What's new

$4000 Cuban budget... what do you buy in Havana?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Read through the link, thanks for posting it. Does it make sense to buy the CUC in another currency? Say buy Canadian $ with US $ and then CUCs with Canadian? Seams like quite a penalty, 10% If you have to pay two 3% exchange rates it's still cheaper then the 13% you pay US to CUC?

Or is that some sort of currency manipulation crime?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through the link, thanks for posting it. Does it make sense to buy the CUC in another currency? Say buy Canadian $ with US $ and then CUCs with Canadian? Seams like quite a penalty, 10% If you have to pay two 3% exchange rates it's still cheaper then the 13% you pay US to CUC?

Or is that some sort of currency manipulation crime?

I brought 2k worth of euros last time. The time between when I got them and was there, the euro went up vs the dollar and I nearly broke even in CUC where I would have lost about 300 changing dollars.

Even paying 1.25 dollars to 1 euro right now and getting 1.15 transferring to CUC you still come out a little ahead vs just transfering dollars.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would think Canadian $ are more stable ( and available) to the US $ then the EURO. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just a thought. Good luck with your plans. Going to Canada next summer and had planned on visiting Cuba the next but I guess I shouldn't make long term plans including Cuba right now

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. Euros are pretty easy to get here at most major banks. Wells Fargo seemed to have the best exchange rates. For sure, Canadian dollars are less volatile.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I am getting to go before you buy out everything! I am supposed to go next month, my budget isnt as high but still taking $2000 with me to pick up what I can. Our airbnb host is helping us with the exchange, I did the math on my banks conversion and on my $2000 exchange to euro then to CUC would save me a total of $40. With the host he is charging us 9% on the exchange, but we lucked out and got a dual resident who is able to travel and can use the currency elsewhere.

One worthwhile thing to mention about the custom rolls is that the cuban govt only allows you to take 20 custom rolls out of the country per person, now it may be an option to slip a little something to the customs agent at the cuban airport but I am unsure.

I will be picking up a wide array of smokes, I like to many to only pick a 2-3 lines to bring back!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. I've been watching that. Worst case I'm out about $150 for the house we are staying at. I used points for the flight through SW and can cancel or change it.

Hoping like most items with the government it takes a while before they finalize.
The rules of going to cuba? The rules of what you can bring back? Or both?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I am getting to go before you buy out everything! I am supposed to go next month, my budget isnt as high but still taking $2000 with me to pick up what I can. Our airbnb host is helping us with the exchange, I did the math on my banks conversion and on my $2000 exchange to euro then to CUC would save me a total of $40. With the host he is charging us 9% on the exchange, but we lucked out and got a dual resident who is able to travel and can use the currency elsewhere.

One worthwhile thing to mention about the custom rolls is that the cuban govt only allows you to take 20 custom rolls out of the country per person, now it may be an option to slip a little something to the customs agent at the cuban airport but I am unsure.

I will be picking up a wide array of smokes, I like to many to only pick a 2-3 lines to bring back!
Are you flying direct? I may have to adjust my flight arrangements and go through Cancun but I'm not sure the GF will be on board for the extra travel time.

I don't think I would have the testicular fortitude to bribe a Cuban customs agent. Customs didn't give us much of a hassle but the security checkpoint/baggage check in at Santa Clara on the flight back was all over us but didn't seem to care about the 100+ cigars, they cared more about fingernail clippers and bic lighters.

The Partagas festival is the week before my scheduled flight and I'm not sure how the stock will look when I'm down there, if I'm down there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the good news is if you already made one trip arrangement such as booking a place or flight then you are still allowed to take your trip. So you will be able to go no matter what.

The interesting part will be if they regulate what they allow us to bring back, but from the research I did of the new regulations it doesnt seem like rum or tobacco will be effected. Only catch is you are not able to buy from a Govt source such as LCDH and we all know that is where you want to buy.

All in all I think both of us are good @Nickg0909 but we will have to see about the restrictions of the goods. I think it wont effect us, fingers crossed. I booked my flight through Delta and have a layover in ATL then to HAV

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Well the good news is if you already made one trip arrangement such as booking a place or flight then you are still allowed to take your trip. So you will be able to go no matter what.

The interesting part will be if they regulate what they allow us to bring back, but from the research I did of the new regulations it doesnt seem like rum or tobacco will be effected. Only catch is you are not able to buy from a Govt source such as LCDH and we all know that is where you want to buy.

All in all I think both of us are good @Nickg0909 but we will have to see about the restrictions of the goods. I think it wont effect us, fingers crossed. I booked my flight through Delta and have a layover in ATL then to HAV
There was a 90 day grace period to execute trips under the old Obama rules.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All in all I think both of us are good @Nickg0909 but we will have to see about the restrictions of the goods. I think it wont effect us, fingers crossed.
My understanding is that only applies if you booked before June and the POTUS announcement. We went in July and would have been fine bc we booked in May but I think if you started arrangements after the announcement, you may be S.O.L. Rum and tobacco seemed like they would not be included in the changes from what I've read as well but who knows. It's a bit of a gamble either way.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
My understanding is that only applies if you booked before June and the POTUS announcement. We went in July and would have been fine bc we booked in May but I think if you started arrangements after the announcement, you may be S.O.L. Rum and tobacco seemed like they would not be included in the changes from what I've read as well but who knows. It's a bit of a gamble either way.
Indeed. Hope you guys get to go tho, and post a ton of pics.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that on the people to people travel requirement, but we are going under the support of the cuban people category. So we have a few more restrictions on what we have to do, we changed a lot of our itinerary to involve helping with post hurricane cleanup and aid. We were supposed to fly down there the same weekend Irma came through but had to re-schedule since the flights got canceled. What we just found out though is that a lot of Havana got affected by the flood waters, apparently it flooded all the way into central Havana. So it is a pretty cool opportunity to help out some needing people and also get to smoke some cigars and drink some rum with some new friends.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that on the people to people travel requirement, but we are going under the support of the cuban people category. So we have a few more restrictions on what we have to do, we changed a lot of our itinerary to involve helping with post hurricane cleanup and aid. We were supposed to fly down there the same weekend Irma came through but had to re-schedule since the flights got canceled. What we just found out though is that a lot of Havana got affected by the flood waters, apparently it flooded all the way into central Havana. So it is a pretty cool opportunity to help out some needing people and also get to smoke some cigars and drink some rum with some new friends.
Ya, we choose support for the Cuban people this time around too. That's suppose to require basically a 24/7 itinerary with no free time, etc, etc. I'd like to be able to set something up to somewhat comply with the guidelines of the travel policy just in case.
I'm bringing a suitcase full of needed items to help out where I can, then fill it up with sticks and rum on the way back.

We stayed in Cayo Coco for half the trip and that place was just destroyed from the pictures I've seen and the airport is rubble. Sad.

Found this the other day... We may be able to squeak by.

Federal agencies, including the Treasury Department and the Department of Agriculture, were expected to begin work on the new regulations 30 days after Trump’s announcement and release them no earlier than December, according to Todd Haymore, Virginia’s secretary of commerce and trade, and Basil Gooden, the state’s secretary of agriculture and forestry.
http://www.virginiabusiness.com/news/article/watching-and-waiting

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This is a pretty accurate price guide down in Cuba.

http://yulcigars.blogspot.com/2016/12/cigar-price-list-in-cuba_7.html?m=1

Online markups range from 30-100%+ from the vendors I've purchased through. And I'm less than 100% confident about the authenticity of some of my orders. You can easily search out to see which vendors have positive ratings and which are bogus.

I've gotten a few boxes from a legit source who brings them back from Cuba but I did the math and it's cheaper for me to actually make the trip myself and bring them back.
Interesting read. I think for a "bulk" purchases your right. Youll definatly be out on top providing you dont get everything hauled away by customs. Although for comparison I just paid 186 usd for a box of boli rc from a reputable vendor. Its to bad all the rules are up in the air.

Technically I can go when I want without issue as i carry two passports but the wife wouldnt be to happy on me taking an anniversary trip myself. Anyway, back on topic. Id load up on bolis, partagas and a few boxes of cohiba espys

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read. I think for a "bulk" purchases your right. Youll definatly be out on top providing you dont get everything hauled away by customs. Although for comparison I just paid 186 usd for a box of boli rc from a reputable vendor. Its to bad all the rules are up in the air.

Technically I can go when I want without issue as i carry two passports but the wife wouldnt be to happy on me taking an anniversary trip myself. Anyway, back on topic. Id load up on bolis, partagas and a few boxes of cohiba espys

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I've tried a few vendors and I'm not so sure about them. Don't get me wrong they aren't some of the horrible online sites that sell obvious fakes with behikes on sale for 350... but as they say if there's any doubt there's no doubt. I know it's a touchy subject talking about "sources" but I'm always on the lookout for vendors who have authentic goods at reasonable prices.

All the sticks you mentioned are on my list for sure.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a value standpoint it wouldnt make much sense to go to cuba just for purchasing cigars. After the flight and lodging I will end up spending much more than it would cost to order them. The main draw for me is to experience the cuban culture and to support the cuban people. A nice by product of the trip will be the cigars. I have ordered a few times in the past and had some good experiences, I have also visited a few LCDH's and bought from them as well. The difference in the sticks are not drastic, but there is just something about the sticks I have been able to pick up from a LCDH that are slightly better IMHO. I think it has to do partly with the experience of handling the stick and picking it out myself, but also how the cigars are kept and avoiding the shipping times out of the humidor. In the long run if you let the online orders rest you end up with the same stick, but for smoking ROTT you just cant beat walking into a LCDH and grabbing a smoke. I tend to also think that the LCDH quality is slightly better than other vendors in terms of the cigars.