What's new

2011 Camaro Convertible vs 2010 Corvette Coupe

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Like the title says, considering these two vehicles (ie - I just turned 40 yesterday, HELLO mid-life crisis...LOL!).

So, brand new 2011 Camaro Convertible fully-loaded, or at least loaded up the way I want it (the 2SS, probably with the RS package, 6-speed manual, etc.) is essentially the same price as a brand new 2010 Corvette Coupe (has the targa top) that is decently loaded, although it's not the Grand Sport, Convertible, etc. As you can probably guess, deals are being made (dealer discounts and $4K rebate) on the '10 vettes.

I drove the Camaro Convertible the other night (1 day before my 40th LOL), it was nice, put the top down, ran it through the tap-shift auto (I prefer a manual), rode nice, etc. It didn't give me the "grinning like an idiot smile" though. I did like it however, but it didn't just hit me with a "YOU'VE GOTTA HAVE IT" feeling, maybe it was the color (dark red)? Price is inflexible, would also have to order it to get the exact car I want (orange with black stripes and a few other goodies).

I'm in a drop-top mood more than anything I suppose. Now the Corvette Coupe, it has the targa top, how much of a pain is it (or not) to remove, you pop it off and it fits in a holder in the rear of the vehicle, right?

So, that being said, anyone have any experience with both/either? I'd really like a convertible vette but the price is just too high for me, at least a new one, might consider one a few years older, I dunno...

I'm a pretty sizable guy (6' large frame) but I've only sat in one of the new vettes once, that was a few years ago and I was portlier, I wasn't that comfy. The Camaro was pretty comfy.

Hate to say it, but I'm getting bored with my little 2008 Jeep JK Rubicon hardtop. I LOVE having the top off, but it's a PAIN in the rear to go from one state to the other (ie - top on, top off).

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
i have heard that the new camaros are absolutely claustrophobic to sit and very difficult to see out of.
i'm probably partial to the vette. when it's hot down there, how much are you going to go with the top down/open?
what's insurance?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Bob - the Camaro did feel claustrophobic *until* I put the top down. I will say that it was hard to see the rear/rear corners of the car. Wife used to have an '03 Mustang GT Convertible and the sight lines were excellent (especially compared to the Camaro). Currently I leave the Jeep top off (with the exception of the overhead front targa tops) all summer. For a few weeks I leave the WHOLE Jeep top off, but the sun does give a nice roasting to the forehead...I prefer it at night, love night drives with the top down!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a Camaro back when I was your age. (57 now) T-tops V8 really fun to
drive. Same build as you 6'2" 225lbs. and when the new wore off I finally realized
that it was easy to get into the car, but was a bitch getting out. Been the SUV route
ever since. If you don't mind grabbing the door frame and putting the other hand
on the rocker panel to climb out go for the Camaro:driving:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
The new Camaro just makes me freaking drool. I do like the current Vet probably more than I have in a long time, but there is just something about the Camaro. If I were in the market, it would be at the top of the list (unless I could swing a Porsche, hehe).

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Have you driven the Chalenger? The SRT8 is OMG fun to drive. it ists high enough that you can get in and out easliy, and is as close tot he muscle cars of the past as you can get.

of your 2 choices, Camaro hands down. That thing is just friggin cool looking.

Deemancpa

Hook'em Horns
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what I got for Xmas, looked at about everything..wife wouldn't go for the z06, came out of a 3 series.

Infiniti G37S 335 hp 19" wheels fast and furious!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Have you looked at the GT500. It's a like a gorilla in a silk suit. It has excellent drivability and mind blowing power when you put your foot to the wood. Plus $1000 in mild mods gets you 600 rwhp. I love mine!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The Mustang is on my mind, the wife is nixing it though....she loves GM (used to work for them). But I thought it was for me? LOL

I've sat in the Challenger, I liked the way it looks, but it's ALOT of money (and weight!!) for what it is....$44K or so. I told the salesman to give me a call if he was ready to deal....been a month or so and no call....so, no-go. I do like it, but it would have to be cheaper....and a convertible....

Rating - 100%
68   0   1

This is what I got for Xmas, looked at about everything..wife wouldn't go for the z06, came out of a 3 series.

Infiniti G37S 335 hp 19" wheels fast and furious!

Love the G. I really enjoyed my G coupe.

OP, I say 2011 coupe based on your options.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Personally I'd go corvette, although they are a giant PITA to get out of. I hate the soft top look, hard top convertible only for me. So with that being said the targa seems like a decent compromise. Plus the targa is bound to be quieter with the top on, than the camaro with the top up. Can't speak to how hard it is to get the top on/off though.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Personally I'd go corvette, although they are a giant PITA to get out of. I hate the soft top look, hard top convertible only for me. So with that being said the targa seems like a decent compromise. Plus the targa is bound to be quieter with the top on, than the camaro with the top up. Can't speak to how hard it is to get the top on/off though.
Yep. My one disappointment is that it I a soft top. I have one now, but that is because I couldn't swing the price tag for a vert hard top when I was buying.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's been awhile since I've sat in a vette.....so, I guess a test drive will be the proof. If it's too much of a pain to get in/out of, well, then that may kill it. Decisions, decisions....LOL. The Camaro was easy to get in/out of.

Just for grins, last night my wife and I went to the local Chevy house (Classic Chevy in Grapevine) after hours....went through ROW after ROW of Camaros and Vettes....let's just say they have ALOT of inventory (20+ Vettes, 50+ Camaros, and it could be MORE). I think the following two pics say it all....it's a case of THIS (2011 Vette Coupe w/ targa, lightly loaded/optioned) or THAT (2011 Camaro Convertible, fully loaded)...they are both right at $45K ±.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is corvette...I personally don't like soft top convertibles, just don't seem to like the look.

I was in the camaro convertible recently and if i'm not mistaken isn't there some sort of cover that needs to be taken out of the trunk and placed on top when the roof is down to give it a clean put away look? To me, if i'm going convertible I would prefer it to be tucked away into the trunk in all 1 motion, without having to get out and still apply the cover manually. You don't necessarily need this cover, but it does look a little better with it on.

The targa top on the vette would obviously need to be done manually, but, it does tuck away nicely and isn't too much of a pita. I don't own one so I've only been a part of this process a handful of times but I don't recall it being a hassle at all.

If I was going corvette I would go targa top as my first choice, followed by hard top then convertible. But thats just me.

I think the vette has a ton more trunk space as well, if that is a concern at all.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The tonneau cover (I think that's what it's called) on the Camaro Convertible indeed does make it look better. My wife's previous '03 GT convertible had one too. I didn't worry about it for quick top drops, but I did for extended driving with the top down, it wasn't that big of a deal.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Corvette all the way!

Yes, the vette sits really low and is hard to get in out of, but if this is an issue at 40 years old then I think you have more things to worry about. The targa top is really easily removed and stores nice in the trunk.

IMO you definitally will not be dissapointed with the Corvette, the used market is great on the C6 Vette. You should easily be able to find one in your price range with low mileage.

2008 Coupe: Custom rear end, upgraded tires, custom exhaust, custom hood, etc.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
If you're looking for performance go with the vette. The camaro is heavy as sin.

I also am not a fan of drop tops on "performance" cars. A friend of mine just got a Z06, it is scary fast and actually pretty comfortable. My rebuttal to corvette owners has always been:"sure they're fast...in a straight line" but the zo6 handling really surprised me.