What's new

a new toy...

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
er, uh,,, i mean, tool!

just completed my first of three days of training on the AR-15! got a brand new one issued to me! mighty sweet weapon!! next two days, they say we'll put 2000+ rounds down range!! :assaultri

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
So is that a dept issue? If you get 30 rounders make sure to get green followers brother. The others have a tendency to cant and jam the magazine up. Figured I'd let you know in case you haven't heard. If I were home in PA I have some spares that I could send ya. Is it semi only or do you have 3rd burst/full auto. One thing I love about ARs is super low recoil and they're just sooooo light.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Very nice Jeff. Are you allowed to modify at all? Is this a "trunk gun" or are you on the tactical squad or what? Details bro', details. :stretchgr

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Have fun with it, some of the best times I every had with guns was shooting lots and lots of Uncle Sam's ammo.

If you have any questions that pop up, throw them at me, I've been several different flavors of firearms and tactics instructor back in my day (got out in 1996), worked in a gun shop as a gunsmith, done executive protection, MP and some other fun stuff as well.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So is that a dept issue? If you get 30 rounders make sure to get green followers brother. The others have a tendency to cant and jam the magazine up. Figured I'd let you know in case you haven't heard. If I were home in PA I have some spares that I could send ya. Is it semi only or do you have 3rd burst/full auto. One thing I love about ARs is super low recoil and they're just sooooo light.

Get the Magpul follower. Best on the market, superior to the surplus green ones. They will not cant or jam. I have them in all my AR mags. Below is a link to The Sportsman’s Guide for the Magpul follower (with picture). There are many other places you can get then too, including gun shows. I’ve got WebNONsense at work here and firearms is filtered so I’m limited to the sites I can pull up. If you don’t want to buy from Sportsman’s Guide just Google magpul. Magpul sells complete mags as well.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=369257&kwtid=264210

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Adam, I know what you’re saying about the green followers but the Magpuls are even better. If you get a chance check them out and you’ll see what I mean.
Rick

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Model, Jeff? Looks like a Colt Government Lightweight Carbine, or its modern successor.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Jeff,

I've swapped all my followers out as well and do use the Mag Pull which I think is best, but not because I was having any particular problems with any of the mish mosh of mags I’ve collected over the years. I was shooting PPC three gun at the time and I think I was just playing follow the leader with spend your money.

Having used the M-16 and many of it's variants for more than two decades; I can't say that any followers had a big problem if you kept everything clean and didn’t over oil. I'm guessing at the end of your training regardless of the followers that came standard, you will not have had any failures to feed from the follower canting.

Even the original design worked OK once the parkerizing rubbed smooth although it didn't like sand a whole lot, the new Teflon coated and plastic followers with higher lubricity seem a bit easier to load and I’m sure are better, but main problem with jams on these guys has always been dirt getting into the magazine before you put it in the weapon, poor quality ammo or cartridges with dented projectiles or casings.

Your mileage may very, but especially with department issue, if it isn't broken don't fix it. What make is your AR? Also, what kind of ammo are they issuing and having you practice with?

If they will let you modify at all, I’d highly recommend a sight like an Acog, Elican or Eotech ( I have an Eotech and love it), a good mounted flashlight rocks and combined with a laser is even better. The cost of these lights has come way down as tough LED’s have replaced the complicated shock isolating xenon bulb style. Replacing the front post with a tritium sight is a must if you don’t get an illuminated sight to add.