even more grateful.

Craig, you made my month with this post.

Thank you sir and thank you BOTL.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Craig I am fairly new as you know and I did but know if this story. The important part is that the story does not surprise me. This forum is incredibly loving and thoughtful. A brotherhood through and through. I've seen the acts of kindness and compassion that go on here (outside of the bombs). This place makes me realize that there are real people out there that still believe in friendship and caring for your fellow man/woman. I am thankful everyday that I am a part of this now and I hope to one day continue the tradition as a veteran member. Thank you for this post and keep on keeping on brother

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Craig thank you for sharing your story. I am beyond happy to hear that your life has returned to normal. I wish for nothing but the best for you and I want you to know that this brotherhood will always have your back.

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
That is a touching story brother! Sorry to hear about that loss. But thankful no one was hurt or worse! Glad to see you made it back on your feet. This really is an awesome place. Over the Last week or so my eyes are opening to a new world. Its not about cigars here. Its the family here that matters.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I've been on quite a few forums for many years now and have never seen a brotherhood like this place. This place is truly amazing and I'm glad to be a part of it.

Being a home owner I can't imagine having to go through that, glad to hear you were able to get back on your feet and move on. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Rating - 98.4%
90   1   0
I'm sorry to hear about your photos man, at least no body was hurt. I'm glad to hear this story tho Craig, it confirms my suspicions about this forum and brotherhood. There are some genuinely amazing people here. It's not just a name, it truly is a brotherhood.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm glad you are doing ok brother. This is a ridiculously hard thing to go through. I couldn't imagine it. You are one hell of a strong person. And this is one hell of a strong brotherhood. I'm proud to call each and every one of you brothers.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am glad your back on track and you are able to look back on the fire and see the positive things that came from it. It definitely sucks loosing everything you own specially pictures. But I suspect you gained something just as special, great friendships and bonds. Thanks for sharing your story