What's new

Adventures in home rolling

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
My last blend was a little too strong. Tweaked it a bit and rolled a few to see if I like this one better before rolling a bunch. Wasn't really feeling it today so they turned out kinda rough.
1 leaf Nica Habano seco, 1 1/2 leaves corojo viso, 1/2 leaf Dominican ligero, Dominican binder, and PA broadleaf wrapper. Now to wait and see how they turned out. Will probably give one a shot next weekend.
There is no such thing as too strong! I am nicotine proof

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Thank you! I'm super critical of myself. I know I can do better but I think my wrapper leaf got a little too moist so I had some issues with tearing. Next time I will use the broadleaf as a binder and use up some of my corojo maduro wrapper.

I'm also anxious to use the leaf that was gifted to me by @USHOG so will be working on a blend soon to use mostly his leaf as filler and binder. I need to place an order soon too. I want to grab a few different wrappers and some criollo viso and ligero. Even having a cooler full of cigar leaf just doesn't seem like enough. Lol
I'm going to put in another order for more whole leaf too. Not sure what I'm going to get - might just get another couple kits again - thinking I'll get the Terroso Profundo and Oscuro y Rico. I'm also going to go ahead and get a chaveta and was thinking I'd pickup this one.

I tried rolling with the Melodioso Cremosa kit this evening... @HIM* wasn't kidding when he mentioned that kit being a little more difficult to work with. The wrapper was super thin - very hard not to tear it. The binder also wasn't nearly as tough as the binder in the Azucarodo Oscuro kit. I only made three cigars this evening - they ended up being gigantic and I had to use a whole lead of binder and a whole leaf of wrapper on each one to get to a point where I thought they'd be smokable. I had half a leaf of wrapper from the first kit so used that on one of them.

I think they'll smoke, even thought they're not remotely pretty!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'm going to put in another order for more whole leaf too. Not sure what I'm going to get - might just get another couple kits again - thinking I'll get the Terroso Profundo and Oscuro y Rico. I'm also going to go ahead and get a chaveta and was thinking I'd pickup this one.

I tried rolling with the Melodioso Cremosa kit this evening... @HIM* wasn't kidding when he mentioned that kit being a little more difficult to work with. The wrapper was super thin - very hard not to tear it. The binder also wasn't nearly as tough as the binder in the Azucarodo Oscuro kit. I only made three cigars this evening - they ended up being gigantic and I had to use a whole lead of binder and a whole leaf of wrapper on each one to get to a point where I thought they'd be smokable. I had half a leaf of wrapper from the first kit so used that on one of them.

I think they'll smoke, even thought they're not remotely pretty!
Those are massive!!! For rolling free hand and just starting that ain't bad at all. It's amazing the difference a mold makes and finding the leaf that works well for wrapping and binding. The Terroso Profundo kit is what I ordered initially and I loved the blend. Lots of spice, some sweet tobacco with hints of leather and earth. The kits aren't a bad way to go, but now that I am getting a feel for the varieties and their flavors I'm comfortable getting my filler leaf by the pound. The Dominican binder is tough, easy to work with, and works extremely well and that's what I use except for the PA broadleaf that is mostly wrapper grade but some of it is only good for binder. Corojo and criollo have been my favorite filler combo to date, but adding some Nica Habano adds some more chocolate, cream, and earth to the spicy and sweet.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Those are massive!!! For rolling free hand and just starting that ain't bad at all. It's amazing the difference a mold makes and finding the leaf that works well for wrapping and binding. The Terroso Profundo kit is what I ordered initially and I loved the blend. Lots of spice, some sweet tobacco with hints of leather and earth. The kits aren't a bad way to go, but now that I am getting a feel for the varieties and their flavors I'm comfortable getting my filler leaf by the pound. The Dominican binder is tough, easy to work with, and works extremely well and that's what I use except for the PA broadleaf that is mostly wrapper grade but some of it is only good for binder. Corojo and criollo have been my favorite filler combo to date, but adding some Nica Habano adds some more chocolate, cream, and earth to the spicy and sweet.
I think what I want to do is go with the kits one more time and hopefully I'll be a little more confident by the time I'm through them. Then I'll start buying pounds of leaves. Been eye-balling the molds on there too. But at 90-bucks, that'll have to wait a while. I'm just using strips of magazine as a mold right now and I'm really amazed at how well it works. Looking forward to getting to the point where a mold makes sense though!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I think what I want to do is go with the kits one more time and hopefully I'll be a little more confident by the time I'm through them. Then I'll start buying pounds of leaves. Been eye-balling the molds on there too. But at 90-bucks, that'll have to wait a while. I'm just using strips of magazine as a mold right now and I'm really amazed at how well it works. Looking forward to getting to the point where a mold makes sense though!
Try using strips of paper towel. A little more money, but a lot more absorbent and will help your sticks dry out and be ready to smoke sooner.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Leafonly has molds for $51.99. The design is a little different but I've had mine almost a year now and it works great.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the forum and the thread! Just checked out your photo album you uploaded, very impressive. Any tips or pointers you can give on wrapping perfectos is greatly appreciated.
Absolutely! Mesa is a dry place. It's all about pliability as you already know or, will need to know? Know your leaf. thicker leaf wants more prep time to absorb moister. it should not be rushed, it likes to set at it's own pace. Get a feel for pliable perimeters.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
The PA broadleaf has been very forgiving and tastes good to me on top of that. I have figured out the proper case of the leaf and getting the proper stretch down, but I still struggle with getting the wrapper to look as good as it can.