What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does it cost we homerollers to make one super primo high-end cigar? Buck thirty-five. I document the details in my latest post here, in a post titled "What does the tobacco really cost," on March 1, 2018:
http://www.blisscigar.com/blend/
For $200 I get the leaf for 150 cigars. If I gave those away at 5 bucks a pop, I'd pocket $550 for a day's labor. It ain't lawyer money but it's also not Arby's night shift money.
Good read. I really like the assessment of the Olor tobacco.

If you got a retailers licence you could buy the tobacco direct from the distributor and probably get the tobacco cost cut in half. Less shipping cost also. That would cut the cost of the cigar in half but that's only a savings of 70 cents per cigar. However, when you sell 150 cigars this adds an additional $75 in your pocket for that "day's labor" so it's well worth it provided you can sell that many cigars.

"If I gave those away at 5 bucks a pop"....wait a minute, don't forget, the government wants it's piece of the action out of that $5 dollar cigar. I'm not sure what the details are but to sell tobacco leaf requires less involvement. Once it's rolled into a cigar you need additional state and federal licence requirements???

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Good read. I really like the assessment of the Olor tobacco.

If you got a retailers licence you could buy the tobacco direct from the distributor and probably get the tobacco cost cut in half. Less shipping cost also. That would cut the cost of the cigar in half but that's only a savings of 70 cents per cigar. However, when you sell 150 cigars this adds an additional $75 in your pocket for that "day's labor" so it's well worth it provided you can sell that many cigars.

"If I gave those away at 5 bucks a pop"....wait a minute, don't forget, the government wants it's piece of the action out of that $5 dollar cigar. I'm not sure what the details are but to sell tobacco leaf requires less involvement. Once it's rolled into a cigar you need additional state and federal licence requirements???
I'm talking about a full pirate situation. I roll 150 at $200 and sell them at $750 on the black market, $550 profit for a day or two of "labor." That's the only viable model here. I'm not spending $450,000 on lawyers and licenses, right? I'm talking about a strict "bodega" model. Roll'em, sell'em. Now, I've got 2400 people in a spreadsheet who want to buy these. It's just a question of, Can it be done without going to jail and losing my life savings? ;)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'm talking about a full pirate situation. I roll 150 at $200 and sell them at $750 on the black market, $550 profit for a day or two of "labor." That's the only viable model here. I'm not spending $450,000 on lawyers and licenses, right? I'm talking about a strict "bodega" model. Roll'em, sell'em. Now, I've got 2400 people in a spreadsheet who want to buy these. It's just a question of, Can it be done without going to jail and losing my life savings? ;)
They gotta find you first

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
probably not that difficult these days.
Compared to "the big guys", what a one man operation can do is peanuts. I honestly don't see them coming after anyone like one of us that decided to open shop under the table. I could be wrong, but the actual factories that are trying to pull stuff off I think would be where they would focus their attention.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Compared to "the big guys", what a one man operation can do is peanuts. I honestly don't see them coming after anyone like one of us that decided to open shop under the table. I could be wrong, but the actual factories that are trying to pull stuff off I think would be where they would focus their attention.
You're probably right.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What does it cost we homerollers to make one super primo high-end cigar? Buck thirty-five. I document the details in my latest post here, in a post titled "What does the tobacco really cost," on March 1, 2018:
http://www.blisscigar.com/blend/
For $200 I get the leaf for 150 cigars. If I gave those away at 5 bucks a pop, I'd pocket $550 for a day's labor. It ain't lawyer money but it's also not Arby's night shift money.
I updated the post to include my math on the weights and measures of making these cigars; and an additional paragraph on the the effect of the price differences and weights of seco vs viso/ligero.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Man, I'm surprised you didn't like that FX broadleaf. Granted I've only burned one freshie of one blend, but I'm impressed so far. Mata Fina doesn't fit the bill for you either?
Yeah, didn't like that FX brown at all; not as terrible as some others but def not awesome. The LO Mata Fina wrapper also doesn't strike me as high-end. I probably just have weird taste. With the exception of some serious dark Habano wrappers, I pretty much love most high-end commercial dark sticks I smoke. Just haven't found anything that makes me jump for joy with which I can wrap my own. Right now trying to dial something in with the LO Viso and Ligero, both of which I think have potential.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
PM me a list of what you have tried. I'll send you everything I can find that you haven't. I'm been waiting quite some time for this bodega.
Okay, I'll pm you. But I'll also put the info here: every wrapper at WLT and LO except their various fire-cured offerings, plus the various FX Smith wrappers, plus various Broadleaf things from Larry the Butcher, and everything from Jorge.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Yeah, didn't like that FX brown at all; not as terrible as some others but def not awesome. The LO Mata Fina wrapper also doesn't strike me as high-end. I probably just have weird taste. With the exception of some serious dark Habano wrappers, I pretty much love most high-end commercial dark sticks I smoke. Just haven't found anything that makes me jump for joy with which I can wrap my own. Right now trying to dial something in with the LO Viso and Ligero, both of which I think have potential.
You know I love that LO ligero. I don't think your tastes are weird. I think your blends probably don't line up with those particular leaves. Tobacco is a funny thing. Smoke it by itself, it will taste one way. Blend it with another leaf and it will taste another. It doesn't always behave how we think it should. Thats been my experience at least.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Okay, I'll pm you. But I'll also put the info here: every wrapper at WLT and LO except their various fire-cured offerings, plus the various FX Smith wrappers, plus various Broadleaf things from Larry the Butcher, and everything from Jorge.
Also thinking outside the box. Ever think about unrolling from cigars and re rolling till you find the flavor you are looking for. Might get you a little closer to what type of leaf we need to find.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, a dream of mine would be to travel to a tobacco farm/factory and just sit and learn from the guys there. Smoke some of their blends or even just have full run of their leaves and just try to make my own blend. The. At the end have a completely new source for leaf assuming they would ship direct. I feel that a limiting factor for what we do is that the tobacco sources are limited. How great would it be if it was easier to get tobacco from more factories! We haven’t even scratched the surface of how many types of leaves are out there especially considering each subregion in a region (eg. different parts of Nicaragua vs just Nicaragua). I need to start saving for a trip...

