What's new

A Failsafe Lighter?

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Ok I'm just fustrated as all get out! I have baught three lighters now and at first all of them worked fine. Three different styles, good manufacures, and single-double-triple flames. For some reason they work great for the first few months and then start to peter out till I finelly can't get them to light at all. So what gives? Am I doing something wrong? What lighter do you guys use that has provided you with great consistancy? :dunno:

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Tom if you find it let me know! I've got like 12 different lighters all but two have issues and they're fairly new. I've got a handful that the valve stays on for a while after you stop depressing it. Almost set my ass on fire a few times.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I am with you Tom! And I do like a Ronson...but any lighter I have to carry 2 of (with a back-up pack of matches)...is not a great lighter:) Great price...but still tends to suck after use of a month or so...

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I only have 3 lighters right now:

Ronson Jetlite
Zippo Z-Plus Conversion (2)

They work and they have never failed. When they do fail, I can replace either of them for under $10. All of my expensive lighters have failed within a few months. Vector is the exception. It lasted for almost 2 years until my stupid ass broke it...:pokemyeye

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I played around with the $5-$20 lighters for a while and had the same problems. Sometimes it was the copper ignitor that would almost melt, sometimes it got bent up so it wouldn't actually ignite the fuel, or it would get caked with tar stuff. Other times it was the fill valve.
I made the switch a bought the Xikar and haven't had a single problem. And when/if there is ever a problem I can just swap it out for a brand new one. Def worth dropping the extra coin.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I only have 3 lighters right now:

Ronson Jetlite
Zippo Z-Plus Conversion (2)

They work and they have never failed. When they do fail, I can replace either of them for under $10. All of my expensive lighters have failed within a few months. Vector is the exception. It lasted for almost 2 years until my stupid ass broke it...:pokemyeye
I've been thinking of getting one of these for my Zippo. I love my Zippo, but I'm leery about the fuel leaving a funny taste on my cigars (I've heard this from other people). I've heard mixed reviews on them though so I haven't bitten the bullet yet.

Dan

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've been thinking of getting one of these for my Zippo. I love my Zippo, but I'm leery about the fuel leaving a funny taste on my cigars (I've heard this from other people). I've heard mixed reviews on them though so I haven't bitten the bullet yet.

Dan
A Z-Plus is a butane insert, no different than any other butane lighter. I have been using one for almost 4 years and smoke at least 2 cigars per day. I have never had a taste issue.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I got frustrated as well and broke down and purchased the S.T. Dupont MaxiJet (formerly X-Tend) for myself for Christmas. I've been extremely happy with it--awesome lighter and scary fuel-efficient.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What kind of butane are you using? I used cheap butane from the drug store before in my
Xikar and it got clogged and wouldnt light. Your description almost sounds like my experience, thats why I ask. Ive been using butane from my B&M now and havent had a problem with either of my Xikar lighters since. Just a thought.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used to have the same issues with lighters and some will just stop working or start giving you problems because of some very simple causes.

1. Cheap butane ( fuel )
2. Not purging the ligher before re-filling.
3. Not screwing the insert towards the - all the way.
4. Overcharging the lighter and blowing out the seal.

One can take the lighter apart and go thru it and repair them if you own a lighter that you paid dearly for but if it's a Ronson or something else at a low price point just get another one. I use the same Ronson I have had for a couple of years and it works every time because of the procedures I use above.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I have been using the Blazer torch lighters for quite awhile now and have been extremely impressed. I liked the Jetlites because of their great value, but they seemed to wear out fairly quickly; e.g. - 12 - 18 months. I have tried a number of them and the life is pretty consistent.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Lighters sure can be very fustrating to deal with at times. Depends on how much you want to spend. On the higher end I really like the ST Dupont. On the lower end you can't go wrong with Xikar.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
What kind of butane are you using? I used cheap butane from the drug store before in my
Xikar and it got clogged and wouldnt light. Your description almost sounds like my experience, thats why I ask. Ive been using butane from my B&M now and havent had a problem with either of my Xikar lighters since. Just a thought.
I buy the good stuff from the cigar store too..So I don't think that's it.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I'm a big fan of the Blazer torches, not dressy, but works and holds a fair amount of fuel. My first one lasted almost twenty years. Second one is only about a year or two old. Search for "Blazer original cigar torch"

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Xikar ellipse does it for me. Had it for a couple yeArs. If it does go bad though I can just send it in. The Trezo is not so reliable for me but it does work. The ellipse gives me no hassles even with the abuse its seen.