What's new

A beginner's journey...

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Seems the Don Tomas has been reblended by the famed estelo padron! don8, are you going to try the maduro version as well?

Rating - 100%
37   0   0

Camacho SLR Maduro Perfecto #1

Size: 4.5 x 50 Perfecto

Wrapper: Maduro

Smoke time: 30 minutes

Pre-light thoughts: This is the very first perfecto I have ever smoked and I have to admit, I am going into it with some preconceived negative notions. Just about every review I have seen or read about this particular style/size of cigar says that it's, well, kind of annoying. It's just a "neat" shape, which adds absolutely nothing to the flavours or experience of smoking the cigar, and if anything hinder it. The cigars are so small to begin with that once you cut the cap off, you're already down to a mere 4 inches or less.

That being said, the cigar is beautiful. It's got a great hand-rolled look - where it's a perfect roll, but the small "imperfections" make it look homey.

The smell is divine. A potent, dark tobacco smell with some chocolate right in there with it.

A pre-light draw gives rich flavours of sweet, candy-like tobacco.

First third: 10 minutes in and I'm about a third down. Already, I don't like this perfecto shape. Maybe it's just this particular cigar, but here's my experience:

The cigar is triple-capped. I cut just the first cap off, and the other two fell off, bringing some of the wrapper with them.

It's not enough to ruin the cigar, and it's not falling apart in my mouth or anything, but jeez...talk about shoddy construction.

The flavours are very, very rich. Chocolate and coffee take the forefront, which I'm definitely not complaining about. I could see this being a cigar that would take the place of dessert after a meal.

No complaints about the flavour or draw - it's just the physical construction of the thing which is seriously lacking.

Second third: This is shaping up to be quite a powerful cigar. I've got my glass of ice water here with me and am taking a sip every draw or two, but man, already getting a little bit light-headed after just 20 minutes.

The flavours have not really changed, but since the cigar is so darn small, the smoke is already starting to really heat up. I imagine I'll get another 10 or 15 minutes out of this.

Final third: 30 minutes in, I've got a little bit less than an inch left as a nub and I'm going to be calling it quits soon. Probably just one or two more draws.

It's a delicious stick, don't get me wrong. TONS of rich smoke, the draw is nearly effortless. And it's got a power kick to it.

Ending thoughts: This was a beautiful tasting cigar, I just wish that it had been constructed a little better. Like I said at the beginning, it's a triple-cap, but snipping just the first cap off caused the rest to come with it, which is disappointing.

I can also now say that yes, if you're starting to feel the effects of nicotine sickness, something very sugary will help it subside. I came inside and after about 5 minutes I started to feel a little woozy, so I downed a can of Sprite and it worked like a charm. That was about 15 minutes ago now and I feel fine - in fact, I'm a little hungry!

Overall, it was a good stick. It really was. I'd love to get a couple in a different size and shape, though, because I really was not a fan of my first perfecto experience.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I'll preface this by saying I am very proud to have officially smoked my first full-strength cigar without feeling any ill effects afterwards.

It's true - smoking on a full stomach really helps a lot.

Capoeira Professor

Size: 5 x 50 Robusto

Wrapper: Maduro

Smoke time: 1 hour

Pre-light thoughts: This is the very first cigar I purchased online. Well, actually if you want to get technical, it's the second - I purchased this on top of the box of Oliva Serie G I shared with my brother. But it was part of the very first online order I ever made!

Aside from the rather silly wrapper (a break-dancer for your symbol? Really?) The cigar is beautiful. A toothy maduro wrapper surrounds a tightly packed stick which smells of chocolate and sweet tobacco - you know, come to think of it, just about every maduro I've had has smelled like this.

But yes, it's a fine looking cigar. A pre-light draw evokes flavours of very rich tobacco.

First third: This thing is burning absolutely RAZOR sharp. Not a single dip or valley, no tunneling - it's like the poster child for the perfect burn.

The flavours are of very, very strong coffee and burnt toast. I know that second one may not sound overly appealing to some, but it's quite pleasant.

This reminds me of the few times I've made coffee with true, rich Ehtiopian beans - every flavour is dark, rich and delicious.

Smoke production is on the light side, but the flavour is very strong.

Second third: The flavours haven't so much changed as added another layer of smooth chocolate. Imagine topping a breakfast of coffee and toast with your favorite dark chocolate treat - that's this cigar.

Burn continues to be pristine, and smoke production has picked up a bit but is still nowhere near a creamy, rich, chewy texture.

Final third: The flavours have not morphed any more since the addition of the chocolate, but I am sad to say that there are some burn issues occurring now.

With about an inch and a half left in the cigar, the ash is starting to flower and the wrapper is slowly cracking and peeling away as I take each draw.

It's not ruining the flavour or anything, but it's a little messy. I have small pieces of the wrapper dropping every couple of draws.

