What's new

Actual -vs- Perceived Flavor

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just because the thread is about perceived flavor....I suggest that new smokers benefit from reading reviews. If reviews have a common opinion about flavors in a cigar it's helpful to a short ash trying to identify how the flavors present themselves. I agree that you guys with a developed palate, maybe not so much.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I def get sucked into the allure of boutique or limited production stuff that the "cigar community" generally adores. Recently, I haven't been as into collecting the limited stuff like I use to and just smoked what tastes good to me. With that, Ive smoked, and enjoyed a lot stuff that I would have written off as crappy due to the stigma associated with the brands. For instance, I love a RP sungrown with some age now. They're one of the better sticks IMO, that can be picked up for pennies on the dollar due to RPs weak reputation.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I def get sucked into the allure of boutique or limited production stuff that the "cigar community" generally adores. Recently, I haven't been as into collecting the limited stuff like I use to and just smoked what tastes good to me. With that, Ive smoked, and enjoyed a lot stuff that I would have written off as crappy due to the stigma associated with the brands.
Man, preach it! I could not agree with you more. In fact, did we just become best friends??

For instance, I love a RP sungrown with some age now. They're one of the better sticks IMO, that can be picked up for pennies on the dollar due to RPs weak reputation.

...nevermind.

Rating - 92.9%
20   1   0
Just because the thread is about perceived flavor....I suggest that new smokers benefit from reading reviews. If reviews have a common opinion about flavors in a cigar it's helpful to a short ash trying to identify how the flavors present themselves. I agree that you guys with a developed palate, maybe not so much.
Very much this. I find myself trying to read multiple reviews on anything I'm considering purchasing, but also after I've smoked something. It helps to know if what I'm tasting is the same as what everybody else is tasting, or if I should give a cigar a second chance on the possibility that I've gotten a bad cigar out of a normally good brand/label.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I def get sucked into the allure of boutique or limited production stuff that the "cigar community" generally adores. Recently, I haven't been as into collecting the limited stuff like I use to and just smoked what tastes good to me. With that, Ive smoked, and enjoyed a lot stuff that I would have written off as crappy due to the stigma associated with the brands.
I completely agree. I've been totally disappointed in some of those highly sought after boutiques like Warped.. And thoroughly impressed with some of the "yard-gars" like CAO.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Man, preach it! I could not agree with you more. In fact, did we just become best friends??

...nevermind.
Hahaha I should have put one of the better CHEAP sticks, I’m not comparing them to the mass of what else is available. I’ll send u an old RP sungrown I got, and I guarantee you’ll find it tasty

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Very much this. I find myself trying to read multiple reviews on anything I'm considering purchasing, but also after I've smoked something. It helps to know if what I'm tasting is the same as what everybody else is tasting, or if I should give a cigar a second chance on the possibility that I've gotten a bad cigar out of a normally good brand/label.
Blind Man's Puff usually has good reviews, that I still occasionally check before trying a stick. But, they do a blind review, which Imo is the way to go. Still gotta keep in mind that the reviewer won't necessarily pull the same flavors that you might.
I would still recommend checking the reviews after you smoke one though.. or, at least after you understand what the individual "components" can bring to the profile.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Please recommend me a cigar that tastes like Macadamia nuts and scallops.

Thank you, I will sit back and wait for your responses.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Please recommend me a cigar that tastes like Macadamia nuts and scallops.
If you eat Macadamia Nut cookies for dessert after your dinner where the main course is heavily influenced by Scallops then all of your cigars will give you a Macadamia Nut and Scallops profile. Duh.

In related news: most of my cigars give me hints of Chili Cheese Burritos from Taco Bell.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
One should never taste ass, no matter how good it looks.

Honestly thats where shit comes from, do you drink bathwater too?