What's new

A Sad Old Man

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Brother Dave, I feel your pain. Last fall I lost my best friend of 10 yrs. I found him when he was a newborn and was then with him until the day he passed. Like it sounds like with you, he was with me through thick and thin. I feel like I loved that damn dog half as much as he loved this damn man. We had a year together after the cancer. It was as good as the previous 9.
I would say this to you my friend. Pet him often. Love him as well as you can and know that you and him are a match.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Man your post hits home. My condolences Dave. Hurts like hell every time I lose someone I love, pets included....And, at least for me, each new loss brings the pain of all the previous rushing back.....yet I believe there's some higher plan. And love is the key. Hang in there brother.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Keep him close and comfort him like I know you will Dave. You are a damn good man Dave. That's one beautiful pup in that pic! Life is short no matter a spouse, fury friend or family friend. Call me if you need a ear.
"Honorary" son,
Justin
Ps thought this was appropriate timing while I typed this.

Last edited:

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
For many of us, our beloved dogs are as much a part of our family as our human relatives, and the love and the sorrow for their loss just as great. Enjoy the time you have left with Bernie, Dave, and may the memories of him help you through the sadness when he's gone.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I am so sorry for this horrible news. I have no idea how it will be when my own dogs eventually reach that day. We got both of them when they were mere months old from the humane society and they are indeed our children.
Take care of yourself and do not apologize for venting here. This is what makes us great. We are here for each other in good and bad.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I am so sorry, Dave. And your wife was right - love is love. My "first child" will turn 16 in November. In the past couple of weeks, it has started to become clear that he probably won't be around that long. My guy saw me through a fairly nasty divorce and, because of him, I kept my sanity. Your pup saw you through the death of your wife and was probably quite instrumental in helping you deal with that.

Venting is part of the grieving cycle and we're all here for each other.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm so sorry Dave. Dogs are Family and I know the pain you're feeling. My Heart breaks for you My Friend. Just pamper him and Love on him (which I know you do already) for the rest of his time and I will be praying that his time will be extended and that he is not in any pain. You know we are all here for you Dave! You are a Great Man Dave!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Many here know, and have carried the same burden you now carry on your heart, Dave.
Your story brings back memories of my own. .... loss....
God Bless buddy, hang tight. ...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear what you and Barnie are going through, Dave. I lost my male Jack Russell about five years ago to a liver problem. We also put him on steroids and it stretched his life out a few years, but it was a rough couple of years for the poor pup. My female is still with us and she's 14 now. Know he is spending his remaining time doing exactly what he wants. Being with his master.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Sorry you and your boy having to go through this. I understand were you are coming from. Iv had my dog Calvin for only 2 years and he is like a son to me and my wife I don't know what I would do without him.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Dave, my heart aches for you.

The thing about Man's Best Friend is that they judge you soley by the way you treat them, your outward and inward goodness and your willingness to let them live in the moment. In many ways, our dogs / friends can take us to that wonderful place no matter what our day, week or mood tends to be, and they only want one thing - happiness.

Perhaps this is why we grow so close to them. They judge us not by how much money we make, what shirt we're wearing, whether or not our grammar is perfect, or our breath smells bad. They simply do not care about things that do not matter in the long run; they can only care about the here and now and that which gives them a reason to love us.

Perhaps this is why so many of us gravitate towards these find friends. Perhaps it's because so much of that gets in the way of our human-to-human relationships. Your dog does not care what car you drive, what shirt you wear or whether or not you like one Philly cheesesteak sandwich versus another.

They crave what we all crave, love.

And I am certain Dave, that this is exactly what you got from your wonderful friend over many years.

That is replaceable, and reason enough for your sadness.

Joel