What's new

2016 BOTL Pipe - General Shape Discussion & Poll (1 of 3)

What pipe shapes are you enjoying currently?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I've compiled a list of shape names and styling that I stole from descriptions of Savinelli, Peterson, and Nording, and I think it's a pretty comprehensive list.
Granted, any given pipe may fall in to multiple of these "categories." But, you can vote for as many selections as you'd like and you can change your votes as the discussions build.
Please post pictures of pipes you feel best represent some of the categories you are interested in, as well as reasoning behind your choices and why you think it would be a good pick for the group. The more discussion we have here, the more everyone's eyes might be opened to something they might not have thought about before.

As I can only have 10 items in a poll, I've split the list in to three polls. Please check out all three.
(POLL 2)(POLL 3)
If you want something added, please send me a PM. (but check out all three polls first)

After this round of polls are complete, I'll put the top ten overall in a final poll.
The final poll results will be a jumping off point for the carvers to start planning their submissions.
More on this as we progress...

Then, follow the 2016 BOTL Pipe thread for more information.

Last edited:

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I see no one else has posted pics yet so let me know if this is not the right place to do this, but I'll do one pipe pic for each of my votes in the 3 polls.

First up - The Canadian. I have been loving this shape, the extra long stem makes for a cool smoke, the straight is very easy to clean and they look great in the jaw! Would love to add another Canadian to the stable. Here is the one I have currently, it's a Stanwell and a great smoker. If there are guys that haven't tried a Canadian before you should definitely give them a go!

Whilst I'd love to add a smooth to the stable (cos I have a sand blast already) I get that it may be a big ask for a mass group buy. Please let me know what you think of this shape, for or against and let's get some discussion, if not debate going over this years shape! Feel free to completely destroy my suggestion if you don't like it! I was thinking something like this would be amazing this year, but maybe I'm a little overly full of hope haha, chime in if you can:

Last edited:

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
@The Munt
Exactly the kind of dialog I'm looking for.
Thanks, Dan!
No worries mate, I'm keen to hear some for and against arguments as I think I could learn a thing or two from other members regardless of what the final shape is that might help steer my next few purchases.

Also it may be a coincidence but it appears to have positively affected the Canadian votes!

So if anyone is really keen on a shape You should tell the forum why and I'm confident it will only help your cause!

Iholmes

I-hole
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Really digging that canadian shape your talking about Dan @The Munt , I'm thinking a bulldog shape would be a nice addition to the previous years as well. Something just a bit different you know?
I thought someone had mentioned something about an army mount and I think it would look great on a rusticated RHODESIAN... IMO.

Edited for lack of pipe shape knowledge

Last edited:

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Really digging that canadian shape your talking about Dan @The Munt , I'm thinking a bulldog shape would be a nice addition to the previous years as well. Something just a bit different you know?
I thought someone had mentioned something about an army mount and I think it would look great on a rusticated bulldog IMO.

I don't know about a bulldog mate, that Rhodesian you just posted looks pretty dam nice to me :smuggrin:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
See, I need guys like you to teach me a thing or two lol
Different people have different ideas on the distinctions between Bulldog & Rhodesian, but what I learned from @Grrrrr609 (and is pretty widely accepted) is that a Rhodesian has a cylindrical shank and a Bulldog has a diamond.
I remember it as Rhode=ROUND, Bulldog=BLOCK (y)

Iholmes

I-hole
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I actually just went and read that same thing when Dan called me out. I guess I prefer the "round"esian look better that the diamond shank. But now I'm curious about a square shank or a diamond twist..... I'm going to need to just order a block of wood and take out my hand tools lol.

What made me think of that pipe above is someone mentioning an army mount (hoping I at least for that part right) which I think looks outstanding on the Rhodesian

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I actually just went and read that same thing when Dan called me out. I guess I prefer the "round"esian look better that the diamond shank. But now I'm curious about a square shank or a diamond twist..... I'm going to need to just order a block of wood and take out my hand tools lol.

What made me think of that pipe above is someone mentioning an army mount (hoping I at least for that part right) which I think looks outstanding on the Rhodesian
It's about the only pipe shape difference I am aware of Holmes, so I couldn't resist, lol it's a beautiful pipe to be sure! Love the army mount too, thanks for posting.

Just curious @cgraunke are there limitations in the field of what we want, for example, everyone might love a spigot or army mount, but is it unrealistic to suggest certain things?
For example I'd imagine 30 odd smooth canadians would be a big ask, given Briar's tendency to be flawed.

I guess at the end of the day, the makers will only put forward something they would be prepared to mass produce so shoot for the stars and be happy when we reach the clouds?
Just curious as I'm feeling a little empathy for the makers regarding this.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
are there limitations in the field of what we want, for example, everyone might love a spigot or army mount, but is it unrealistic to suggest certain things?
For example I'd imagine 30 odd smooth canadians would be a big ask, given Briar's tendency to be flawed.
The final poll results will be a jumping off point for the carvers to start planning their submissions.
It will be up to the individual carver to put a submission forth that they are comfortable making a production run of, within the set budget.
This is just to get a feel for what the group is interested in, specifically with regards to shape.

Last edited:

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
It will be up to the individual carver do put a submission forth that they are comfortable making a production run of, within the set budget.
This is just to get a feel for what the group is interested in, specifically with regards to shape.
Right on, so there is still an element of artistic freedom for the makers, we just give them a nudge! I like it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought someone had mentioned something about an army mount and I think it would look great on a rusticated RHODESIAN... IMO.

Edited for lack of pipe shape knowledge
This one for me please!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk