What's new

Acid Construction problem?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, since I am still in the "finding what I like" stage, I figured I would go ahead and order this drew estate sampler that was on sale. I've smoked 2 (acid kubakuba, tabak especial negra robusto) and my dad has smoked one (tabak especial negra robusto.) With all 3, after I cut them (with my xikar, which works beautifully) the remainder of the cap almost immediately came off and the wrapper started to unravel a little. Is this a common think with DE? Should I get a punch for them? Just curious if anyone had had this issue.

Also, I rested them in my humi for almost 2 weeks so i don't think it was a humidity problem.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
DE's stuff is pretty high quality. That said it's also hand made so there are bound to be some that aren't quite up to snuff with the rest of 'em. That said, I would find it pretty low on the likelihood scale for all 3 cigars to have the same issue. So that leaves cutting errors or humidity being possible factors. I know you said that you rested them in your humi, but what's the humidity in there? Also how far down did you cut?

Dan

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
yep, you cut too far down. i place the blades of the cutter on the head, where there is still some "round" or "curve" and just take the cap off, leaving a ring of cap on the cigar to hold the wrapper in place.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Another tip I had always heard... and have tried a few times.

Open your Xikar, put it flat on the table, stand the cigar up in the cutter, and close. It usually takes off just enough.

keinreis

BoM Oct '11
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
After witnessing DE's quality control first hand on my trips to their factory, I will say I think they have prob one of the best of all factories we went to.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
it sounds like you are just cutting to far down. every cigar manufactuer caps the cigars differently so are you cutting too close to the end of the cap. Next time snip off a little less and see if that helps.

Also you might want to try a punch or v-cut. I have come across a couple of sticks that i could never get the guillotine cut to work for me so just tried something different.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hmmm, I'm barely taking any off. I started out with the whole setting it on the table trick but I can take the same off just holding it. My humi is 68% on the dot (I just recently calibrated my hygrometer.) Maybe it is just that I'm cutting it too far, but I've been smoking almost a year and never had this problem :(
And I couldn't see it being a construction problem necessarily because they feel so well... built. I guess I'll just try to take less off on the next one.

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I saw a post I think here where someone used their cutter to "score" the cap, that is did not clip it but gave the cutter enough pressure around the cap and rotated it around. All that comes off is the cap, no filler just the cap. I have been using it with great success lately.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I saw a post I think here where someone used their cutter to "score" the cap, that is did not clip it but gave the cutter enough pressure around the cap and rotated it around. All that comes off is the cap, no filler just the cap. I have been using it with great success lately.
I saw someone mention that the other night, but couldnt find the post. How do you do that? Just set it a little in the cutter and rotate?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Me too! Been using that method the past couple weeks, and cant bring myself to commit to a bonafied cut since I started trying it. Cheers!