What's new

A Coolidor Primer

Bull

Time to rest.............
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great advice! I'm putting my Igloodor together now (54 ct) with four cedar trays, one lbs. of 65% HF beads, and a digital hygrometer. Should be good for long term storage! Quick note, IMO having a mini fan inside a coolidor is overkill and you will end up buying batteries left and right. Fans are better served for the huge cabinet style humidors than can hold 100+ cigars.
A computer fan on a timer works GREAT
and can be had for about 25.00
Well worth it.
Computer fan on ebay 7.00
Ac adapter, radio shack, or you may have one laying around and not know it.
Timer, radio shack

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I'm thinking of starting a coolidor and have a question about the oust fans. Do they have a timer built in or would I still have to pick up a timer of some sort?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm thinking of starting a coolidor and have a question about the oust fans. Do they have a timer built in or would I still have to pick up a timer of some sort?
Oust fans do have a timer. On for 5 mins/off for 15 mins. I wanna say a D battery lasts 3-4 months for me, but it's not like I write that on the calender lol

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Quick note, IMO having a mini fan inside a coolidor is overkill and you will end up buying batteries left and right. Fans are better served for the huge cabinet style humidors than can hold 100+ cigars.
I agree, though I'd be surprised if my coolidor doesn't have something close to 100 cigars in it. I didn't count, but there are a bunch of boxes in that 48qt cooler. Unless you are going for a really big cooler, or perhaps if you are going to do the whole stand-up deal, I really don't see the need.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I wasn't thinking. Any Cooler of any size will hold way more than 100 cigars. Just a note.

Last edited:

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Good question. Took me forever to find it the other day.

I've started prepping my cooler. It was smell-free for like a day, then the damn plasticy smell came back. Rescrubbed with bleach-water this morning. Hopefully that gets it gone. I just want to get my stuff moved.

Thanks headbanger for putting this together. Awesome set of instructions.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Perfect bump timing on this one as I was about to ask what is the best coolerdor prep method around after searching and finding a TON of hits!

Ill be prepping my coolerdor soon!.

cmhicksusmc

Corporal/USMC
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
So I've been looking for a safe way to transport my collection back to Florida when I officially leave the military. This coolerdor seemed like the ticket. So I'm washing this beast out and in go the sticks and HF beads. This will hopefully make it through the airport.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
One question, I was going to use spray adhesive to adhere the spanish cedar to the sides, as long as I let it air out enough, do you foresee an odor problem?

Also, small tip, you should check craigslist for cooler/fridges, I just bought a broken (which doesnt matter for me :) ) minifridge on craigslist for 10$ so anyone interested might wanna check there first.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
One question, I was going to use spray adhesive to adhere the spanish cedar to the sides, as long as I let it air out enough, do you foresee an odor problem?
Overdoing it in my opinion. Siding the cooler with SC isn't really necessary, especially if you are storing boxes. Not that it isn't cool. :wink:

---
- Sent from my personal space using my iPhone

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
Well most won't be stored in individual boxes and I happen to have 12sq ft of SC veneer, so might as well I guess. I was looking at adhesive in walmart and there are some "low odor" options

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first post but been lurking for a while. :) Just thought I would throw out a simple modification I did to my coolidor.

I had a slight problem with the seal, I did the paper test and seem good, but I was having to recharge my beads almost three times a week. Figured that the seal was not good enough in a spot or two, just not sure where. I tried various types of weather stripping and the all were too thick, and would not let the door to close all the way. Finally hit on a simple solution that is working like a charm.

I took some rubber cement I had laying around (any glue would probably work or tacky substance) and dabbed a few spots, and stuck some yarn my wife had inside the "C" channel of the lid. The yarn compresses nicely and forms a good enough seal to hold the humidity.

Thanks to everyone on this site, still learning, and enjoying this lifestyle. :)

Arch

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first post but been lurking for a while. :) Just thought I would throw out a simple modification I did to my coolidor.

I had a slight problem with the seal, I did the paper test and seem good, but I was having to recharge my beads almost three times a week. Figured that the seal was not good enough in a spot or two, just not sure where. I tried various types of weather stripping and the all were too thick, and would not let the door to close all the way. Finally hit on a simple solution that is working like a charm.

I took some rubber cement I had laying around (any glue would probably work or tacky substance) and dabbed a few spots, and stuck some yarn my wife had inside the "C" channel of the lid. The yarn compresses nicely and forms a good enough seal to hold the humidity.

Thanks to everyone on this site, still learning, and enjoying this lifestyle. :)

Arch

My most recent coolerdor is a 165qt from Costco $85 on sale with locking latches so I thought it would be good. The seal was not very tight so I bought some 3/16" weather stripping and filled in the space between the cover and the box. It worked great. Kitty litter in the bottom and some shelves added with as much SC as I could fill the empty space with and now I have a great coolerdor that will hold 1000+ cigars. Went out of town for the week and came back to 69% humidity in the box after adding cigars boxes and loose SC wood trays. Very happy with the results.

Tom