What's new

5L Mini Barrel Project

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
My brother got me this 5L mini barrel for my birthday earlier this week. Got it sealed up and going to put this JW Dant in later today. Wanted something cheap and young but not 80 or 90 proof. From recommendations I decided against any new make or un-aged whiskey for the first run. I may go that route for the second batch after the first batch takes out some of the oak. Will check on it every two weeks or so.151037151038

Rating - 92.9%
20   1   0
Very nice. I almost got one at a trade show a while back to run my mead through. Might still get one, I kinda stopped brewing until I get a little better workspace.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Nice looking barre. This weekend I’m going to keg a saison that’s been sitting in a 25 gallon whiskey barrel souring for the past 12 months. Putting in a Braggot as soon as the Saison comes out.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Checked the level today and decided to top it back off. It took 150ml to top it back off. Also realized that I had 450ml left in the bottle and should have only had about 250ml left if it took the whole 5L so it’s about 4.8L. Took a little sample of what was in there before topping off. Not much change but seemed a little brighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Been having a problem with a leaky spigot. Got a replacement and emptied and swapped it out last night. Decided to top it off again as I have lost 3-4 ounces from the leak. I tasted again last Friday at the 2 week mark and definitely noticed some change. A little more oak, caramel and baked apple.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Try Switching it from the refrigerator/freezer and the counter. The heat fluctuations will help.
I will be moving between the basement that stays about 72 and my upstairs bedroom closet which gets into the low 80s by the afternoon. I should be able to do that now with the new spigot. Any increase in temp before which causes an increase in pressure in the barrel would start forcing liquor out the leaky spigot. I don’t think I want to do fridge or freezer as they tend to be dry and will already be losing a lot to angels share in this small barrel.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Looks like your project is coming along! We had issues with leakage around the ends of one of our barrels even after soaking it for a week. That has since stopped. We’re pretty good about filling the same day as we take out sours out. Angels share is about five gallons, but this could be that the barrels are in a garage in central Texas that gets up in the 90s and down to 50s in “winter”.

Pix from the last empty/refill

14 month sour saison out.....

Braggot fill all the way to the bunghole...won’t see this beer for another year.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I sure hope you guys get some great whiskey out of these projects because it sure seems like a lot of work and care. Got to believe they would replace the mini keg with a crack like that, across a stave and not just between staves.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I sure hope you guys get some great whiskey out of these projects because it sure seems like a lot of work and care. Got to believe they would replace the mini keg with a crack like that, across a stave and not just between staves.
It does take some work. If it develops a leak I will pursue that.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Forgot to mention that the leather wrapped bung that came with it would weep in a warmer location. I think the leather was acting like a wick. Got a couple silicone stoppers at someone’s recommendation. No more weeping. Now I can rotate to the sides a bit to keep the top staves wet and sealed up good without having to worry about turning too far and leaking.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Tasted at 6 weeks last night. It’s developed a little smokiness to it both in the nose and palate along with a little more sweetness. It’s starting to remind me of how young craft bourbons taste. Not overly so yet so gonna keep going since I’m hoping to try and get some of those stronger initial flavors like that out on this first batch.