What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So awesome to see you up and at it again. Those look great!

Never seen those little bastid beetles before (knock wood) but it sucks it happened...
Thank you brother! It feels good to be at it again, but I'm definitely rusty. I guess beetles are just a risk to be run living in a hot climate and not taking measures to kill them off before rolling. I'm just glad they didn't spread.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thank you brother! It feels good to be at it again, but I'm definitely rusty. I guess beetles are just a risk to be run living in a hot climate and not taking measures to kill them off before rolling. I'm just glad they didn't spread.
Ehh you'll get back to where you were before. Just taking some time. This probably gets your mind off of things.

Ahh well the climates would do it. And that would've sucked if they attacked more of the leaf you already had stashed.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The sticks coming out of the mold

The finished product tonight. Wrapping perfectos is a real pain in the ass. It took forever tonight and I got pretty pissed. I stuck it out and while they may not be pretty (pretty fuckin ugly if you ask me) they should still smoke well.
I don't know what you're talking about. Those look fantastic. Well done, sir!
I have to agree. Those look sweet.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Awesome. How are they?
These ones will rest for a bit before I try this new blend but I may try one this weekend at a local herf. I have smoked or gifted all but two that I have rolled previously and I enjoy them quite a bit, even more than quite a few commercial sticks but I may be biased. I have had some very positive feedback from others too though.

Those look great, i have seen rougher looking cubans.
Thank you brother. I am a really tough critic on myself. I think of cigars like I think of food, the presentation can set the tone of the experience and I want them to look perfect. They will probably never look perfect to me, but that's what I'm working towards. The really ugly ones are the ones I keep and I try to share the rest.

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
I mainly wrap CT and PA broadleaf. I only did it on double maduro blends. If your not binding and wrapping with broadleaf I wouldn't worry about it. If you do though the I put the seco on as a wrapper then the broadleaf over that. That way there's a layer of seco between the binder and wrapper. Otherwise the leaf is so thick is doesn't burn well.
Double wrapped essentially?

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
Well I think blend #2 is a winner. 75% corojo seco, 25% criollo ligero, Dominican binder, and PA Oscuro wrapper. The PA Oscuro flavors blow the corojo wrapper flavors away. Similar flavor as blend 1 with sweet tobacco, cream, and loads of spice but adds chocolate. Really hoping my new fillers are similar to this because it's right in my wheelhouse. I love how the closed foot came out on this one.
View attachment 60531
View attachment 60532
Man, I'm over here getting excited! I plan to join you guys in this towards the end of the fall! I think it will be a great winter hobby!

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
So @USHOG offered up some homegrown leaf to mess around with and who am I to turn that kind of offer down?? Well, he had pm'd me asking if I wanted to borrow a small perfecto mold he wasn't using. I had tried to politely decline due to lack in confidence in being able to roll such a tricky vitola but in typical botl fashion he politely ignored me. So here is the damage that was laid upon my mailbox from our overly generous brother. 5 different types of leaf and and awesome mold that looks to be the perfect size for my preferences. Thank you again!!

View attachment 60668
View attachment 60669
What an awesome gesture of kindness!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
BrewinHooligan, is @NicaNick Nick Melelio?
The one and only! I took a chance and sent him a pm to ask for any advice he would be willing to share. He of course couldn't give away much but gave me excellent advice of how to make a blend more balanced by using different primings and gave me an idea of something to do with the leaf I currently have. He's a class act and great guy.