What's new

A second cigar boom?

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I found this article interesting. I wasn't smoking cigars around the first cigar boom. Hell, I was only in middle school. Could this be the beginning of a second boom? Or do you think he's just taking advantage of an opportunity? What are your thoughts? Interested to hear from some brothers who were around for the first one and see if they notice any similarities between then and now.

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2014/09/a_cigar_boom_in_north_alabama.html#incart_river

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No, I don't see the boom returning. From the article I take it as a move grow his business. During the boom, a lot of people who knew nothing about cigars jumped into opening shops or went into manufacturing. There were a ton of really crappy cigars put out during the boom, again mainly by people who had no experience with cigars. Quality cigars were hard to come by, you needed a relationship with a tobacconists. Also smoking regulations were more lax then so you could light up in bars, restaurants and other places so cigars were more in the public eye. The only thing I would want to see come back from the boom years is the lax smoking regulations, but that has passed like the boom.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I wasn't smoking cigars during the first boom, but from the stories my mentors told me, and articles I've read, it was exactly like Dutchman said. Another thing I heard/read is that many NCs where being rushed to market without proper aging, to meet the tremendous demand. Cigars being made by inexperienced companies, from crap tobacco, without proper aging, at high prices. Doesn't sound like it was a fun time to be a cigar smoker. I personally hope there is never another boom like the first one.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
No, I don't see the boom returning. From the article I take it as a move grow his business. During the boom, a lot of people who knew nothing about cigars jumped into opening shops or went into manufacturing. There were a ton of really crappy cigars put out during the boom, again mainly by people who had no experience with cigars. Quality cigars were hard to come by, you needed a relationship with a tobacconists. Also smoking regulations were more lax then so you could light up in bars, restaurants and other places so cigars were more in the public eye. The only thing I would want to see come back from the boom years is the lax smoking regulations, but that has passed like the boom.
Thanks for that! From what it sounds like, it was a completely different situation and one that probably won't be replicated anytime soon (at least when it comes to lax smoking regulations). I was thinking the same thing, that he just wanted to grow his business, but I wasn't sure. I thought it was ambitious of him to open up another location with the current state of b&ms but more power to him if he feels the need for it!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I agree with derfatdutchman. Seems like a strategic move to grow his business. I do feel that this new generation has a lot more cigar smokers then my generation. Which may be why people think it might be a modern day Boom. I really dont think it will ever happen. but hey what do i know...

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
I think things will really boom once the FDA hammers the industry with it's new regulations. They care about their jobs, not the jobs they will destroy.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think things will really boom once the FDA hammers the industry with it's new regulations. They care about their jobs, not the jobs they will destroy.
If the FDA passes their regulations as written, I don't think we will see so much of a boom as a panic. Think the Cuban Embargo where JFK sent out people to buy all the H. Upmann Petite Corona's they could find prior to his signing the embargo (the got about 1,200). People will be trying to buy a lot of cigars, but since the manufactures will now have to abide by the new FDA rules they won't be increasing up production like they did during the boom years.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
All this, plus I think cigars have become more acceptable in the past few years again. During the no smoking push of the 90s, everything tobacco-related was lumped together. I think these days (due to celebrities smoking cigars openly and on television) that cigars are regaining some acceptance.

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Spot on

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
No boom. Rather steady growth of quality cigars. I have never seen so many really good sticks come out and from multiple countries. The boom was all" get as much stuff into the consumers hands as possible". A lot of it was garbage. Then you had the wholesalers who bought up the junk and sold it cheap. Nothing like today where quality is outshining quantity at most businesses. Yes we do have some folks plunking out a new stick every few weeks. But realistically the good houses are bringing good stuff to the market.

As far as the FDA... The U.S. market will just move off shore like the Cuban market did. The US loses on massive tax base and we all have to go underground. NBD

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Actually, if we were in a cigar boom, it would be the 3rd boom. The first on occurred in the Mid 90's. The second occurred in the area of 2007/2008 and now some are considering new folks getting into the mix of manufacturing cigars and increased sales as the 3rd boom. Not sure we are in the third boom of not, but there are some great cigars being made.