What's new

a new toy...

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Jeff,

I've swapped all my followers out as well and do use the Mag Pull which I think is best, but not because I was having any particular problems with any of the mish mosh of mags I’ve collected over the years. I was shooting PPC three gun at the time and I think I was just playing follow the leader with spend your money.

Having used the M-16 and many of it's variants for more than two decades; I can't say that any followers had a big problem if you kept everything clean and didn’t over oil. I'm guessing at the end of your training regardless of the followers that came standard, you will not have had any failures to feed from the follower canting.

Even the original design worked OK once the parkerizing rubbed smooth although it didn't like sand a whole lot, the new Teflon coated and plastic followers with higher lubricity seem a bit easier to load and I’m sure are better, but main problem with jams on these guys has always been dirt getting into the magazine before you put it in the weapon, poor quality ammo or cartridges with dented projectiles or casings.

Your mileage may very, but especially with department issue, if it isn't broken don't fix it. What make is your AR? Also, what kind of ammo are they issuing and having you practice with?

If they will let you modify at all, I’d highly recommend a sight like an Acog, Elican or Eotech ( I have an Eotech and love it), a good mounted flashlight rocks and combined with a laser is even better. The cost of these lights has come way down as tough LED’s have replaced the complicated shock isolating xenon bulb style. Replacing the front post with a tritium sight is a must if you don’t get an illuminated sight to add.
Well said Mitch. I think we’re on the same page with everything you stated. If the weapon is maintained and clean, with good ammo it does function reliably with the standard followers but I do think the magpul is a better design and that’s why I went with them. I like your sight options as well. I am kinda partial to the Acog over the Elcan or EOTech though, just out of my price range right now.

Listen to him Jeff, he has some good advice. :thumbsup:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
If they will let you modify at all, I’d highly recommend a sight like an Acog, Elican or Eotech ( I have an Eotech and love it), a good mounted flashlight rocks and combined with a laser is even better. The cost of these lights has come way down as tough LED’s have replaced the complicated shock isolating xenon bulb style. Replacing the front post with a tritium sight is a must if you don’t get an illuminated sight to add.
What I wouldn't give for an ACOG. I have an Aimpoint on mine, and don't get me wrong, it's a great red dot site, but I love the ability of the ACOG to just about "do it all". Close up to pretty darn far out. Not to mention it has the capability for more precision than the Aimpoint with it's large MOA dot (mine's an older one, I think they've come out with smaller dots in recent history).

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I hope I'm not turning into one of those old guys at the VFW that smells like stale beer and keeps recaping the good old days when a bouncing betty took out half his squad!

I do like the whole tactical thing though, it's more technical than chess, more physical than foot ball and slaps your reality back and fourth between god like and happy to suck on mud humble!

But Gladly, I'm getting too old for this S.... and happy to sit this one out.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
What I wouldn't give for an ACOG. I have an Aimpoint on mine, and don't get me wrong, it's a great red dot site, but I love the ability of the ACOG to just about "do it all". Close up to pretty darn far out. Not to mention it has the capability for more precision than the Aimpoint with it's large MOA dot (mine's an older one, I think they've come out with smaller dots in recent history).
I still prefer the Aimpoint. I have a couple of M2's. I no longer have the eyesight for long distance without magnification, but the M2 works just fine to 100 - 150 yards. I am stretching it at 200. Nice thing about the M2 is that it works good with N.V. Jason, you can always get a 3x unit to put behind it, which gives you much of the best of both worlds. Do not get me wrong, I loved my last ACOG, but it was too limiting for what I wanted in an AR. For AT&T work, my SN-6 works fine. . .:wink: If I was to try another ACOG, I would probably go with the TA-11.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I hear you bro'. Really, I don't expect anything past 50 yards with my AR. Anything out past that and I'm reaching for the FN PBR. My AR is set up for close-up work and that's what I find is the most fun with it. But that damn FN has given me a taste for making little bitty groups at distance, lol.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
For AT&T work, my SN-6 works fine. . .:wink: If I was to try another ACOG, I would probably go with the TA-11.
Why the heck do you need an Ar-15 to work for AT&T?

Knock Knock...Sir you have failed to pay your phone bill, I'm here to collect.:assaultri

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered about that too! Glad I don't owe ATT any money! What are the gun laws about AR's up your way. I know that in CA, we have strict laws concerning what are termed "Assault Weapons."

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
it is a Colt AR-15 A2 govt carbine. as far as modifications, nope, with the exception of the red-dot 'aimpoint' and one other brand (around $400 at my expense). semi-auto. it is department issued, and i already have a dual rack in my black-and-white Explorer for the AR and my shotgun. our union store has the 30 ct mags at a decent price... so i'll pick up a couple of those.

shot about 1000 rounds today. and, i'm much better left-handed! ha!! i'm freaking exhausted!! tomorrow, 0500 hours for dim-lighting shoots, then moving target shooting, then qualifications. we're mostly shooting at 100 yards,,, then closer for point shooting.

way too much fun! and, i'm getting paid for it! was just recently assigned to our southern platoon riot response,,, last week, we completed a bunch of training with the gas masks, et al... got a real nice kevlar helmet that'll stop a .223, however, the impact would break my neck,,, or so i'm told! toto? we're not in kansas anymore!!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Very nice. Good that you are getting so much work with the iron sights first. Always best to have a really good handle on those before you start thinking about optics.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Basic physics the force is equal to the recoil when you shoot it, so if you can shoot with the butstock to your head, you can survive the impact.

Same goes for the movie shotgun throwing a person twenty feet. Only if it threw the shooter twenty feet also.

got a real nice kevlar helmet that'll stop a .223, however, the impact would break my neck,,, or so i'm told! toto? we're not in kansas anymore!!

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I like the Eotech, because I like it best for the flat short ranged area I'm in. As far as the Acog, it's a great scope, but if you need to reach out, your better of with a basic hunting scope like a good 3-12x (and now you don't need bino's also). And with easy swaps on the rail and the cost of an Acog, you can have a better up close and a better out far option for the same cost or less.