Ending thoughts: For such an incredibly cheap stick, I really enjoyed this. I got a sampler pack of 10 Capoeiras (2 of each different size) for something like 30 bucks. The flavours are consistently dark throughout, and while I personally would have preferred a little more smoke output, it was still very pleasant.

Ending burn issues not withstanding, this was a nice smoke. I'd recommend it (but only if you could get a good deal on it - I see a bundle of 20 is now over $100, and I'd say it is NOT worth that).

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I just ordered CI's "Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels" sampler...

CI’s Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels Sampler includes:
2 - 5 Vegas Triple-A (5" x 56)
2 - Diesel Unholy Cocktail (torpedo) (5" x 56)
2 - La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte Toro (6.5" x 50)
2 - Man O’ War Ruination Robusto #1 (5.5" x 54)
2 - Man O’ War Virtue Toro (6" x 50)
1 - 5 Vegas Gold Robusto (5" x 50)
1 - Graycliff ’G2’ Pirate Torpedo (6" x 52)
1 - Gurkha’s Park Avenue Churchill (7" x 48)
1 - Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Toro Maduro (6" x 52)
1 - Nica Libre Exclusivo (5.5" x 50)
1 - Oliva Serie ’G’ Toro (6" x 50)
1 - Padilla Achilles Torpedo (6" x 54)
1 - Rocky Patel Connecticut Torpedo (6.5" x 50)
Cigar Cowboy talked me out of this sampler a while back. Overall a good call I think, but it still catches my eye sometimes.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Great thread ... keep em' coming! :)

I've got a Cabiguan resting in my humi awaiting consumption ... prices have been on the rise for these since word got out about how good they are. Makes me wish I'd picked up at least a 10-pack (feel free to shoot me link if you see any at this price :D)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It seems like a great sampler. What was the reason for talking you out of it?
Just that you could get better for less on the same sight. Theres a few in the gravy list that aren't so good now that Ive tried em.

IMHO:
5 Vegas Triple A is only good in the anomaly(44x4.6 i think) size - bad
Diesel - Awesome
5 Vegas gold - OK
G2 - decent
Gurkha - Makes you wanna puke-a
Indian Tabac - So-so, wouldnt buy again, but not so terrible as the gurkha
Oliva Serie G - Really Good
Achilles - decent
RP - good also, but i like some RP stuff while most here hate it

others i haven't tried so let me know what you think of them.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
From what I understand the hate that Gurkha and RP get around these parts seems to be largely "hate by principle" rather than genuine "hate because it sucks".

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ive tried 3 different gurkha cigars and wished i had the money back on all 3,
while RP ive had 5 different cigars and liked all but one, and I smoke sungrowns pretty regular, so ive got some love for the brand.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Ive tried 3 different gurkha cigars and wished i had the money back on all 3,
while RP ive had 5 different cigars and liked all but one, and I smoke sungrowns pretty regular, so ive got some love for the brand.

I've heard nothing but good about the Gurkha Empire Series (particular the III), and apparently the Black Dragon and Park Avenue are similarly great.

Like a friend of mine told me - Gurkha just has too many lines. There are bound to be some bad ones. But they make some genuinely great smokes, too.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
had a park ave, evil, and assassin. none of them were for me. granted i only had one of each of them so take my assessment with a large grain of salt.

And as everyone here on BOTL says - smoke what you like!!

My brother has a friend who is a crazy cigar enthusiast who ONLY smokes Cubans (and very, very expensive ones to boot) and he gave me a couple of cigars I really didn't enjoy much.

Different tastes :)

Rating - 100%
37   0   0

It doesn't just go for cigars, either. Everything in life. Why waste your time (not to mention your money) with something you don't like?

I made wine and beer for almost 2 years, and this is something I told people all the time. Why bother spending $50 on a bottle of wine just to "impress" your company when you can't stand the flavour of that wine?

My sister only drinks those $7 bottles of Wild Vines Strawberry Zinfandel wine. I can't stand the stuff, but she adores it. Who am I to tell her she's wasting her money on something she enjoys?

There's a lot of elitism in the wine community. This idea that a bottle of wine isn't worth drinking unless you spent $60+ on it is ridiculous.

That ends my rant :)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love the RP vintage 1990/92. not a fan of the "cuban blend" or the decade. but the decade I had was very dry so I may have to give it another chance.

I do have an original release decade which would be interesting.

keep up the good reviews!

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
It seems like a great sampler. What was the reason for talking you out of it?
Other than the diesel and the RP CT there really arent any good cigars in the deal. Yeah these are smokes that will get you through the day, but nothing here pops. and most of them are CI/Ccom house blends so they are still making money.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Other than the diesel and the RP CT there really arent any good cigars in the deal. Yeah these are smokes that will get you through the day, but nothing here pops. and most of them are CI/Ccom house blends so they are still making money.

Well, Oliva Serie G is great.

And I've heard nothing but great things about Padilla.