What's new

About mailing cigars.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I like the flat-rate boxes because they're free, easy to build and hold a 5-er with the small bubble-wrap quite easily. I also like the fact that I know exactly how much it is going to cost and, even if I can save $1 on the shipping, it's so much more convenient to use the SFR box and not worry about finding a suitable box, measuring it, taking it to the post office, etc. That's worth the $1 to me, easily.

However, I do believe that a person who has not had USPS crush an SFR box is a person who has not had USPS crush an SFR box yet.

That's why I use a shit ton of packaging material. And I always tape up my boxes like crazy so they don't come open. Which has happened with the flat rates
A couple times now I've forced one flat rate inside another flat rate and it works essentially giving you a double-wall box for the same shipping cost. Easier on MFR & LFR, but SFR is doable as well.
Then, as above, tape like crazy! :thumbup::D

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I work in this industry, I have had to ship plenty of sticks. With locations, you have dry air, so I account for that too.

First thing is first, the bag. A heavy duty zip lock works well, like one of freezer strength. Not as much moisture escapes. In fact, I put the bag in the humi for about 10 minutes with the cigar in there so all the air (whatever little you leave left in there) is humid.

Next is the post office. Bubble wrap. Wrap that thing tight like something form Chipotle.

Small flat rate box. Those things are damn sturdy. Very rarely does one get destroyed.

And with this package, add an extra cigar or two for him.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
FYI, you can fit a sfr in a large usps priority mail envelope and save a quarter a package. Extra layer of protection and you don't have to worry about the sfr coming open.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
And if you're asked what's in the box (it's happened to me before when dropping off at the post office), do not mention anything about any sort of tobacco. Just say, "Just some hand made products". Even though it's not illegal to ship cigars, some places may give you problems if you tell them it's cigars (I've had that happen early on with UPS and FedEx). Same thing with liquor.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
And if you're asked what's in the box (it's happened to me before when dropping off at the post office), do not mention anything about any sort of tobacco. Just say, "Just some hand made products". Even though it's not illegal to ship cigars, some places may give you problems if you tell them it's cigars (I've had that happen early on with UPS and FedEx). Same thing with liquor.
I've also found that if you can come across even more bored with the transaction than the postal employee behind the counter is, you won't have any problems.

Not that that is an easy affectation to pull off.