What's new

About mailing cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statesville, North Carolina. United States.
I searched but couldn't find a thread and I'm sure it will be shirt lived anyway. I got a gift for my dad.

But he is in NY so I have to mail this to him. What is the best way to send someone a cigar through the mail. I would hate for the USP to ruin this cigar by throwing the box I want to put it in around and shit like that. My question is, what can I do or how should I pack this one (or any, as I progress I want to mail and trade as I get more experience with cigars) so it gets to my old man in one piece?

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Put it in a flat rate box with a couple other cigars in a ziploc and pack them well with bubble wrap so they cant move in there.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
two seperate layers of ziplock bag (the kind a tobacconist uses will work, if you have spares), then padding, either paper or bubble wrap, all tucked in a USPS priority flat rate small box(available at your local post office). it's worked for me a couple few times.

oh, and FWIW, one cigar would get awfully lonely in transit. it should travel with friends. o)

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It doesn't make sense to me to send a small flat rate box IMHO, unless you are sending something heavy. It's cheaper to send a regular small box when just sending a few cigars. Also, IMHO, a Small FRB doesn't have room for enough bubble wrap for my liking.
I've sent many boxes and these are just my opinions, however. My wife says I get carried away but I would hate for something to happen if I could have done something to avoid it.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I like the flat-rate boxes because they're free, easy to build and hold a 5-er with the small bubble-wrap quite easily. I also like the fact that I know exactly how much it is going to cost and, even if I can save $1 on the shipping, it's so much more convenient to use the SFR box and not worry about finding a suitable box, measuring it, taking it to the post office, etc. That's worth the $1 to me, easily.

However, I do believe that a person who has not had USPS crush an SFR box is a person who has not had USPS crush an SFR box yet.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I like the flat-rate boxes because they're free, easy to build and hold a 5-er with the small bubble-wrap quite easily. I also like the fact that I know exactly how much it is going to cost and, even if I can save $1 on the shipping, it's so much more convenient to use the SFR box and not worry about finding a suitable box, measuring it, taking it to the post office, etc. That's worth the $1 to me, easily.

However, I do believe that a person who has not had USPS crush an SFR box is a person who has not had USPS crush an SFR box yet.

That's why I use a shit ton of packaging material. And I always tape up my boxes like crazy so they don't come open. Which has happened with the flat rates

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
If it were me sending a single cigar, I would use a small box with lots of bubble wrap. Send it First Class with DC. Roughly the same timeframe, but should only cost like $2.

That being said, I ship enough crap that I keep a small tape measure and a baking scale near my desk so I can package something up, weight it, and print postage online. I keep most of the smaller shipping boxes I receive from online purchases for re-use. Super easy, super cheap.

If you don't mail much, grab a Small Flat Rate Priority box and cushion the cigar with lots of newspaper. Should work just as well, and will cost just under $6.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
If it were me sending a single cigar, I would use a small box with lots of bubble wrap. Send it First Class with DC. Roughly the same timeframe, but should only cost like $2.

That being said, I ship enough crap that I keep a small tape measure and a baking scale near my desk so I can package something up, weight it, and print postage online. I keep most of the smaller shipping boxes I receive from online purchases for re-use. Super easy, super cheap.

If you don't mail much, grab a Small Flat Rate Priority box and cushion the cigar with lots of newspaper. Should work just as well, and will cost just under $6.
Instead of newspaper you can use the millions of famous catalogs you get in the mail.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I don't think many here have much experience shipping cigars.....
Lol we are singlehandedly keeping the lights on at USPS
Apparently
My mail man seriously said that he jokingly tells other mailmen that my house is his "job security" between cigars Amazon orders and my girls hobbies we have at least a package every other day.
Same for my house. All baby stuff is bought through amazon. And everything I buy is normally online.

If I go a day without a package I get upset.