What's new

2015 BOTL Pipe - Shape/Maker Discussion & Poll

Which Pipe would you pick as the 2015 BOTL Pipe of the Year?

• Pipe #1

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Pipe #2

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Pipe #3

Votes: 18 48.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Voting for three. Lack of airway work on#2 and tenon work on 1. Three has weight, airway work and excellent button work. All important to me. If a maker does these right, the rest should be above par as well. Details. #3 looks they got a little heavy with the bowl coating.
Good eye and good points man. Thanks for posting this for us all to consider!

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I mostly smoke cobs. Primarily because they work, but also because I'm a bit of a cheapass. I have about a dozen briars, half are restored estate pipes, the other half are irreparable estate pipes. Really thinking of starting to build my own "future estate pipe" collection, though im not sold on briar over cob.

I really like number 2, but as a clencher, the weight turns me off. the others aren't much better...

On looks alone though, number 2 gets my vote

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Clint having them in hand I think you can tell us more than just the pictures show, I've wanted a devil anse for a while but I cant put my finger on it but this one didn't quite do it for me

I voted for number 3, it may be a classic shape but it's done right, at least as best I can tell from a picture

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Clint here is another question or possible option, if we were interested as a group could number 3 be canted to be a cutty or devil anse if everything else about the pipe stayed the same (finish etc)

I know we gave the artist/carver free reign for submissions but billiard wasn't on our wish list

I really love my Botl pipe from Cody last year and I think we were spoiled a bit with his work, I think no3 is one I'd be happy to have & more so if it was one of our requested shapes

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I was all for number 2 at first but after seeing more details about it im pretty disappointed in it so im going with number 3 now. It looks like a solid pipe an alot of attention to detail.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
So, after a few PMs requesting a possible change in bowl angle for #3, I approached the maker letting him know that although there was already a slight angle to the bowl, a lot of our members still see it as a small billiard and would prefer more of dramatic angle like most anse pipes. He seemed happy to work with us on that! So, if that was a factor in your decision, there's some more food for thought.
  • If #3 ends up the winner, we will do a second poll on whether or not to change the cant of the bowl.

Also, if the winning pipe doesn't take more than 50% of the votes, we will do a "run-off" poll between the top two giving members who voted for the third place pipe a chance to weigh in on the top two. This way, no-one feels like their vote was wasted on a "third party."

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
The craftsmanship on #3 seems better than the other two from what I can tell in the pictures, and I seem to be in alignment with Whtwtrman79's thoughts of a more canted bowl to go along with our original shape suggestions. I dig deep sandblasting or rustication on pipes since I tend to be doing other things while smoking... one scratch or ding in the smooth finish would piss me off something fierce.

Lastly since someone mentioned stain choices above, the relative simplicity of #3 would seem to lend itself nicely to a contrasting stain finish.

Thanks for taking the time on this, Clint... you've put a ton of work in on the entire project.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Like others have said if we all can vote on the pipe, maybe see if we can get a different stain??? I'm a fan of the stain color on #2. So I know it's been mentioned before if we have to vote again I'm in. I'm just not a big fan of the stain. Which kind of turned me off from it. But I might have a change of heart.....as I prefer more the bent stem pipes. LOL.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
@cgraunke thanks for the detailed pictures and for running with this. After reading through the discussion here and looking at the pictures, I changed my vote from 2 to 3. 3 just looks like a really well made pipe. I know a billard isn't the most exciting shape, but the maker seems to have taken the time to do all the little things that make a difference. I'm very new to pipes and I'm sure I don't know who made any of the three of these, but, to me, if 1 and 2 didn't take the time to get the details right in the samples, how can we expect them to do so when production ramps up for the actual order? Maybe I'm being too harsh, but that's what swayed my vote.

That said, I'll probably end up buying one regardless of which design we choose!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
@cgraunke thanks for the detailed pictures and for running with this. After reading through the discussion here and looking at the pictures, I changed my vote from 2 to 3. 3 just looks like a really well made pipe. I know a billard isn't the most exciting shape, but the maker seems to have taken the time to do all the little things that make a difference. I'm very new to pipes and I'm sure I don't know who made any of the three of these, but, to me, if 1 and 2 didn't take the time to get the details right in the samples, how can we expect them to do so when production ramps up for the actual order? Maybe I'm being too harsh, but that's what swayed my vote.

That said, I'll probably end up buying one regardless of which design we choose!
You do have great points though also. I've been seriously thinking about changing my vote. It's not one I wanted to do, but seeing the comments from extremely seasoned pipers it might just come down to it and take it from them and their advice and input. Without any of them I'd probably be broke as ever and buying overpriced pipes and baccy that are probably not good. I don't want to call it "crap" because none of these pipes are that at all. But we can help the pipe makers become better pipe makers with our suggestions.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
^^^ Yeah. Nobody get the wrong idea, these three are all extremely talented artists. I'd be proud to own any of these pipes, and I do own other pipes from two of these makers already, but we're looking to find the cream of the crop within a fixed budget that everyone is happy with. Therein lies the challenge. Keep up the excellent discussion, gents!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know crap about wood working, drilling, or any of the technical stuff so I'm basing my thoughts on pretty much looks alone.

Pipe 1. I love the stubby tenon with the large canted bowl. I really like how the bowl is quite large in the middle and tapers at top and bottom. The inlay on the stem is very eye catching and makes the pipe pop. I'm also more a fan of smooth briar over rusticated/sandblasted.

Pipe 2. This one is a unique shape I like quite a bit and a very nice finish. I can't put my finger on it, but out of the three this is my least favorite.

Pipe 3. Love the canted bowl, though more drastic would be nice. The stem compliments the dark finish quite nicely. The sandblast is a bit of a bummer compared to smooth, but that's my only criticism and strictly personal taste.

All that said, my vote currently sits with Pipe 1.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
^^^ Yeah. Nobody get the wrong idea, these three are all extremely talented artists. I'd be proud to own any of these pipes, and I do own other pipes from two of these makers already, but we're looking to find the cream of the crop within a fixed budget that everyone is happy with. Therein lies the challenge. Keep up the excellent discussion, gents!
Regardless of who we pick, like I said in the post above yours, I hope they take in our suggestions to improve themselves in their pipe making capabilities and bring out their art of making custom, beautiful pipes.