What's new

$400 to spend on scotch what would you buy

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
Gentlemen,

I saw an ad for JW Blue King George V for 356 this morning. I did a little research into the
MSRP and this apparently goes for up to $600 if retailers are marking it up a bit. That got
me to thinking. I've found with that there are a number of good bourbons in the $30 - $50
range that you can get on a regular basis. What if I found some very good scotches
and bought 3-5 bottles with my budget vs. spending upwards of $400
on one bottle!

If you guys could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Ardbeg corry vreckan is probably my favorite right now. Around 100 a bottle. They have a couple other lines I'd like to try. Laphroaig is good too. For the cheaper range bowmore is good as well as buffalo trace

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
JW Blue is boring IMHO. I know there are guys who like it, but I find it really overly smooth and boring.

I'd buy several bottles of JW Green.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I have a bottle of Glenlivet 16 Nadurra that I personally find to be AMAZING. I'd buy a few bottles of that.
Very bright scotch, like biting into a really good green apple.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
So ive had the king george several times and it was purchased for 450. I can easily tell you its NOT worth that price. Is it better then johnnie blue, yes, but not that much better, especially for a blend).

So for that price range I would get the following:

Glenmorangie Signet (I buy this by the case (4) its so damn good)
Balvenie 21
Glenlivet Nadurra 1991 Triumph (the one mentioned above is the 16 regular edition which is also very good, but the 1991 triumph is quite special).

So 180 + 160 + 90 - 430.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I have a bottle of Glenlivet 16 Nadurra that I personally find to be AMAZING. I'd buy a few bottles of that.
Very bright scotch, like biting into a really good green apple.
I concur. Tastes like spiked apple juice. If your looking for more bite, try the triumph edition

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All things being equal...at least when it comes to our own tastes it's difficult at best to try and gauge what another might find really good. Much like cigars and wine spirits tend to be a matter of taste and beginning the search is to find what your palate is about...what tastes your are drawn to. Researching is the first step towards any kind of spirit and it should never be about price because pricing is a very convoluted process where people think the higher the price the better the product. Personal taste is what we should follow....that means experimenting with different ones and those sampler bottles of bourbon, scotch, whiskey, etc. is probably one of the better ways to approach this w/o buying a whole bottle and then hating it. Investment is a couple of bucks in the smaller bottles...buy about $20 worth and just sit back and every other evening try them out. If there are no smaller bottles to find of the ones you would love to try...go as far as your nearest decent bar and order a drink and see how you like it.

The spirits I love I buy at those times when they are on sale or when I travel to certain islands where they are 50% off sticker...then I buy bottles of it and I'm set for a few years.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So ive had the king george several times and it was purchased for 450. I can easily tell you its NOT worth that price. Is it better then johnnie blue, yes, but not that much better, especially for a blend).

So for that price range I would get the following:

Glenmorangie Signet (I buy this by the case (4) its so damn good)
Balvenie 21
Glenlivet Nadurra 1991 Triumph (the one mentioned above is the 16 regular edition which is also very good, but the 1991 triumph is quite special).

So 180 + 160 + 90 - 430.
This. I don't think I have had a Glenmorangie or Balvenie (Caribbean Cask being an exception) that I have not really enjoyed. Glenlivet is just smooth.

If you do like more of peat, smokey flavor...go Lagavulin as someone else recommended.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do a sampling of Balvenie until you run out of money. 12, 14, and 15 are great and you should still have $200+ leftover to buy more.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Gentlemen,

I saw an ad for JW Blue King George V for 356 this morning. I did a little research into the
MSRP and this apparently goes for up to $600 if retailers are marking it up a bit. That got
me to thinking. I've found with that there are a number of good bourbons in the $30 - $50
range that you can get on a regular basis. What if I found some very good scotches
and bought 3-5 bottles with my budget vs. spending upwards of $400
on one bottle!

If you guys could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!
What scotches have you tried and liked/disliked?

There are huge differences in profile across what we colloquially call "scotch" and/or "single malt" and it'd be a big help to know where you stand.

On the other hand, if you're just looking to get into scotches, can address that just as ably.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Sample glenmorangie line!

I have been dying to try that Ealanta since it has such good reviews. What are the thoughts on the Signet? One of my go to scotches is the Nectar D'or...
Signet is by far my favorite scotch. the chocolate malt and the progression of the tastes you get as it evaporates is magical. I highly recommend it!

My next in the line is the artein and then the sonnalta PX

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I'd go for some of the higher priced Balvenie selections.
I picked up a bottle of Tun 1401 Batch 9 and it is the best scotch I have ever had! Got it for $199 plus tax at Total Wine!
Good deal, i havent found any of the TUN batches. I did find the single barrel which i picked up for less than 100 bucks.
Single Barrel 15yo is awesome. I can't get enough of it. May need to buy another bottle so I don't keep rationing mine.