What's new

A primer on humidification and seasoning

KGD

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
So in preparation for building my cooler-dor this week, if I add some pieces of spanish ceder to line the bottom, how long should I season the cooler for before placing any cigars in the cooler?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Not long. Depends on the amount of cedar. If we aren't talking much, a day will probably do it. So long as your cigars are at temp/humidity, that's what will matter. Also, boxes or loose? Boxes will help even things out as well, as will cedar trays. So as crappy of an answer as it is, it depends.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Awesome info in this thread, thanks for all the effort. I'm wondering if there's any harm in leaving the shot glass with the distilled water in the humi? It's holding at 65% (according to the analog hygrometer which came with the unit, which is a 50-count). I plan to get some beads, but for now only have pillows, and I'm not sure if they'll do the trick alone. Everything seems to be smoking fine at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
If everything is smoking fine then all should be good. Get rid of that analog hygrometer and get a digital. No harm to leaving the shot glass in until there is (nothing like a hedged answer, eh?). Get a reliable hygrometer, calibrate it and go from there. Happy smoking.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I really wish I had found this thread last year. I went through the whole journey of the typical small Chinese humidor with gel/hockey puck/ boveda packs and now I have a cooler with beads and it's virtually maintenance free and holds a solid 64%-66%.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I'm gonna bump this, and I also have a question, I believe I have one of these lying around
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BV_1_Calibration
I need to re-calibrate my hygrometers, can these be reused, or do I have to buy a new one each time? I have like 5 hygros.

I've done the salt test in the past, but I really liked the calibration kit.

D'oh! Just read at the bottom of that linked page "The test kit can be used more than once."

Move along, nothing to see here, just bumping

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, I have a question on seasoning with Boveda. I have a waxing moon 150 count humidor that I just bought. I placed 4, 84% Boveda packs in 23 days ago and it is still only reading 67% (but has been over 65% for 9 days). I have a boveda smart sensor double calibrated with the 2 level calibration system.

But, I haven't had the guts to put the sticks in yet. If I have 84% packets in there why isn't the humidity higher yet? Does this time course sound reasonable? I just fear that if it's only 67% with 84% packets once I throw in sticks and 65% packets I will be screwed.

Thoughts? Just bite the bullet, throw in the sticks and worry less?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I'm gonna bump this, and I also have a question, I believe I have one of these lying around
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BV_1_Calibration
I need to re-calibrate my hygrometers, can these be reused, or do I have to buy a new one each time? I have like 5 hygros.

I've done the salt test in the past, but I really liked the calibration kit.

D'oh! Just read at the bottom of that linked page "The test kit can be used more than once."

Move along, nothing to see here, just bumping
Salt test is hard to be accurate with. I just throw hygros in a sealed container or bag with a boveda.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So, I have a question on seasoning with Boveda. I have a waxing moon 150 count humidor that I just bought. I placed 4, 84% Boveda packs in 23 days ago and it is still only reading 67% (but has been over 65% for 9 days). I have a boveda smart sensor double calibrated with the 2 level calibration system.

But, I haven't had the guts to put the sticks in yet. If I have 84% packets in there why isn't the humidity higher yet? Does this time course sound reasonable? I just fear that if it's only 67% with 84% packets once I throw in sticks and 65% packets I will be screwed.

Hmm, that threw me off for a second, but then I remembered that boveda are kinda slow to release /absorb moisture. Some say about 1-2 % a week.
Is your seal good? Have you tried the dollar test or flashlight test?
I'd pull the seasoning packet out and see how it does with a regular boveda and the hygrometer. And maybe recheck your calibration.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Not really. Just one that's not over plump or too flat. Just have to make sure the container or bag has a good seal and good clear airspace around the hygros and boveda
Thanks, yeah I'll just buy a new boveda, and do the hygros one at a time......I have to stock up on Boveda's anyway, got a link for a nice sale on some bulk?

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0

Sorry bro, not trying to take over the thread, I will bump your question for someone with more experience.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks, yeah I'll just buy a new boveda, and do the hygros one at a time......I have to stock up on Boveda's anyway, got a link for a nice sale on some bulk?
Best I've seen is auctioneer, Amazon, the board sponsors with our discount, and I think @JG358 may have robbed a truck full of them at some point... ;)