What's new

A Coolidor Primer

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thank you for the post. I was just wanting to get something bigger than my desktop unit that holds about a 100 stogies.

I'll start this project this weekend!

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Wow, great post! If I keep filling my humidor at this rate I may be building one of these.

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
So I went to wal-mart the other day to look for coolers.

It seems that most of the Coleman's do not seal well. At least not according to the paper test. They all had lids with those raised tabs on them to lock the lid but the actual plastic rim did not come in contact with the body of the cooler unless you pushed and held the lid down.

I finally found an older 48qt Coleman at Meijer that did not have the raised tabs on the rim of the lid. This ensured that the plastic rim sealed with the body of the cooler and it was only 19.99.

The cooler is now washed with 5:1 bleach, and mild soap and water, currently air drying. Hopefully it will be ready soon.

Question: Do I really need to line with spanish cedar if I am using it to store boxes? If so where is the best place to get it and what is the best way to attach it to the cooler? The cooler has a smooth interior so no slots to put dividers / shelves...

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Home*>*Cedar Cigar Trays*>*Classic Spanish Cedar Cigar Tray
Classic Spanish Cedar Cigar Tray

From
http://www.cigarmony.com/classicspanishcedarcigartray.aspx
View Larger Image
List Price: $15.99
Cigarmony.com Price: $12.99
You Save: $3.00 (19%)
Item Number: HUMI-TRAY
Manufacturer: Cigarmony Exclusive
The Spanish cedar cigar tray is ideal for adding storage versatility to any larger humidor, "coolerdor", wine chiller or walk-in.

Features:
1 Spanish cedar cigar tray
* Constructed of premium Spanish cedar
* Works with desktop humidors, coolers, wine chillers, cabinet humidors, etc.
* Dimensions: 12.5" long x 7.5" wide x 2.5" high and have one movable divider.
* Capacity: Approx 30 cigars
Product Reviews
Login to rate or review this product
(0 Ratings, 0 Reviews)

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
ok, I went and looked at several coolers today. I went to Walmart, Meijer and Gander Mountain. All of the coolers I could take a sheet of paper close it on it and pull it out fairly easy.

Is this cool? I thought I was not supposed to be able to pull the paper out?

Any thoughts?

Best regards, tony
Northville, MI

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I just bought a 16 quart box today. I not sure if its what I want cause I think I am going to have to spray Great Stuff.I don't know if it will stick to the plastic or not. I would like a big rubber maid they have good seals.

Very informative post. Thanks

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
ok, I went and looked at several coolers today. I went to Walmart, Meijer and Gander Mountain. All of the coolers I could take a sheet of paper close it on it and pull it out fairly easy.

Is this cool? I thought I was not supposed to be able to pull the paper out?

Any thoughts?

Best regards, tony
Northville, MI
I found the same problem when i was looking. Most of the newer cooler have little tabs (raised portions) around the rim of the lid. These did not seal well according to the paper test. I do know that others are using them.

I ended up finding a 40 something quart cooler (basic style) for 19.99 at meijer that had the solid rim with no protruding tabs that sealed great.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
There is some great info here, first time I'm seeing and reading it.

It definately needs another bump!

Thecatch83

I smoke Opus like candy!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great advice! I'm putting my Igloodor together now (54 ct) with four cedar trays, one lbs. of 65% HF beads, and a digital hygrometer. Should be good for long term storage! Quick note, IMO having a mini fan inside a coolidor is overkill and you will end up buying batteries left and right. Fans are better served for the huge cabinet style humidors than can hold 100+ cigars.

Last edited: