What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I don't know if I'll ever really get around to doing any rollings, but if nothing else, you've inspired an interest in learning more about rolling.

I think the thought of rolling some of my own is driven by wanting to understand the flavors of the different styles of leaves. I know what I like and don't lIke with pipe tobacco after 10+ years. But cigars... I am not knowledgeable at all and very much want to know more. I think rolling my own would send me light years ahead of where I am now. And that is very, very exciting to me. So maybe, just maybe I need to take that next round of cigars I was going to buy, and get some leaves to play with!

This was a fun thread to read, looking forward to more of it.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Rolling cigars has definitely helped me pick out the nuances of different tobaccos the same brewing beer and roasting coffee have done for me. It is also helping me understand patience. The cigars are good when they are fresh, but if I have the patience to let them rest a few months, they really improve. I like to share and I enjoy smoking what I roll so I haven't gotten to the point where I have a large amount aging but I hope to get there in the next few months.

Wholeleaftobacco.com has pre-blended kits in stock for roughly $25 each and they are a great way to give it a try without spending a lot of cash. A pizza cutter works to cut the leaves but I have recently bought a knife that is very similar to the traditional chaveta and do tend to get better results with that but it isn't necessary. Xanthian gum is what I will always suggest using for glue because it is cheap and works exceptionally well. Best of luck!!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Since we're posting pics again here's some of my last batch. Mostly in the 48x5 range. All are Leafonly Nica Criollo ligero, WLT corojo viso, Dom binder, and San Andreas wrapper. Closed foot and without caps.

View attachment 68692
View attachment 68693
Man those look good Cole!!!! This is why I need to get back into practice. You push me to want to be better every time I see how good your sticks look! Keep it up! I need that kick in the ass sometimes.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks fellas!! It's been a work in progress but I've gotten a lot better. Ive come to realize I really don't give a shit about making my sticks have caps anymore which I think has improved the overall aesthetics lol. I probably use a bit more glue than a factory roller but I've found caps to be unnecessary and have yet to have a cigar unravel from passing on it. I know it's not the "right" way but like homebrewing I've found this hobby is about making things work for you. They smoke and taste like cigars I pay a lot more money for so I couldnt be happier.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Ive come to realize I really don't give a shit about making my sticks have caps anymore which I think has improved the overall aesthetics lol. I probably use a bit more glue than a factory roller but I've found caps to be unnecessary and have yet to have a cigar unravel from passing on it.
I am going to try this... The caps have been killing me and if I keep the wrapper leaf a little longer I can still finish with a fan tail how I like. I too probably use a lot more glue than a professional torcedor and too have never had issues with anything unravelling.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am going to try this... The caps have been killing me and if I keep the wrapper leaf a little longer I can still finish with a fan tail how I like. I too probably use a lot more glue than a professional torcedor and too have never had issues with anything unravelling.
Give it a shot you'll probably like the way they look. Capping is tricky and can make a nice stick look like a dog rocket real quick. One of the added benefits is I can wrap 2 coronas with one wrapper instead of chopping it up just for a cap. It's not proper but it works and after all it is a hobby. I damn sure ain't getting paid to do it so I might as well keep it simple and save some leaf in the process.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Grab a wooden cutting board, pizza cutter, and some glue and your set! Which kits did you get?
I go the Azucarodo Oscuro kit and the Melodioso Cremosa kit. Wasn't really sure what I should get so just got two that where listed as medium.

Really looking forward to getting this stuff in. Thanks a bunch to you and @BrewinHooligan for the inspiration to give it a try.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I go the Azucarodo Oscuro kit and the Melodioso Cremosa kit. Wasn't really sure what I should get so just got two that where listed as medium.

Really looking forward to getting this stuff in. Thanks a bunch to you and @BrewinHooligan for the inspiration to give it a try.
FWIW I'd probably start with the Oscuro kit since the binder it comes with is thicker. It should be easier to learn the process with compared to the Sumatra from the other kit. I manhandled a decent amount of binder leaf figuring things out lol.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
^ Not a bad way to start. It would be nice if it came with a bit more leaf though. It took me more than 8 cigars to get the leaf casing right so the first dozen or so practically weren't even smokeable. Wholeleaftobacco.com has kits that come with enough leaf for 15-20 cigars and are about $12 cheaper. They don't come with any tools or DVD though just the leaf. Ive got nothing against LeafOnly, I have their mold and thats also where Ive been getting my wrapper leaf. Just throwing the info out there.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I started one year ago with home rolling. Bought some tobacco with FTT and watched a lot of rolling videos.
These is my last batch of cigars in the mold, 52 x 6.5 inch.

View attachment 68733
Thank you for sharing!! I love seeing what other home rollers are doing. Do you ever keep the shaggy foot or do you trim them before adding the wrapper leaf?