What's new

.40 Recommendations?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Its been mentioned on this thread, but I'll have to recommend the Springfield XD(m). Its a great polymer striker-fired pistol IMO. It should fit comfortable in your budget as well.

If you can find one on sale or used, or don't mind stretching your budget, the H&K P2000 fixes a lot of the ergonomics issues of the USPc. Plus, it doesn't use the proprietary rail size that the USPc does if you ever plan on mounting a light/laser.

Regards,
Randy
Agreed. Own the 9mm XD and will be buying the .45 soon. Favorite of all m guns imo

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For the money, GLOCK. Depending on the size of your hands, Glock 22 or 23. And again, GLOCK is the best bang for your buck. BTW There are some trade-in GLOCKS (22/23) going for 389. Either GT or CDNN.

And again, GLOCK is firearm of choice!:tazerblas:ccowboy:

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
my next will be the Glock...

I want the .45 though next, have a .40 now and also want a snubnose for the wife...

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I just picked up a Springfield XD .45 ACP and I love it! I know this doesn't pertain to the .40 question, but I just wanted to talk about my new gun:tazerblas
I had a Springfield XDM 40 that was an excellent handgun, but I sold it...wish I had it back.
Agreed. Own the 9mm XD and will be buying the .45 soon. Favorite of all m guns imo
I'm with these guys. Springfield XD .40. I shot it side by side with the HK and the Springfield won.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
A lot of glock fans here... not a fan. Feels like a lego in my hands. I'll throw in a vote for a USP of any caliber. Shoots smooth and true to where you aim. Barrel life is also incredible on them since they tote a hexagonal rifling on it. Never had any sort of failure with all of my experience with these firearms

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know, i fired the USP and it didn't feel that great for the price. i think it was decent but nothing compared to the XD40... one of the best guns i've ever fired.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm guessing for the price he wanted to experience Nirvana while shooting it. :stretchgr

Don't take that wrong, I love me some H&K's but the price is hard to justify if you're not using it all the time. The key to me is, does the pistol go bang regardless of how often I shoot it and the conditions I leave it in. (I take meticulous care of my weapons...so don't jump me...)

One exception...I have a Hi-point 9mm that I leave in my garage where the humidity is in constant flux. It's there because when working on my car, motorcycle or doing things outside I don't have my regular 9mm on me. The Hi-point is cheap and handles the conditions well but always goes bang. I fire a few mags through it a year and clean it once a year and leave a thick coat of oil on it. It's there in case I need something in a hurry.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
To each their own, but could you elaborate what you mean by "Didn't feel that great for the price"? as in grip, recoil, accuracy, reliability?
He might be referring to the USP full-size. Those things require big hands IMO. Some of the controls might be hard to reach with shorter digits.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each their own, but could you elaborate what you mean by "Didn't feel that great for the price"? as in grip, recoil, accuracy, reliability?
It didn't feel very ergonomic. It was a great pistol, no doubt. but for almost $1500 I expected way more. I guess before I continue I better say that it was a rental gun at a range.

You can get several pistols for much cheaper that feel better when firing (recoil), and when being held (ergonomics). I still like it, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

That being said the accuracy was pretty damn good. Although with pistols, I've never fired further away than maybe 25 meters. I've yet to see a difference with accuarcy except when fired rapidly (which you're not supposed to do at a range).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing for the price he wanted to experience Nirvana while shooting it. :stretchgr

Don't take that wrong, I love me some H&K's but the price is hard to justify if you're not using it all the time. The key to me is, does the pistol go bang regardless of how often I shoot it and the conditions I leave it in. (I take meticulous care of my weapons...so don't jump me...)

One exception...I have a Hi-point 9mm that I leave in my garage where the humidity is in constant flux. It's there because when working on my car, motorcycle or doing things outside I don't have my regular 9mm on me. The Hi-point is cheap and handles the conditions well but always goes bang. I fire a few mags through it a year and clean it once a year and leave a thick coat of oil on it. It's there in case I need something in a hurry.
that's pretty much it. if i'm shooting a low price taurus, i don't expect a perfect gun. but H&K has a pretty high-end reputation, and after firing the G36 and MP5 (german military) which were both glorious, I just expected that kind of quality from all their weapons.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Glock 22 trade in at local Cabela's went for $379. Also included three mags and night sights. Went back to buy one and all sold out. 15 rounds, finger groove on grip and night sights. Can't beat the price or gun!

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Perhaps you guys were looking at a MK23. The most expensive I have seen a USP was $900 NIB, never seen one in the $1500 range. I got one for a friend for $435 total. The typical non police trade in can be had for $650, don't get me wrong that's still a chunk of change, but doable. I loved my USP so much I opted to get a HK p30, talk about ergonomic!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Seeing as how this new gun would be for self defense I would suggest a S&W .4006 Tactical... Not the lightest of guns however very manageable and extremely accurate. Also, fits the bill around that price range and caliber. Loads of options for this gun, perfect for a home defense weapon to have around.

Also I would look at 1911's... Little bit pricier however, well worth the extra money. One that really surprised me was the remmington M-9. You can pick one up new for $740

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have my pocket carry situation squared away, I have been thinking about something bigger for home defense and more enjoyable range time than mouseguns provide. I have been looking at .40's in particular and wondered what you guys would recommend in the $400-500 range. TIA.
In that range depending on where you shop you could get a glock, a springfield, a smith and wesson M&P or maybe a sig(?). If it were ME, I'd get a springfield (because I love my 9mm) or and Smith and Wesson. I would get the glock if it fit my hand well and I like the angle of the muzzle. I'm a springfield and S& W guy myself.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I hate to say this cause I'm a glock lover but I picked up a Springfield XD40 and I like it better than my glocks its a great weapon!
I love my XD .45 great gun. I am not a fan of Glock as it has none of the weight that the true gun has.