What's new

2015 Tobacco Garden Video

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
It is very different from strain to strain of the time to get to smoke it. between 40 days to 10 years old before use
I ferment the tobacco 3 to 8 weeks again depending on the strain and outcome I am looking for

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Great video an beautiful garden, your pipe tobacco you made was excellent I could only imagine how your cigats turn out.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Well I hope to have 30 plus different strains this year to have more flavors to play with while blending this winter. My cigars are wonderful to me but make most people turn green, but then that's why I grow my own to have more control over what I enjoy and to learn more about our wonderful passion tobacco.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
This is awesome, as always. Glad to see you're still around and still doing it!

You should get linked up with @BrewinHooligan, he needs some more good leaf to roll!
I already have some Hog leaf! He was also so generous as to send a small perfecto mold along with it!! Moving today and tomorrow and after things are settled I plan to roll my ass off and use a chunk of it up. Very excited to play with some new blends.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I do not think the garden is that impressive but I do thank you for saying. All I did was plant the seed and watch it grow anyone can do this with a little practice. The real work and art is in curing, fermenting and processing the tobacco. If this wasn't hard enough I am growing many different strains this year that color cure at very different rates and times. To do this in one room and barn takes constant monitoring and a little luck. I learned a lot pile curing during the winter and this is the only thing saving me at the moment. I realize now that from 70 degrees winter to 90+ degrees Spring the leaves act very different. The tobacco leaves will what I call barn rot very quickly if I do not monitor and control the humidity levels. So far the first priming is color cured and dried and is now going into the fermentation chamber for the next month or so. The second priming is ready to be picked on Saturday morning.

It will not be to long now and I can start figuring out what blends I will put together for this fall and winter. I was thinking of a contest where I could list some tobaccos that I have and allow 10 or so people to make up their own blend and then have everyone involved judge the outcomes. I would put all of the tobacco blends together by the recipe and send them out to be judged. What do you all think of this idea? Just something different I was pondering. This can be done for pipe tobacco and or cigars.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I do not think the garden is that impressive but I do thank you for saying. All I did was plant the seed and watch it grow anyone can do this with a little practice. The real work and art is in curing, fermenting and processing the tobacco. If this wasn't hard enough I am growing many different strains this year that color cure at very different rates and times. To do this in one room and barn takes constant monitoring and a little luck. I learned a lot pile curing during the winter and this is the only thing saving me at the moment. I realize now that from 70 degrees winter to 90+ degrees Spring the leaves act very different. The tobacco leaves will what I call barn rot very quickly if I do not monitor and control the humidity levels. So far the first priming is color cured and dried and is now going into the fermentation chamber for the next month or so. The second priming is ready to be picked on Saturday morning.

It will not be to long now and I can start figuring out what blends I will put together for this fall and winter. I was thinking of a contest where I could list some tobaccos that I have and allow 10 or so people to make up their own blend and then have everyone involved judge the outcomes. I would put all of the tobacco blends together by the recipe and send them out to be judged. What do you all think of this idea? Just something different I was pondering. This can be done for pipe tobacco and or cigars.
I love this idea! Very new to blending myself, still trying to figure what I'm gonna roll when I get back to the table but it's half the fun

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
That sounds like a whole lotta awesome! If you aren't already growing mata fina I would definitely be interested in that. A collaboration with @HIM* would be very cool too, he was the one that got me started rolling and he knows his stuff really well. Now in me free time today I will be researching different varietals...

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you have some pipe tobacco blends you'd like to mix, I'll try some and send some $$ back your way. Heck, maybe you should open an etsy shop and we can buy it off of you!! That's even better!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HOG, don't sell yourself short on that tobacco garden. I for one think what you did is pretty amazing. Managing all those varietals and getting for the most part healthy plants is no easy task and your irrigation system is the bomb. Frankly, it makes me proud to be an American, LOL. My hats off to you!

I like seeing these home growing projects. I think it gives people a real appreciation for the tobacco growing end of the business.