2017 BOTL Pipe - Shape Discussion & Poll

Time to vote for the shape/maker of the 2017 BOTL pipe

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Something just looks weird about #2. The shape doesn't seem right. Not sure I can explain how though. The stamping seems to be in a strange place as well. I'd expect to see it on the underside of the stem shank, not the underside of the front face.
The stain and, I assume sandblasting, isn't right on #1. The blasting doesn't look deep enough and the stain doesn't seem dark enough. It looks translucent, like some of the briar beneath is showing through. Is it a multi layer stain and I'm just seeing a different color show thru? Almost looks greenish. I have a feeling it looks better in person though. Is that a crack in the stem mortise?
My current preference is still for #1. The shape of #2 just seems off to me. Maybe a little clunky.
We can request a different stamp location on either for the production run.

I think that multi-layer stain look on #1 is intentional, kind of a yellow/green tinge giving an almost weathered look.

That said, colors on both are open for change.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Maybe just the way it came across in the pictures. Like I mentioned, I suspect it looks much nicer in person - I generally like the two color staining.

Also, I was being super critical/picky on my critique in the hopes of bringing out more thoughts from the collective.

I do still like the shape of the black one much more than the other. Either way, looking forward to the outcome.

One last thought, I also like a more standard length pipe over a shorter one. I have several shorter ones already and while I do enjoy and smoke them regularly, sometimes the shorter steamed pipes seem to smoke a little hotter to me.

Thanks for all the work on this Clint, it is very well appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
PIPE #1

PIPE #2
I like how traditional Pipe 1 looks and will feel while smoking. Not a huge fan of the rustication or color of it though.

Pipe 2 looks like it's trying too hard. That green band reminds me of pond scum, the overall shape is clunky, and I don't like pipes that have 3 different colors.

Just a thought: not sure how hard this would be, but is it possible to make the shape of pipe 1 with the bowl finish of pipe 2? Heck, the stem from pipe 2 might even look good on this hybrid idea. But, definitely no green bands though.

EDIT: I know we all end up settling on a design and buy the pipe but does the maker stamp "BOTL 2017" or something into it? Also, is there a deposit up front? Is there a target date that we are working towards for orders so we ensure this happens in 2017?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Neither are correctly transitioned in the makers application. We'd be better off contacting Briar Works for a properly executed club pipe at this point. If you all want a Rhodesian- here is one for 130$. They are an American factory and finish by hand. I can't and won't pay 225$ for those.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Briarworks/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=254794
Bravo. And that is a gorgeous pipe. I've looked at those.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Neither are correctly transitioned in the makers application. We'd be better off contacting Briar Works for a properly executed club pipe at this point. If you all want a Rhodesian- here is one for 130$. They are an American factory and finish by hand. I can't and won't pay 225$ for those.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Briarworks/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=254794
Damn, that's really nice. I'd like that even more if the shank and stem was a little bit thinner though for some reason the way it is in the pictures just doesn't do it for me. Other than that it would be a huge win in my book.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Woo hoo, I didn't miss this poll!!
I like #2 as I have also like a curved pipe. That being said the stem color just seems a bit wrong. I think if it was a solid it might look better. Maybe a dark brown or black?

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Good thought. Not too shabby looking either.

My local club did one of those. Well moonshine pipes anyway. Didn't get one because I couldn't stand what they picked, but I know they were delivered very quickly and pricing came in under the listed price. For what it's worth.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Agreed on all points. I too like Briarworks C111 shape, though it would be even better with a saddle stem IMO.