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bliss, here's three parts you don't want to leave out of your considerations:

1) Given your level of perfectionism, can you roll your aforementioned quota of 150 in just two days? There's prolly a load of people who can roll at that rate... but can you roll that rate and maintain your quality?

2) Can you roll at that rate and still have time to order baccy in, warehouse it, sort it, prep it, stash it to age, and... what have I left out? I'm thinking the pricey skilled torcedor is backed by a team of low rent preppers.

3) Can you roll at that rate in half a day? You've been in business before, right? You know how taking orders and fulfilling orders and collecting money and doing paperwork and... Holy Crap! How much mundane drudgery will you have to drag yourself thru before enjoying your skill the other half a day that's left?

Have you put a stopwatch on all of that?

As for getting away with it, look: ReMix does.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Bliss, here's three parts you don't want to leave out of your considerations:

1) Given your level of perfectionism, can you roll your aforementioned quota of 150 in just two days? There's prolly a load of people who can roll at that rate... but can you roll that rate and maintain your quality?

2) Can you roll at that rate and still have time to order baccy in, warehouse it, sort it, prep it, stash it to age, and... what have I left out? I'm thinking the pricey skilled torcedor is backed by a team of low rent preppers.

3) Can you roll at that rate in half a day? You've been in business before, right? You know how taking orders and fulfilling orders and collecting money and doing paperwork and... Holy Crap! How much mundane drudgery will you have to drag yourself thru before enjoying your skill the other half a day that's left?

Have you put a stopwatch on all of that?

As for getting away with it, look: ReMix does.
1) No. I can do 50 in a nine-hour day. 5 mins bunch, 5 mins wrap. Six an hour.
2) No. But I don't do any of those things anyway. I have no stash, no warehouse, my only prep is a "casing" bag. I get the bags in, I roll the things, I smoke the things, I send a few things away. No humi time, no storage.
3) No.
Stopwatch: No.
4.5) Do I actually want to do such a thing, a la Remix or BH? No. This is purely a creative hobby for me, most akin to Buddhist sand mandala creation.
5) Is it food for thought, that even after the growers, processors, ship operators, mail people, and retailers take their cut, I could still clear $3.50 a stick for the cheapest possible stick? I think it is, and the fact that I could clear $500+/day like that is amazing, because the guys rolling at that pace are making minimum wage, because the white boss wants to get paid, the landlord does, the taxman (and thus the politician, the fireman, the policeman, the bureaucrat, the street repair dudes, the teachers....)
6) BUT a hard-working dude running a successful pirate bodega could do well, compared to the aforementioned Arby's nightshift dude.
7) I currently have one very solid CT blend for which I would not take less than $12 for a robusto, so even at 50 a day I'd still be clearing $500. Even back in the day I knew a bodega dude who was charging $6/stick. Like 25 years ago. USA-rolled robustos typically fetch $8-14 nowadays.

Last edited: