What's new

2016: A great year for hip-hop

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
There's still 3 months left in the year and I'm already struggling to decide what my favorite albums of the year are.
Any of my fellow hip-hop heads as stoked about this year's drops as I am?

Chance's Coloring Book, Kevin Gates' Islah, YG's Still Brazy, Schoolboy's Blank Face, and Mac Miller's Divine Feminine... just for starters... were absolute bombshells IMO.

What are your top contenders for Album of the Year thus far? Any predictions for ones coming this fall/winter?

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
There's still 3 months left in the year and I'm already struggling to decide what my favorite albums of the year are.
Any of my fellow hip-hop heads as stoked about this year's drops as I am?

Chance's Coloring Book, Kevin Gates' Islah, YG's Still Brazy, Schoolboy's Blank Face, and Mac Miller's Divine Feminine... just for starters... were absolute bombshells IMO.

What are your top contenders for Album of the Year thus far? Any predictions for ones coming this fall/winter?
I agree thoroughly about Chance's and KG's albums - both great, easy to listen to from front to back without having to skip tracks.

Haven't spent enough time on Schoolboy's or Mac Miller's yet to really comment.

I thought YG's album was terrible, and does not even belong in the conversation with Chance and KG. His last album was so much better, I can still listen to that front to back. This new one felt like it was reaching really bad and like it completely got away from that hyped, in your face, hard punchline style that he has brought in the past.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I agree thoroughly about Chance's and KG's albums - both great, easy to listen to from front to back without having to skip tracks.

Haven't spent enough time on Schoolboy's or Mac Miller's yet to really comment.

I thought YG's album was terrible, and does not even belong in the conversation with Chance and KG. His last album was so much better, I can still listen to that front to back. This new one felt like it was reaching really bad and like it completely got away from that hyped, in your face, hard punchline style that he has brought in the past.
Oof, definitely spend time with Blank Face and Divine Feminine. As it stands, I think they'll be my #2 and #3 albums of the year - respectively.

Definitely need to disagree on YG's album though. I think he got back to the roots of west-coast rap while still mixing in his own Matter of Fact approach to it.

nc_6789

Nick
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Listening to Mac Millers album now will give feedback

Really into this, his lyricism is top notch

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Westside Gunn's FlyGod and Meyhem Lauren's Piatto D'oro. For people that like new rap that sounds like 90s rap.
I'm going to look into this because I honestly can't stand today's "Hip-Hop." Nothing beats the music that was coming out from '93-'95. Those are the golden years IMO. I've been listening to A LOT of Stretch & Bobbito shows recently, among others.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I'm going to look into this because I honestly can't stand today's "Hip-Hop." Nothing beats the music that was coming out from '93-'95. Those are the golden years IMO. I've been listening to A LOT of Stretch & Bobbito shows recently, among others.
I was thinking the same thing expect mid 80s.

Famous Smoke

Retailer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I should clarify: sounds like 90s NY gangsta rap. Their beat selection is so on point, but lyrically its no Souls of Mischief or Pharcyde or anything like that. Straight up rugged and gloomy baking soda stovetop music, designer fashion & murder kingpin lifestyle music that sounds/feels like you're watching a mob movie. I noticed several Sopranos and The Wire references in the lyrics. While I do listen to a lot of conscious hiphop too and am guilty of enjoying some of the southern mumble rappers, philly and NY gutter gangsta rap will always be my favorite. Dark Lo and Ar-AB out of philly are at the top of my list. If you're into that kind of stuff, give them a listen too.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
How about De La Soul "and the anonymous nobody"

Or Arrested Development "changing the narrative"

Or DJ Shadow "the mountain will fall"

Or Elzhi "lead poison" yeah that's my favorite.

I was really disappointed by the schoolboy q album. I loved his first one.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I think the real question we should be asking ourselves is whether or not KGates is about to get cloned while incarcerated, just like they did to Gucci.